Should okj leave the building?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by okjayhawker View Post
    Mocked, scolded, hated just for having different views?
    Some people think cucumbers taste better pickled. That's a different view, but I wouldn't mock someone for feeling that way.

If your views can't hold up in the competition of the market, well, you'd better pull your views up by their bootstraps and stop being such a snowflake.

You do not have a right to not be offended. You do not have a right to be coddled and accepted for who you are. Are those nice things? Sure. But no one is entitled to them.

Comment

I miss so much that goes on in the swamp, not that I'm complaining.

SPOILERI didn't vote because I don't think anything that happens on the politics board should have any bearing on anything that happens elsewhere on the board....there's a reason it's opt-in, and there isn't a politics board on the internet that isn't an absolute shit show.

First and foremost, I believe in science. That this pandemic has been politicized is one of the more egregious things that's happened in my lifetime.

I don't think I've opened the coronavirus thread since june or july because I don't think there's any reason to discuss it. You're either for measures to slow the spread or you're not, and no amount of data is going to change anyone's mind, because if you don't believe in science, I don't know what to tell you.

I think one of the last times I opened the thread, okj had family that tested positive, IIRC....how you could see that happen to a loved one and still stick to your anti-mask guns, I don't know....it's baffling to me.

You have to wear shirt and shoes in public, put on a fucking mask or stay inside. I would never wish illness upon anyone, but you're not getting my sympathy if you're irresponsible and catch it...I may even get amusement out of your comeuppance, and you (this is the collective "you", not okj in particular, but he does fall in this category) deserve everything you have coming to you

and, I've met and like you okj, though I don't agree with a lot of your politics (what I've seen, anyway)

While I'm on my soapbox, I will say, the complete lack of nuance on the internet these days is exhausting....everything is turned up to 11 and it's impossible to have a discussion, this board is a bit of a unicorn in that regard.....most discussions stay civil and I think that's commendable (and somewhat fascinating)

My opinion doesn't really hold any weight though, I go to the politics board maybe once a quarter, and usually it's an accidental click....I'm pretty sure last time there was a controversy I handed over the reigns and I haven't heard much, if anything, since.

I wrote a bunch of stuff that probably doesn't need to be read, but I didn't want to delete it, so I spolier tagged it

If you're an anti-masking covid denier, I put you a couple notches above flat earthers and on par with anti-vaxxers..."you" in the royal sense, not specifically okj...I think you're picking the wrong hill to die on (lol, literally and figuratively, I guess)....I don't think they're evil, I think they're misguided....willful ignorance isn't great though

Don't leave, but don't be a jackass, that's about all I really have to say

Comment

Being a Flat Earther doesn't contribute to untold suffering, death, heartbreak, and economic devastation. It's an amusing quirk.

This is more than a "difference of opinion." This is malignant, willful ignorance. No one can claim that the data and information isn't out there. People who act contrary to the established body of knowledge are doing so for their own reasons- be it psychological, political, or ideological- but in the end it is a deliberate pathologic choice and it has been, is, and will continue to be devastating to individuals, families, and society.

Comment

Originally posted by GardArmighty View Post
          Being a Flat Earther doesn't contribute to untold suffering, death, heartbreak, and economic devastation. It's an amusing quirk.

This is more than a "difference of opinion." This is malignant, willful ignorance. No one can claim that the data and information isn't out there. People who act contrary to the established body of knowledge are doing so for their own reasons- be it psychological, political, or ideological- but in the end it is a deliberate pathologic choice and it has been, is, and will continue to be devastating to individuals, families, and society.
          That’s fair....I was more thinking on the dumbness scale, rather than the devastation scale, which I should have clarified. Though I think they’re damn close on the dumbness scale too

I can’t make a person believe anything, and I have no control over their actions, I can only choose/hope to avoid those that are irresponsible. Like I said, I don’t WANT anyone to die, but I’m not donating to a go fund me or offering well wishes to someone that gets what they were asking for

as mentioned in my spoiler, I don’t know how one could see what COVID can do to a loved one and STILL actively ask for it

how many people have to die before these folks wise up?

im not saying it’s ok, but I think a lot of it has to do with ego...some folks are so dug in that it would be unacceptable to change their mind. But that’s what reasonable people do when presented with evidence and I think they’d be welcomed with open arms if they changed their mind

Comment

I think you are not understanding my view on masks Joe Norris , I never, (and you can look back) said that wearing masks correctly wouldnt reduce the chance of spreading or contracting the china virus. Not once. But it will not eliminate the risk., but when I see all these morons wearing them with their noses out, or taking them down to talk to someone, or our supposed president elect taking his off and immediately cough in his hand. I am saying, what is the point. I believe it should be a personal decision, not from some dem dictator.

My wife and I are going to colorado and renting a cabin for her birthday, so it looks like if we want to go to a bar or restaurant, i will have to wear one, and I will for her. But i guess you only have to wear them until you get to your table, because evidently you cant spread the virus when you are sitting down.

Btw, my son in law has it, so their family didnt get to come to thanksgiving, missed my daughter her daughters very much.

Comment

Originally posted by Protist View Post

This whole thread is about you and nothing anyone has said has sunk in. I want to change my vote now.
              You can change your vote, fine with me, I am just questioning why you would hate someone for their views? or why you of gooner think you are the ones who get to decide what is right and scold someone if they dont believe what you do? I remember when the dems were supposedly the party of comapassion, and inclusion. Now I knew that was really not the case, but you guys arent even trying to hide it now, which is kind of refreshing in a way.

Since you say this thread is about me, I will broach a subject I dont think I have ever really gotten in to on the board. For me, probably the most horrific thing in the world today is abortion. I consider it murder of an innocent baby, you may not. But I dont hate you because of your view of it.

Comment

Thanks to everyone who participated (except my wife) the final vote was 18-5 after protist changed his vote. so I guess I get to stay. I am here for entertainment, I dont spend a ton of time here, I post a wide range of stuff that entertains me. From time to time I get something wrong, not because I intend to, its just i dont fact check every single thing I see. But I do retract it if proven to be wrong.

I know some of you just seem to take your selves way to seriously and it upsets you that I don't, I think that is kind of the bottom line.
                Last edited by okjayhawker; 11-29-20, 09:50 AM.

Comment

Thanks to everyone who participated (except my wife) the final vote was 18-5 after protist changed his vote. so I guess I get to stay. I am here for entertainment, I dont spend a ton of time here, I post a wide range of stuff that entertains me. From time to time I get something wrong, not because I intend to, its just i dont fact check every single thing I see. But I do retract it if proven to be wrong.

I know some of you just seem to take your selves way to seriously and it upsets you that I don't, I think that is kind of the bottom line.
                  I think it’s fair to be kinda goofy on a message board...hell, look at my post history for proof...I just think spreading misinformation in your real life is dangerous...and if you’re saying you stick to the facts in real life, troll away

Comment

This poll and thread are a successful exercise in self-aggrandizement, and the negative responses okj gets in it work to increase his feeling he is correct on issues, rather than promote learning on his part. A proper poll that would display some on-point courage would be for okj to ask if his posts overall are ignorant, yes or no. That would remove the desired martyr role, and get to the fact of the matter--as I have seen it anyway--that most all his posts I have seen range from dull ignorance to toxic and dangerous ignorance (on the virus at least).

Comment

You don't? Really? You are the person who attaches your feelings to how Trump is treated here.

Comment

From time to time I get something wrong, not because I intend to, its just i dont fact check every single thing I see.
                        I think it would be fun if for the next week or two you let us in on which is which. Just a little note on each post on whether you have fact-checked it before posting.

Comment

You can change your vote, fine with me, I am just questioning why you would hate someone for their views? or why you of gooner think you are the ones who get to decide what is right and scold someone if they dont believe what you do? I remember when the dems were supposedly the party of comapassion, and inclusion. Now I knew that was really not the case, but you guys arent even trying to hide it now, which is kind of refreshing in a way.

Since you say this thread is about me, I will broach a subject I dont think I have ever really gotten in to on the board. For me, probably the most horrific thing in the world today is abortion. I consider it murder of an innocent baby, you may not. But I dont hate you because of your view of it.
                          I don't hate you personally. I don't know you. But I hate everything that you represent yourself as on this board: conspiracy theorist, Trump sycophant, science denier, willfully ignorant. If that makes me "non-inclusive" then we just have different understandings of what inclusion means. I don't decide what's right and I'm more than willing to have debates about subjects that might have multiple viewpoints that have merit. For example, you bring up abortion. I believe very strongly that it is not murder and that the government has no business telling a woman what to do with her body. But I also acknowledge there are opponents of my views who can make good faith arguments against it. What I will not engage in though is giving validation to whackjob, bad faith extremism that tries to masquerade itself as actual views by attempting to "debate" them from a position grounded in reality.

Comment

Working...
                          X