No announcement yet.

iOS 14 Release

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I'm about ready to dump both and go back to a non smart phone. Maybe just an old style flip phone that can call and text and that is it.

Comment

Originally posted by WolfShirtSophomore View Post
      I'm about ready to dump both and go back to a non smart phone. Maybe just an old style flip phone that can call and text and that is it.
      I see these comments from time to time, never get to ask if they're serious, so here we are....are you serious? not really an attack, but, I understand wanting to be able to "unplug", but these just seem like hyperbole...do you really want a phone without internet capabilities?

Why not just get a smart phone and keep most apps off it? Seems like you'd probably find yourself in some situations where you wished you'd had a smart phone and not the other way around....or maybe you're just kidding anyway

Comment

Originally posted by Joe Norris View Post
        Honest question, as someone that uses Siri for texting and other menial requests, what sucks so much about Siri?

I don’t really have a preference, I use google in my bedroom and office and Alexa in my kitchen and living room....not for any reason other than I’ve collected random gadgets throughout my life
        Context matters and it seems to work for you, which is good. Siri is generally much better now in iOS 14 than previous versions. But it still trails Google Assistant by bunches for what I do. This article breaks down much about the comparison. https://9to5google.com/2020/07/01/go...-ios-14-video/

Watch the video and see direct comparisons. For example, simply understanding what is on the screen and receiving commands resulted in Google Assistant doing what was told accurately 6 times and Siri did so just 2 times. Even when Siri sent the photo via text as requested, it required multiple interactions to clarify while the Google version sent immediately as told. I like brevity and correct results more than correct results that require answering 3 or 4 additional questions. On the other hand, if I am driving, and can't see my screen, then the extra interactivity might be helpful. With covid, I don't drive enough to know.

Later in the video, he asks Google Assistant to remember his dad's date of birth and then to remind him the day before at noon to buy a present and the Assistant gets it all correct. Siri fails at this task completely. Siri also could not instantly record a meeting and I do use that feature often enough. Google Assistant does even better versus Siri than in the previous set of tests I noted in the last paragraph.

I have many examples of asking Siri to do simple things and get, "I am sorry . . ." and immediately switch to Google Assistant on my iPhone that does what I need. I wish I could hit the side button and get Google Assistant instead of Siri. I can have Siri open Google Assistant, but that's an extra step.

Comment

I see these comments from time to time, never get to ask if they're serious, so here we are....are you serious? not really an attack, but, I understand wanting to be able to "unplug", but these just seem like hyperbole...do you really want a phone without internet capabilities?

Why not just get a smart phone and keep most apps off it? Seems like you'd probably find yourself in some situations where you wished you'd had a smart phone and not the other way around....or maybe you're just kidding anyway
          Serious. Mostly because I want to boycott Big Tech. I already don't use any social media sites (besides here), but I do use Youtube and Android still. Those 2 are the final 2 to get completely away from Big Tech. It's a hard metaphysical cord to cut, though I do find myself using them less and less. Spending more time socializing IRL and being present with my family.

Comment

Honest question, as someone that uses Siri for texting and other menial requests, what sucks so much about Siri?

I don’t really have a preference, I use google in my bedroom and office and Alexa in my kitchen and living room....not for any reason other than I’ve collected random gadgets throughout my life
            Here are some pictures from the web for “What time does In N Out close?”

Comment

Sean, nice post. Good points. I do feel like you owe a little more loyalty to Apple after what they’ve done for you :p

I’ve tried switching to DuckDuckGo twice and can’t stick with it. It’s pretty good, but I end up switching to Google all the time. Siri vs Google Assistant is about how I see them basically.

Comment

I’m intrigued by phones like these. I think their primary market is probably well-off people buying them as second phones though, fwiw.

https://www.thelightphone.com

Comment

Originally posted by LARPHawk View Post
                  I’m intrigued by phones like these. I think their primary market is probably well-off people buying them as second phones though, fwiw.

https://www.thelightphone.com
                  Now that's what I'm talkin' bout! I wish it was bigger though.

Comment

It's a noble endeavor, but are there really that many people who lack the self-discipline to delete apps that they need a completely different device? A core problem would seem that the people who need that phone the most are going to be the least receptive to it.

Comment

Originally posted by WolfShirtSophomore View Post

Serious. Mostly because I want to boycott Big Tech. I already don't use any social media sites (besides here), but I do use Youtube and Android still. Those 2 are the final 2 to get completely away from Big Tech. It's a hard metaphysical cord to cut, though I do find myself using them less and less. Spending more time socializing IRL and being present with my family.
                      Well, Android is similar to Linux at this point, but for phones. Google does not make money from working on and selling Android -- it's free. Anyone can take the Android source code and use it on any device. Likewise, Google doesn't make money from licensing its suite of mobile Android apps. In that sense, you are not supporting Google, per se, unless you use Maps and have location turned on and other Google apps that have advertisements, etc. (in fact, a quick search and they could be making many tens of billions off of Android for the ads and user data they collect when you use their apps beyond Android). If you wanted to stick it to them, use the Android and don't use any Google apps or Search. Boom Google!!!

LARP, I really do like Apple and appreciate what they have accomplished as one of the bigger companies in the world (knowing you don't get to that point without screwing some people over and all that jazz) . . . I am just particular about my phones. But I have an iPad and a Macbook and Apple stock, etc. My wife and daughter are all in on Apple products. I actively use 2 browsers . . . Safari is logged into Google and I use it for teaching with Google Classroom. It uses Google search and that's typically professional stuff only. I switch to Vivaldi for personal stuff like entertainment and news sites, etc., and that's where I have it set for DuckDuckGo by default. I also switch between iPhone and Android about every other phone. I like being a switch hitter. Heh. My son uses Android for his phone and Linux for his laptop, and as I note above, he's focused on privacy and constantly pushes me to get rid of my Google Nest speakers/hubs I have around the house to instantly play music or give me recipes or answer quick queries. I like that convenience, and he's sure they're spying on me.

EDIT: The lightphone looks absolutely terrible. Heh.
                      Last edited by sean; 01-10-21, 07:08 PM.

Comment

Working...
                      X