Type of Coaching Hire You tend to favor

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Type of Coaching Hire You tend to favor

Just something I was curious about. Lists are not inclusive.
    Established big name coach (Miles, Hoke, Nutt, Stoops etc)
    30.00%
    Up and comer (Candle, Harsin, Anderson etc.)
    50.00%
    Option oriented coach (Fritz, Monken, Calhoun, etc)
    10.00%
    Beaty will win enough to keep his job
    10.00%

The poll is expired.

I hadn't done a poll before and I was just curious about this topic. The categories are hard to make precise and I didn't list every possible coach in each category, but hopefully you all get the basic idea. :-)

Comment

Favor and expect are two different things. I'd favor an established big name coach, but I doubt we get one unless we hire one with a shit-ton of baggage...and still pay out the ass for him. My biggest concern with going that route isn't that they would be using us as a stepping stone to get back to a more name program; my biggest concern is that they know that their career is already over and will be using us for a last big payday and just mail it in on coaching and recruiting until they are replaced.

Comment

• WhiteJak
        WhiteJak commented
        Editing a comment
        So I made it "favor" to remove some of the ambivalence.

I’d favor someone with experience. I don’t k ow what kind of baggage Froboz is referring to. If we’re talking criminal charges and coverups, I don’t want that guy. If it’s a few DUIs hire the guy a chauffeur. If it’s just that the guy hasn’t been able to beat Alabama, tOSU, or USC (bad example recently but you get the idea) and the fan base is whacky in their expectations, then welcome aboard.

The grayest I'd go, and I know this is probably a little crazy, is Gary Pinkel. I’d set some boundaries on how much social crap I’d allow though. I think his problems were in many ways above his head and I doubt he had any support from his administration. We’ve seen that things didn’t improve when he left. Like I said, he’s in that grey area where I could go either way. I don’t really care about the fact he coached at Mizzou. It’s not like he graduated from there.
      Last edited by KUGDI; 07-26-18, 03:12 PM.

Comment

• ono
        ono commented
        Editing a comment
        Pinkel is approaching 70 and is entering his 4th year out of the game. He's done, and I wouldn't touch him with a 10ft pole, regardless of the MIzzou affiliation. He could be Phog Allen's grandson for all I care, and still wouldn't based on his age and where he is at the moment in his career.

• KUGDI
        KUGDI commented
        Editing a comment
        Fair enough. I’m just using him as an example of the grayest I’d go (not referring to age, though he is 66). I get what you are saying and agree with it. But if someone said he’s a former successful B12 coach who recruited KC & TX very well, I’d listen to that argument too.

If he were the choice I’d tell him he’d have to get a house with a guest home for his chauffeur to live in, and part of his contract is he doesn’t get to drive or at least doesn’t get to drive unsupervised. Or maybe just require a breath-lock or whatever they’re called.

• LifestyleJayhawk
        LifestyleJayhawk commented
        Editing a comment
        Gary Pinkel's decision to support his players boycott has cost Missouri untold millions of dollars in tuition and state funding. They have seen significant declines in enrollment. Empty dorms etc. Good lord why would you want to bring that spit show to KU?

Leach.

I picked up and comer over the established option basically because your examples are either absolute pipe dreams or on the back side of their career, so I question their motivation (see Weis, Charlie).

Ideally, I want an up and comer that has had success at a couple stops - coordinating kick ass offense somewhere P5, then good HC in the MAC or somewhere. Someone who has proven his success is sustainable through multiple programs/situations.

I will say, I was beating the air raid drum last time, and while it's lost some of its luster for me, I still think it's the way to go for KU to be successful. We just need a coach who knows what the hell he is doing. Specifically when it comes to identifying a QB.

I do lean offense 99% of the time when looking for a coach.

Comment

Originally posted by KUGDI View Post
        I’d favor someone with experience. I don’t k ow what kind of baggage Froboz is referring to. If we’re talking criminal charges and coverups, I don’t want that guy. If it’s a few DUIs hire the guy a chauffeur. If it’s just that the guy hasn’t been able to beat Alabama, tOSU, or USC (bad example recently but you get the idea) and the fan base is whacky in their expectations, then welcome aboard.

The grayest I'd go, and I know this is probably a little crazy, is Gary Pinkel. I’d set some boundaries on how much social crap I’d allow though. I think his problems were in many ways above his head and I doubt he had any support from his administration. We’ve seen that things didn’t improve when he left. Like I said, he’s in that grey area where I could go either way. I don’t really care about the fact he coached at Mizzou. It’s not like he graduated from there.
        I'm basically saying that no legitimate big name coach is going to look at us unless that coach can't get hired anywhere else due to off the field indiscretions - major baggage.

Comment

• KUGDI
          KUGDI commented
          Editing a comment
          So Briles? Who else would even be on that list?

Briles is a nonstarter, don't care if he was railroaded. this day and age, he is done.

Of coaches with varying levels of baggage, Kiffin, Venables would be about the only ones I can think of off the top of my head that I'd be remotely interested in. Bielema has baggage I suppose if you believe some of the rumors. Otherwise, I'm drawing a blank of coaches with small indiscretions that would be an option.

Comment

• KUGDI
          KUGDI commented
          Editing a comment
          I completely agree about Briles by the way. He’s firmly outside the grey area.

I realize this poll is hard to frame, but the point was to get some discussion going. I am glad that is happening. It's hard to avoid crossover in the options. I tend to favor an up and comer of some kind over one of the big names that have been mentioned. You face a risk of losing one from any of the categories in 2-4 years, but for different reasons. I am hoping that Long is the one to sort it out from there. It would be nice if we could stumble on someone who is both successful and likes the culture enough to stay for a while.

I do like Monken, Calhoun, and Bohannon from Kennsaw State. I think they would shake up the league a bit, but I fear that a pure triple option approach may ultimately be a short term solution.

My favorite for the last 2 hires has been Fritz and I think I will stay with him. He's adapts well, he is not afraid to open up his offense, he has a lot of Kansas intangibles, and I think there is a reasonable chance that he would come to consider Kansas a career destination if he is successful.

I like Brian Bohannon as a dark horse. What he has done at Kennesaw State is remarkable. However, it will be hard to get him out of Georgia ... and Georgia Tech may come calling when Johnson retires. I think Georgia Southern is courting him now.

Comment

• ono
          ono commented
          Editing a comment
          I really hope we can do better than hiring someone from an FCS school. If not, we might as well fold up shop.

I don't want anyone who hasn't at least been a coordinator at a P5.

The best ADs are the ones that can recognize, target, and land the up and comers that are the real deal. That's the only thing that will work here. No big name coach who's actually worth a damn would come here, not for any price. If we land a big name coach and pay out the ass for them, raise the red flag.

Comment

Going back through the annals of Kansas Football history, who would you call an established big name coach ? Weis ? When I started at KU, it was Bon Voyage Bud Moore's last year, Fambrough took over. Mike Gottfried might be in .that category, Valensente wasn't, Mason was an up and comer, Allen was a football attempt for a Roy Williams, Mangino was a coordinator, Gill- bad call, Beaty, any port in a storm. I want a proven commodity, but reality looks like a Fritz type guy, and I don't want him. I'd prefer a defensive guy, but that may not be realistic in the Big XII

Comment

If you want a baggage laden coach, with results, Hugh Freeze is your guy. Fired by OLE Miss for cause, banging hookers on the company dime, got $0 when he was fired. Kind of funny from a guy who went out of his way to tell others he is holier than thou. That pay cut from $5.5M has to hurt. His wife has forgiven him, she misses the dough, so have her accompany him any time he leaves town. He is still a little toxic. Alabama was interested in hiring him, as an analyst, but the SEC Commish said no. The have a policy where the Commish can say no if the coach is involved with NCAA issues. I doubt KU would hire him.

Briles is beyond toxic.He lasted one day as an assistant in the CFL. The Toronto team was shamed into firing him.

Give me an up and comer, not a late in life coach looking for one more check. An AD that you are paying $1.5M a year, should have a big rolodex of potential candidates.

Comment

I favor some type of option coach, like from the service academies, but I think an up-and-comer is most realistic. Someone like Les Miles would knock it out of the park as an initial hire, though.

Comment

Originally posted by Protist View Post
                The best ADs are the ones that can recognize, target, and land the up and comers that are the real deal. That's the only thing that will work here. No big name coach who's actually worth a damn would come here, not for any price. If we land a big name coach and pay out the ass for them, raise the red flag.
                You know what, I'd be fine with Les Miles.

Comment

I'd say Les has a few more miles in him. Come on down.

Comment

LEACH

We can outbid WSU. Do it, Long. I swear to god I will up my donation from 0 to multiple thousands if you hire him. It's a drop in a large bucket, but this fanbase will go ape shit if it happens.

Comment

Working...
                    X