No announcement yet.

The Social Dilemma

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I get notifications for messages (red dot only -- no sound) and for the phone. I've never had them on for anything else. All banners, other notifications, etc. are the first thing I shut off when I get a new phone...nothing drives me more insane than things ringing, pinging, dinging, red-dotting, or popping-up. I check my email every one or two days. My personal phone doesn't even ring, it just vibrates, and I rarely answer it. I usually just wait to see if someone leaves a VM, and if they don't then I take that to mean that it wasn't important so I don't call back.

I'm on FB to keep up with my groups of friends who are all distinct groups that have no cross-over: my friends from growing up in LA, my military friends, my friends from my time at KU, and my friends from NorCal. I'm on instagram but I don't post -- I follow a bunch of photographers that I like and I mostly use it for artistic inspiration. I don't have notifications set up on either of those and don't have FB messenger installed on my phone.

I've never had a presence on any other social media and only "use" Reddit like I "use" Quora -- I search it when I'm looking for an answer to a specific questions, usually something tech-issue related that I'm looking for a solution for, but I don't belong to any groups or follow anything. No Twitter, no LinkedIn (sorry, Gard), no other social media of any kind.

My work phone has red dot notifications for messages and email only (no pop-ups or sounds) and the phone vibrates only, no other notifications.

I strive to be the opposite of Pavlov's dog.

Comment

Ha, I mostly agree with you. My phones have been on silent 99.5% of the time for like the past 10 years. I only turn the ringer on if I have a call or text I MUST answer.

and it kinda sucks, cause I made a bomb ass red dead text tone that I want to hear, but i can’t stand hearing my phone. Huge pet peeve of mine when other people leave their ringers on.

Everything is muted in my life unless I’m watching something on TV, driving, or I have headphones in

Comment

Originally posted by FrobozMumbar View Post
        I get notifications for messages (red dot only -- no sound) and for the phone. I've never had them on for anything else. All banners, other notifications, etc. are the first thing I shut off when I get a new phone...nothing drives me more insane than things ringing, pinging, dinging, red-dotting, or popping-up. I check my email every one or two days. My personal phone doesn't even ring, it just vibrates, and I rarely answer it. I usually just wait to see if someone leaves a VM, and if they don't then I take that to mean that it wasn't important so I don't call back.

I'm on FB to keep up with my groups of friends who are all distinct groups that have no cross-over: my friends from growing up in LA, my military friends, my friends from my time at KU, and my friends from NorCal. I'm on instagram but I don't post -- I follow a bunch of photographers that I like and I mostly use it for artistic inspiration. I don't have notifications set up on either of those and don't have FB messenger installed on my phone.

I've never had a presence on any other social media and only "use" Reddit like I "use" Quora -- I search it when I'm looking for an answer to a specific questions, usually something tech-issue related that I'm looking for a solution for, but I don't belong to any groups or follow anything. No Twitter, no LinkedIn (sorry, Gard), no other social media of any kind.

My work phone has red dot notifications for messages and email only (no pop-ups or sounds) and the phone vibrates only, no other notifications.

I strive to be the opposite of Pavlov's dog.
        We know what the bold is code for, you're not fooling anyone.

Comment

Originally posted by Joe Norris View Post
          Ha, I mostly agree with you. My phones have been on silent 99.5% of the time for like the past 10 years. I only turn the ringer on if I have a call or text I MUST answer.

and it kinda sucks, cause I made a bomb ass red dead text tone that I want to hear, but i can’t stand hearing my phone. Huge pet peeve of mine when other people leave their ringers on.

Everything is muted in my life unless I’m watching something on TV, driving, or I have headphones in
          I'm in this camp too.

I visited some older extended family members on their patio a couple weeks ago. Loud dings from their cell phones left and right, plus their land line rang a few times in the hour or so that I was there, which then sent their two dogs into a barking frenzy. Like I said, they're up there, but I don't know how they do it.

Comment

Originally posted by NoPantsChico View Post

I'm in this camp too.

I visited some older extended family members on their patio a couple weeks ago. Loud dings from their cell phones left and right, plus their land line rang a few times in the hour or so that I was there, which then sent their two dogs into a barking frenzy. Like I said, they're up there, but I don't know how they do it.
            Keeps em busy. Rather that, then sending chain emails that I have to snopes and send back to them.

Comment

Originally posted by WolfShirtSophomore View Post

What's their insta? Asking for a friend.
              You should get on InstaKilogram. It's 1000 times better than Instagram.

Comment

Originally posted by MissTCShore View Post

You should get on InstaKilogram. It's 1000 times better than Instagram.
                I'l just stick with InstaMicropenis, it's easier to handle.

wait, what?

Comment

I don't view Google as being as morally bankrupt or harmful as the main social media channels, but they aren't without significant questions, either. I'll be interested in seeing what happens with the DOJ's antitrust suit against them. Some of the arguments sound similar to the Microsoft case (i.e. anti-competitive exclusionary agreements with other tech companies to put their software on their phones).
                  Last edited by NoPantsChico; 5 days ago.

Comment

Influencers' Next Frontier: Their Own Live Shopping Channels

Or as the article mentions: QVC. You're reinventing QVC.

Live shopping is huge in China, and now tech giants like Amazon, Facebook, and Instagram are trying to bring it to the US, turning influencers into hosts of their own QVC-like shows.

Comment

Originally posted by NoPantsChico View Post
                      Influencers' Next Frontier: Their Own Live Shopping Channels

Or as the article mentions: QVC. You're reinventing QVC.
                      I think I just threw up in my mouth a little.

Comment

Working...
                      X