How Music Is Remembered

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by RaiderHawk View Post

Perhaps I've heard one of them, but wouldn't know it's name. Any bar I would go to wouldn't play that crap anyway.
    So per the study (not anecdotally), what the big hits from your heyday that have been lost on subsequent generations?

Comment

Originally posted by NoPantsChico View Post

So per the study (not anecdotally), what the big hits from your heyday that have been lost on subsequent generations?
      Probably all the AIC, Nirvana, PJ, and Soundgarden stuff.

ETA: All those were as big as any of the pop stuff they included in their study, but they didn't list any of them.

Comment

ETA: All those were as big as any of the pop stuff they included in their study, but they didn't list any of them.
        Raider says fuck your directions, NPC!

Comment

Originally posted by EasyDisease View Post

Raider says fuck your directions, NPC!

Comment

The "top 5 in Billboard" criteria they used is admittedly a little arbitrary. For example, Smells Like Teen Spirit peaked at 6, but still gets a lot of radio play for a song that old, the only PJ song that hit the top 5 in Billboard was their "Last Kiss" cover, etc.

Comment

The "top 5 in Billboard" criteria they used is admittedly a little arbitrary. For example, Smells Like Teen Spirit peaked at 6, but still gets a lot of radio play for a song that old, the only PJ song that hit the top 5 in Billboard was their "Last Kiss" cover, etc.
              There are a lot of songs that never hit top 5, but had much longer staying power than stuff that briefly popped up to the top.

Black Sabbath for example.

Comment

I wouldn't be able to identify either Old Town Road or Despacito.

I guess I'm old?
                I Spotified both. Never heard them. And, more importantly, I'm glad that I've never heard them before and never have to hear them again.

Comment

Moonlight Serenade, Chattanooga Choo Choo

(that's a joke, calm down Froboz)

Comment

Originally posted by FrobozMumbar View Post

I Spotified both. Never heard them. And, more importantly, I'm glad that I've never heard them before and never have to hear them again.
                    Shit, that solidifies it. I'm old.

Comment

I listen to zero pop music or top 40 type radio outlets. After Wichita killed off what amounted to a Deep Tracks station, I listen to music off a USB drive or Audible.
                      T~95 Album Rock?

Comment

Originally posted by Lurch22 View Post

T~95 Album Rock?
                        Nope, it was a station that played a pretty wide range of stuff from Neil Young (actually heard Cowgirl in the Sand once) to Metallica (heard a song from Kill em All once). it was like 101.1 or something along those lines.

I think T95 is still playing the same 5 songs from 20 years ago.

Comment

That has to be the last era where pop music was legitimately good and has stood the test of time.

Comment

Working...
                          X