How Music Is Remembered

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• How Music Is Remembered

This is a pretty cool project that someone is taking on to identify generational gaps in popular music. Go to the link and provide your birth year and the site will play clips from ten songs that peaked in the Top 5 of The Billboard Hot 100 in the previous decade, and you have to identify, on a scale, how well you know them.

To date, the quiz has provided over 3 million data points, which the person conducting the experiment has used to quantify how well (or poorly) hits from throughout the last 50ish years have resonated with different generations, which you'll be able to see after you take the quiz.

ETA: His primary focus is to determine which songs from the 90's are the most recognized by Millennials and Gen Z and as such are most likely to be passed down to future generations the way standards of the 60s/70s/80s have.
    Last edited by NoPantsChico; 08-18-20, 10:48 AM.

That was fun and neat. Thanks.

Comment

DIdn't know 4 out of the 10.

Comment

Here's a companion piece that details which 90s hits have proven to possess staying power and which ones have been lost to the sands of time (some more quickly than others). There are some surprises.

Quantifying the songs that will characterize the ’90s

Comment

I wouldn't be able to identify either Old Town Road or Despacito.

I guess I'm old?

Comment

Originally posted by RaiderHawk View Post

I guess I'm old?
            Correct.

Comment

Originally posted by NoPantsChico View Post
              Here's a companion piece that details which 90s hits have proven to possess staying power and which ones have been lost to the sands of time (some more quickly than others). There are some surprises.
              Sucks that the Macarena has staying power, but Tha Crossroads by Bone Thugs N Harmony doesn't.

Comment

I guess I'm old?
                You might be. I know everyone lives in different bubbles, but this borders on inconceivable for me.

Comment

Lil Nas X continues to make his mark in music history. His record-breaking hit, “Old Town Road,” featuring Billy Ray Cyrus, has now become the fastest song to be certified diamond by the Recording Industry Association of America, Billboard reported.

The country trap song reached sales, including equivalent streaming sales, of 10 million units to qualify for the diamond certification, the publication added.

It’s now only the 32nd song, in over 60 years of RIAA’s Gold and Platinum program history, to reach diamond status, Liz Kennedy, a spokesperson for the organization tweeted.
                  Back in July, "Old Town Road" broke the record for the most time spent atop the Billboard Hot 100, sitting at No. 1 for 19 weeks in a row.
                  For some context. This was even bigger than I thought it was, and I thought it was huge.

Comment

Hmmm. I just turned 50. I know Old Town Road. My son is 18 and has me listening some current music, but it's more hip hop (e.g., J. Cole, Travis Scott). I've even bought a few Kendrick Lamar albums and a few Childish Gambino albums, etc. But I had never heard of Despacito and just looked it up and listened . . . never heard it either. And, it was the top song of 2017 and most streamed song for a while. Weird how I missed it.

Comment

Yeah, it's weird. I certainly never went out of my way to listen to Despacito, yet I feel like I was bombarded with it everywhere I went for about a year.

Comment

Originally posted by LARPHawk View Post

For some context. This was even bigger than I thought it was, and I thought it was huge.
                        And it's a shitty song to boot.

Comment

You might be. I know everyone lives in different bubbles, but this borders on inconceivable for me.
                          I listen to zero pop music or top 40 type radio outlets. After Wichita killed off what amounted to a Deep Tracks station, I listen to music off a USB drive or Audible.

Comment

I listen to zero pop music or top 40 type radio outlets. After Wichita killed off what amounted to a Deep Tracks station, I listen to music off a USB drive or Audible.
                            Just seems like if you even walked by a bar, or a swimming pool, or a TV commercial, or a local news broadcast, or a Facebook feed you were bound to hear it. Same with Despacito.

I was into Despacito for the first few hundred times at least. Old Town Road seems so bizarrely bad to me. Like where you almost wonder if other people are hearing something different than you somehow.

Comment

Just seems like if you even walked by a bar, or a swimming pool, or a TV commercial, or a local news broadcast, or a Facebook feed you were bound to hear it. Same with Despacito.

I was into Despacito for the first few hundred times at least. Old Town Road seems so bizarrely bad to me. Like where you almost wonder if other people are hearing something different than you somehow.
                              Perhaps I've heard one of them, but wouldn't know it's name. Any bar I would go to wouldn't play that crap anyway.

Comment

Working...
                              X