iOS 14 Release

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• iOS 14 Release

I know, your android phone is better, etc etc etc...I've used em in the past, I like em, I just have an iPhone at the moment

Anyway, the release of the new OS is today, I think....I haven't done ANY research, but I was googling around this morning cause I had an update, but it was 13.7.

LINK to some news.

Anyone been following and looking forward to this one? Any features to really look forward to?

Android is better. It goes on first and cleans the hair.

Comment

Haven’t read a lot about this one. I do remember reading they changed a couple things that, coming from Android, seemed many years overdue. An incoming phone call will no longer make your phone useless until you answer or decline. And they finally added home screen widgets.

I debated whether to upgrade my X last year and decided against it, but I’ve been ready for a new phone for a while now so the delays are a bummer. I also don’t care much about having a(n extraordinarily expensive) 5G antenna, which means the phones rumored to be coming in the spring are probably a better fit for me. But I’m not
      gonna wait that long.

Comment

Originally posted by KUGDI View Post
        Android is better. It goes on first and cleans the hair.
        No, iPhone is better, it makes the hair silky and smooth!

Comment

I alternate every other phone from Android (e.g., OnePlus) to iPhone. I have an iPhone 11 Pro and I like CarPlay well enough in my new car, so I might just stick with iPhone. But I'll wait to see what OnePlus releases for their next phone.

iOS 14 is not showing up on my iPhone yet. I just checked at it happens at 1 PM Eastern. I haven't kept up but widgets on the home screen is pretty big so . . . um, yay! And, widget stacks looks great!

And, finally a full alphabetical list of apps on the device. DUH! This was part of what drew me to Android. Siri probably still sucks and that will be what takes me back to Android, I suspect.

EDIT: and sheesh -- we can finally set a 3rd-party app as a default app (e.g., for email or browser, etc.).
          Last edited by sean; 09-16-20, 10:57 AM.

Comment

Regarding default apps, if they make google maps "defaultable" and function with the watch, I won't use apple maps ever again.

I was never a huge homescreen widget guy, on android or otherwise, but I do use the widgets from time to time on iOS when you swipe right at the home screen, so I'm not entirely sure I understand what they're adding

I like CarPlay as well, I'm wondering if you've used AndroidAuto, I think the appeal there is Google Maps and I think it connects through bluetooth...kind of annoying that car play requires a plug-in, but the phone is always charged at least.

Siri is fine for what I need her for, which is mainly setting reminders and dictating texts in the car, but you can use google assistant on iPhone, I believe

I'm intrigued by what you mean LARPHawk regarding the incoming phone call rendering the phone useless, or, rather, how/what they did to fix it. That "feature" is certainly a huge pain in the ass.

Comment

My bro is an Apple Fanboi, and in speaking with him yesterday, he mentioned that Apple will now offer "approximate location" tracking. Tons of apps force you to enable location tracking, when in reality they just need to know your approximate location in order to function. Seems like a smart compromise.

Comment

Originally posted by Joe Norris View Post
                Regarding default apps, if they make google maps "defaultable" and function with the watch, I won't use apple maps ever again.

I was never a huge homescreen widget guy, on android or otherwise, but I do use the widgets from time to time on iOS when you swipe right at the home screen, so I'm not entirely sure I understand what they're adding

I like CarPlay as well, I'm wondering if you've used AndroidAuto, I think the appeal there is Google Maps and I think it connects through bluetooth...kind of annoying that car play requires a plug-in, but the phone is always charged at least.

Siri is fine for what I need her for, which is mainly setting reminders and dictating texts in the car, but you can use google assistant on iPhone, I believe

I'm intrigued by what you mean LARPHawk regarding the incoming phone call rendering the phone useless, or, rather, how/what they did to fix it. That "feature" is certainly a huge pain in the ass.
                I use widgets on my Android a lot. I bought some weather app that that a widget to take up half of my home screen. No swiping, just there.

AndroidAuto is better than CarPlay, but CarPlay is fine. Like you, Google Maps and only Google Maps is fine with me. I hope it can be the default.

I have figured out how to use Google Assistant, but it's still clunky. Let's say I am making a recipe and want to convert cups to ounces. I'd have to ask Siri to open Google Assistant and then I can ask my question (or I need to just find and open Google Assistant). I prefer to just pick up the phone and press the side button and ask my question. The easiest is directly asking Siri and then having her screw it up and give me a bunch of links and not a direct answer. I doubt the new default app will allow me to replace Siri with Google Assistant. If they allowed that, then I probably wouldn't go back to Android.

Comment

Originally posted by EasyDisease View Post
                  My bro is an Apple Fanboi, and in speaking with him yesterday, he mentioned that Apple will now offer "approximate location" tracking. Tons of apps force you to enable location tracking, when in reality they just need to know your approximate location in order to function. Seems like a smart compromise.
                  Apple folded (so far) to Facebook on their big iOS privacy move.

Comment

Originally posted by Joe Norris View Post

On Android a phone call is more like an incoming text alert. A box that drops down where you can answer, decline, or just swipe it away. On iPhone an incoming call takes over the whole screen until it’s resolved. Pretty minor, but clearly worse. It’s disruptive and some calls I want to ignore without declining.

Approximate location is smart. I think Google Maps and Fanduel/Draftkings are the only apps on my phone that have location access.

I wonder how precise the approximate location is. A few hundred yards doesn’t help privacy much. But a mile might let all of Manhattan sports bet in New Jersey. I wonder if apps can demand precise location over approximate. Guess I could just go read about it instead of rambling.

I don’t know how serious they are, but Apple is the only big tech company that even pretends to care about privacy. I’d imagine they still have NSA backdoors, and certainly like any public company they’ll ditch privacy protection the first instant that it’s to their advantage to do so.

Comment

Originally posted by LARPHawk View Post

On Android a phone call is more like an incoming text alert. A box that drops down where you can answer, decline, or just swipe it away. On iPhone an incoming call takes over the whole screen until it’s resolved. Pretty minor, but clearly worse. It’s disruptive and some calls I want to ignore without declining.

Approximate location is smart. I think Google Maps and Fanduel/Draftkings are the only apps on my phone that have location access.

I wonder how precise the approximate location is. A few hundred yards doesn’t help privacy much. But a mile might let all of Manhattan sports bet in New Jersey. I wonder if apps can demand precise location over approximate. Guess I could just go read about it instead of rambling.

I don’t know how serious they are, but Apple is the only big tech company that even pretends to care about privacy. I’d imagine they still have NSA backdoors, and certainly like any public company they’ll ditch privacy protection the first instant that it’s to their advantage to do so.
                      With all of the biometric data that Apple Watches collect (including, in the next iteration, blood-oxygen saturation), they absolutely HAVE to market privacy as a selling point. Even so, I would be wary of allowing Apple to store that kind of info.

Comment

Ok, if anyone’s wondering the approximate location is a 10 square mile circle. It looks like precise location is enabled by default, and that apps will
                        know which it is and can demand precise location.

Can’t complain about it, but it seems like a fairly minor convenience for the small segment of people who care about privacy. When turning off location to all my apps I did notice how many I was giving my exact precise location to when my zip code is more than precise enough.

Comment

Ok, great, yeah I didn't remember that about incoming calls on android. That will be a fabulous feature to have.

Comment

Apple was the company that refused to budge and would not open an iPhone for the FBI. Tim Cook himself wrote a letter to a judge telling him how a back door would compromise security and refused to do it. IIRC, the FBI, in an earlier case that Apple refused to help with, ended up paying a shit-ton of cash to an Israeli hacker to get into a locked iPhone when Apple told them to pound sand.
                            The request could reignite a fight between the Silicon Valley giant and law enforcement over access to encrypted technology.

Comment

What the hell is a widget?

Comment

Working...
                              X