Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

[Serious] Chess Thread

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • [Serious] Chess Thread

    So, I’m finally trying to learn chess...I have chess time and I’m slow, but if you want to add me, DaveFiasco

    but really, I’m here to learn the basics outside of where pieces can move...I’m trying to understand how to lure folks in

    I know I’ll probably have the normal cheeky responses, but I’m actually here to learn strategy

    Outside of pawns, what am I ok losing early? Anything?

    when is it time to bring something out other than a pawn?

    can you be aggressive and still win?

    I know all this is dependent on the opponent, but just general how to...my latest game, he got me in check with a pawn before I pulled anything else out haha

  • #2
    Step 1: Learn Chess
    Step 2: Go insane
    Step 3: Profit!

    https://chesscraft.blogspot.com/2011...ss-player.html

    Comment


    • #3
      I love chess and play all the time, even though I'm not very good. What site are you playing on? I'll be happy to help you. In no time, I can take you from knowing almost nothing about chess to becoming a really shitty player!

      Comment


      • #4
        Originally posted by Joe Norris View Post
        So, I’m finally trying to learn chess...I have chess time and I’m slow, but if you want to add me, DaveFiasco

        but really, I’m here to learn the basics outside of where pieces can move...I’m trying to understand how to lure folks in

        I know I’ll probably have the normal cheeky responses, but I’m actually here to learn strategy

        Outside of pawns, what am I ok losing early? Anything? You shouldn't be ok losing anything unless it's part of your plan.

        when is it time to bring something out other than a pawn? No correct answer, there are many different starting strategies

        can you be aggressive and still win? Absolutely

        I know all this is dependent on the opponent, but just general how to...my latest game, he got me in check with a pawn before I pulled anything else out haha

        Comment


        • #5
          Thought about posting this in the TV thread or the What Are You Watching Tonight thread, but it belongs here. The Queen's Gambit is a good watch. Not transcendent, but really good.

          Comment


          • #6
            I'm on Ep. 7 right now! It's very good. Highly recommend.

            Comment


            • #7
              Lol. Yeah I stayed up till 3 finishing it last night. I think I missed part of the last episode though.

              Comment


              • #8
                I was the Oliver Hall chess champion back in the late 80s. That's how I know most people who play don't really know how to play because I was just lucky.

                Comment


                • #9
                  No one likes a braggart, Sean.

                  Comment


                  • #10
                    Jealousy is a disease, get well soon bitch!

                    Comment


                    • #11
                      Originally posted by sean View Post
                      Jealousy is a disease, get well soon bitch!
                      Check. MATE!

                      Comment


                      • #12
                        Originally posted by sean View Post
                        I was the Oliver Hall chess champion back in the late 80s. That's how I know most people who play don't really know how to play because I was just lucky.
                        Man, you must have been very popular with the gals.

                        Comment


                        • #13
                          Originally posted by EasyDisease View Post

                          Man, you must have been very popular with the gals.
                          This might be a surprise to everyone, but I wasn't popular with the ladies when I lived in the dorm. I was 17 in my freshman year and looked about 14. So, instead I played basketball at Robinson gym every single day when I lived in Oliver and that's how I even spent my Friday nights when the rest of the world was out partying. I don't think the few days of chess for 14 people impacted anything. I only played because my RA was running the thing and begged us to participate.

                          Comment


                          • #14
                            I highly recommend The Queens Gambit on Netflix.

                            Comment


                            • #15
                              Originally posted by beakumhawks View Post
                              I highly recommend The Queens Gambit on Netflix.
                              Me too. (Scroll up)

                              Comment

                              Working...
                              X