Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Can teachers file for unemployment in the Summer?

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • Can teachers file for unemployment in the Summer?

    I just read a report about the latest jobs data and it is mentioned that, "But how good or bad the unemployment picture really may not come into view until next month, because of distortions from seasonal adjustments.

    Including teachers and others who experience seasonal unemployment, total joblessness actually rose 1.23 million."

    Why the hell would teachers be included in unemployment numbers unless they were actually discharged and their job was not there in the fall at the start of the school year? They are still employed, they just chose a profession that takes a 3 month vacation.

    I'm not trying to turn this into a debate about the importance of teachers, but the technical data that goes into these numbers.

  • #2
    When my mom was teaching highschool here in ICT she was given a choice to be paid year round at slightly lower check (income spread over 12 months instead of 9). However a friend of mine teaches in Winfield and takes his pay across the school year and then gets a part time job every summer.

    I would have to agree that teachers collecting unemployment over the summer is a tad silly.

    Comment


    • #3
      Those who can, do. Those who can't, teach. Those who can't teach, teach gym.

      Comment


      • #4
        Originally posted by Sherlock View Post
        Those who can, do. Those who can't, teach. Those who can't teach, teach gym.

        Comment


        • #5
          Originally posted by ICThawk View Post
          When my mom was teaching highschool here in ICT she was given a choice to be paid year round at slightly lower check (income spread over 12 months instead of 9). However a friend of mine teaches in Winfield and takes his pay across the school year and then gets a part time job every summer.

          I would have to agree that teachers collecting unemployment over the summer is a tad silly.
          Not just silly, but fraudulent. They are employed. If they have free time and wish to supplement their income in the Summer, like your friend, they're free to do so, but not suck the gov't teat.

          Comment


          • #6
            I'm unclear on how unemployment works, BUT...wouldn't you have to prove that you're unemployed to collect unemployment?

            What I'm saying is, that if it's allowed, it's not fraudulent...bogus, but not fraudulent

            Comment


            • #7
              I'm going to guess that teachers are still "employed" during the summer. I'd bet they don't get let go for three months, only to have to be re-hired again in the fall. Plus, I'm sure their benefits don't stop during the summer.

              I think that article is wrong.

              Comment


              • #8
                Originally posted by Joe Norris View Post
                I'm unclear on how unemployment works, BUT...wouldn't you have to prove that you're unemployed to collect unemployment?

                What I'm saying is, that if it's allowed, it's not fraudulent...bogus, but not fraudulent
                Good point. If it is allowed than this country is further down the shitter than I thought.

                Comment


                • #9
                  Yes, I'm unemployed over the weekend

                  Comment


                  • #10
                    With that said, I do know that some teachers sign contracts for only one school year. When the school year ends, their contract ends. Technically they might be unemployed at that moment. I am unsure how benefits plays into this though.

                    Comment


                    • #11
                      Originally posted by Sherlock View Post
                      Those who can, do. Those who can't, teach. Those who can't teach, teach gym.
                      :facepalm:

                      Comment


                      • #12
                        If a teacher is non-renewed, then yes they are unemployed. This is the only way that I could see a teacher drawing unemployment during the summer.

                        I used to know a douchebag who was a para educator at LHS. Member of the local anarchist club. How there is an organized anarchist club is beyond me, but that's another story.

                        Anyway, this asshat would take unemployment during the summer because of seasonal employment (a para's contract is for a certain number of days). He also worked the system to get food stamps. Dude didn't need either, but was just looking for any way to fuck over the system. Assholes like that piss me off the most, although I would probably say that he is in the minority of people using those services.

                        Comment


                        • #13
                          Originally posted by TheSinisterUrge View Post
                          He also worked the system to get food stamps. Dude didn't need either, but was just looking for any way to fuck over the system. Assholes like that piss me off the most, although I would probably say that he is in the minority of people using those services.
                          And therein lies the problem with all government systems (and perhaps all systems in general). Assholes will always exploit the weaknesses inherent in the system, and provide worst case scenario ammunition for it's critics who desire it's elimination. The system can then be either reformed, and it's new weaknesses exploited, or the system can be scrapped in favor of another imperfect system. And at that point the cycle begins again.

                          Comment


                          • #14
                            Originally posted by Hoopo View Post
                            And therein lies the problem with all government systems (and perhaps all systems in general). Assholes will always exploit the weaknesses inherent in the system, and provide worst case scenario ammunition for it's critics who desire it's elimination. The system can then be either reformed, and it's new weaknesses exploited, or the system can be scrapped in favor of another imperfect system. And at that point the cycle begins again.
                            I agree with all this except I think the number exploiting the system are far greater than you'd like to admit. No system will be perfect, but we make it far too reasonable and comfortable to exploit the system instead of actually fending for yourself and contributing to society.

                            Comment


                            • #15
                              Let them eat cake

                              Comment

                              Working...
                              X