Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Urban Meyer

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • #16
    Well, yeah Tressel was kind of on the hot seat.

    But the big difference is that Tressel's controversies broke NCAA rules and they were going to be punished for it. The NCAA doesn't have any jurisdiction in this case. LOIC could be used I guess but they won't do that to a program as big as tOSU.

    tOSU knows that NCAA won't do shit here, so they are doing the bare minimum to keep it rolling.

    Comment


    • #17
      Originally posted by ono View Post
      Well, yeah Tressel was kind of on the hot seat.

      But the big difference is that Tressel's controversies broke NCAA rules and they were going to be punished for it. The NCAA doesn't have any jurisdiction in this case. LOIC could be used I guess but they won't do that to a program as big as tOSU.

      tOSU knows that NCAA won't do shit here, so they are doing the bare minimum to keep it rolling.
      They were so lucky that maryland started killing players

      Comment


      • #18
        There are a lot of moving parts to this situation: emails, texts, a messy divorce, several marriage relationships, a complicated timeline, an ambivalent chain of command, no charges filed, coaching history, no convictions, botched interviews, and media sensationalism. No matter how it played out it was going to be messy, but I think that the person who had the best chance to gracefully avoid the controversy failed big time; and that person is Gene Smith. From what I can discern, he was there for the hire, he was informed of the potential problem, and he did not step forward to adequately handle the situation on behalf of the university, the athletic department, or the coach. Isn't that part of the job of the AD? If a similar situation had happened regarding Bill Self, I would pray for an AD who would step in and help attenuate the damage. This was a very delicate challenge for the board, and I suspect its actions represent a thoughtful (and desperate) attempt to mollify the situation; to tiptoe around some complex social, political, and legal issues while preventing the total destruction of the program. It is one of those situations in which no matter who is looking at it, the outcome is flawed.
        Last edited by WhiteJak; 08-23-18, 06:23 PM.

        Comment


        • #19
          Originally posted by WhiteJak View Post
          It is one of those situations in which no matter who is looking at it, the outcome is flawed.
          I think most non tOSU fans consider the punishment to be "flawed". Three game suspension followed by an emotionless, horribly read apology letter that didn't even mention the person who was abused? Okay, he tweeted an apology to the victim the next day after getting tremendous backlash from anyone with a pulse. If this was Bill Self, I would have demanded and expected more contrition. The power Meyer wields at tOSU is insane.

          Comment


          • #20
            I wonder if Urban's attorneys advised him not to issue an apology specific to the victim at the press conference, fearing how that might play out legally.

            Comment


            • #21
              This guy seems like he's stable:

              Former Ohio State assistant coach Zach Smith took to Twitter on Wednesday to break his silence since the completion of the university's investigation, saying in a number of posts that he believes that people in the media, including ESPN, have hurt his children as well as Ohio State football players, staff and fans.

              "Silence = over. I tried," Smith said on Twitter. "I can't watch [clowns in the media] continue 2 run their mouths-not only w/o knowledge but w/ complete disregard 4 my children. Their mother had plenty of disregard 4 them in this. Time 4 u all 2 face the damage ur causing."

              Smith was fired July 23, after a pattern of past allegations of abuse of his ex-wife, Courtney Smith, came to light in a Facebook post by reporter Brett McMurphy. Also in July, an Ohio judge issued a protection order that forbids Zach Smith from getting within 500 feet of Courtney Smith.

              Comment


              • #22
                Originally posted by Joe Norris View Post
                This guy seems like he's stable:

                Former Ohio State assistant coach Zach Smith took to Twitter on Wednesday to break his silence since the completion of the university's investigation, saying in a number of posts that he believes that people in the media, including ESPN, have hurt his children as well as Ohio State football players, staff and fans.

                "Silence = over. I tried," Smith said on Twitter. "I can't watch [clowns in the media] continue 2 run their mouths-not only w/o knowledge but w/ complete disregard 4 my children. Their mother had plenty of disregard 4 them in this. Time 4 u all 2 face the damage ur causing."

                Smith was fired July 23, after a pattern of past allegations of abuse of his ex-wife, Courtney Smith, came to light in a Facebook post by reporter Brett McMurphy. Also in July, an Ohio judge issued a protection order that forbids Zach Smith from getting within 500 feet of Courtney Smith.

                So you're saying he's available to hire.......

                Comment

                Working...
                X