The Social Dilemma

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Aquemini View Post

Agree 100%. Although people don't care about their privacy as much I once thought. They have no issue being data-mined and tracked in exchange for access to things like social media.
    This is true. Which country was it that proposed paying the users for their data?, or maybe it was just proposed to find out how many people would sign up for it. Either way I was surprised at how easily they would give it up.

Comment

Originally posted by WolfShirtSophomore View Post

This is true. Which country was it that proposed paying the users for their data?, or maybe it was just proposed to find out how many people would sign up for it. Either way I was surprised at how easily they would give it up.
      I really hope that we see some kind of universal basic income in the future (maybe more near-future than I think) to off-set the changes in the economy due to things like automation, robotics, AI, etc., and I think taxing social media and other tech companies who data mine their users as part/all of their profit model would be a great way to fund it.

Comment

I’m halfway through this documentary. Had to take a break because my neck was getting sore from all the vigorous nodding.

Comment

I heard about this documentary through social media. Not sure what to do now.

Comment

So, I watched this. The cast of people they interviewed was interesting, but the reenactments were so corny and unnecessary that it almost ruined it for me.

Comment

Originally posted by EasyDisease View Post
              So, I watched this. The cast of people they interviewed was interesting, but the reenactments were so corny and unnecessary that it almost ruined it for me.
              Lol, yeah.

Comment

Originally posted by EasyDisease View Post
                It was like a bad PSA for the stupid people who couldn't follow what the smart people were saying during their interviews.

Comment

The reenactment helped me realize that if I get involved in a militant conspiracy, and my mom comes to pick me up from a protest, she might get manhandled and arrested, too. I don't want that for my mom, so I am going to refrain.

Comment

I liked the name of the conspiracy show "Extreme Center"

Comment

Originally posted by WolfShirtSophomore View Post
                      I liked the name of the conspiracy show "Extreme Center"
                      Tariq Ali’s The Extreme Centre is a timely polemic against the establishment’s stranglehold on politics, but new energies are beginning to break through, argues Dan Poulton

Comment

I watched this last week and was going to make a thread about it....but FrobozMumbar is a good mod and was several weeks ahead of me.

First things first, the side story, as everyone has discussed, was terrible and the actors are bad.

I do not know how Skyler Gisondo continues to get work. He was bad as young shawn in psych, he was bad as the teen love interest in Santa Clarita diet, and this may have been his finest performance yet...which, isn't a good thing.

I'm not anti social media, per se, but I think it's completely toxic and isn't for me. I do use snapchat, but that's with about 20 friends and I don't watch stories or random vids.

I think reddit fits in here somewhere, scratch that, I KNOW it fits in here somewhere. I've mostly curated my feed to keep to smaller subs, but even stuff like r/dataisbeautiful has turned into a shit show of politics. So, during this election season (read: the last four years) I've had to unfollow numerous subs because they were low quality content.

I did find it interesting, at the end of this "Documentary?", where they were all giving tips about how to regulate your phone, I did most of the things they mentioned. Most are escaping me right now, but turning off most notifications is a HUGE one for me.

I get notifications from texts (most group chats are silenced), work email, and phone calls. Well, badges anyway. I have banners and stuff on for other stuff, but I rarely, if ever, look at my notification center.

I'm about to hop on a call, but, for iPhone folks, i'd be interested to hear the notification numbers people have if they didn't mind sharing. I will post mine for the last week after this call.

Comment

I thought Skyler Gisondo was good in Booksmart as the rich tryhard that nobody likes. Anyway, I don't think the side story was meant to be "good" in the way that we think of good TV or movie writing. A little overdramatic and afternoon special-y, but I think that was their intent to hammer home how it works and the mental health consequences. If they tried to make it more subtle I don't think much of the intended audience would get it.

This past summer I deleted Facebook from my phone, which has helped me a lot. I still have an account, but if I want to check it, I have to open up my laptop and consciously navigate to it. Of course, It helps that pretty much all I was using it for before was for events and those are all gone now with COVID, but still.

I use Reddit a decent amount, but I don't subscribe to any subs, so if there's something I want to check or post in, it's similar to my use of Facebook in that I have to actively navigate to the sub, which helps cut down on the mindless scrolling.

Comment

image_15096.png

so, I had quite a few more than I expected. Though, badges are only on Texts, outlook, and Reddit, i think

Oh, and maybe chess time...though I turned those off last week

Comment

I have Notifications on for the Phone and Messages. That's it. No social media, no other apps. I go on Facebook, Twitter and Instagram when I want to connect with people. I don't let the apps control me. That said, of the social media apps I use most often, I find myself migrating more to instagram. I have fewer friends/followers on Instagram: My two sisters and two friends from college I'm close with. That's it.

Comment

Originally posted by MissTCShore View Post
                                I have Notifications on for the Phone and Messages. That's it. No social media, no other apps. I go on Facebook, Twitter and Instagram when I want to connect with people. I don't let the apps control me. That said, of the social media apps I use most often, I find myself migrating more to instagram. I have fewer friends/followers on Instagram: My two sisters and two friends from college I'm close with. That's it.
                                What's their insta? Asking for a friend.

Comment

Working...
                                X