Morbid Capitalism: Profiting Off The Pandemic

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Morbid Capitalism: Profiting Off The Pandemic

I almost feel guilty about even bringing this up but with the tanking of the stock market and other economic woes worldwide, what are some of you doing investment-wise to make the best of this situation financially?

Stockpiling N95 masks, hand sanitizer, and hydroxychloroquine. You?

Comment

I already had the first two, and I can get the third. Even though it doesn't work as promised!

Comment

Standing on the street corner offering squirts (of hand sanitizer) for $1 each.

Comment

Buying stocks for the first time in my life.

(I do have mutual funds in an IRA account at work)

I've managed to save a little bit over the past few years and decided that buying while the prices are low might be a decent idea. So I've jumped in with a small (to most of you $10,000 decision makers) amount. About half of that is going into a S&P 500 index fund. The rest into individual stocks.

Comment

Originally posted by MissTCShore View Post
            Buying stocks for the first time in my life.

(I do have mutual funds in an IRA account at work)

I've managed to save a little bit over the past few years and decided that buying while the prices are low might be a decent idea. So I've jumped in with a small (to most of you $10,000 decision makers) amount. About half of that is going into a S&P 500 index fund. The rest into individual stocks.
            Individual stocks? What even are those?

Comment

MissTCShore I, for one, think you should take some fliers on some pharmaceutical startups.

Comment

MissT, same here. Right now, my focus is to dip into stocks that pay good dividends (with a good track records). With stocks so low, the dividend rates are really good. Of course, if things continue to go into the shitter, some stocks might reduce dividends, but over time the high dividend yields plus capital gains seem attractive to me.

But I also want to tap the WTW hive mind, no matter how depraved it is.

Comment

I’m pretty risk-averse, so I’m not doing much. I’m lucky to still have a job where my pay/hours haven’t been reduced, so I’m just contributing towards the max on my Roth IRA like usual. Our company did make the decision to put a hold on matching 401k contributions for Q2, so I lowered the amount I put in and will probably just sock the difference into my target retirement account.

Comment

A number of years ago I inherited some shares of the much disliked AT&T. Those dividends just keep rolling in and have gone up a bit every year. Not a whole lot of stock price growth. In my simple mind I treat it as a bond. Someone I know in Kansas swears by Cap Fed for dividends.

I just checked and the current yield on T is 6.77%.

Comment

Originally posted by LifestyleJayhawk View Post
                      A number of years ago I inherited some shares of the much disliked AT&T. Those dividends just keep rolling in and have gone up a bit every year. Not a whole lot of stock price growth. In my simple mind I treat it as a bond. Someone I know in Kansas swears by Cap Fed for dividends.

I just checked and the current yield on T is 6.77%.
                      In doing some research for my investments, AT&T is a "strong buy" right now. Seems like a lot of analysts think it will do well in the next few years.

Comment

Originally posted by MissTCShore View Post

In doing some research for my investments, AT&T is a "strong buy" right now. Seems like a lot of analysts think it will do well in the next few years.
                        That's one of the stocks I recently bought. I wish I had more money to invest right now (thank you ex-wife and CoV-2!), but it is what it is. I'll check out CapFed.

Comment

Originally posted by GardArmighty View Post

That's one of the stocks I recently bought. I wish I had more money to invest right now (thank you ex-wife and CoV-2!), but it is what it is. I'll check out CapFed.
                          Hypothetically, if you were sitting on fat stacks and looking to profit on some stonks right now, where would you park your broccoli?

Comment

Originally posted by EasyDisease View Post

Hypothetically, if you were sitting on fat stacks and looking to profit on some stonks right now, where would you park your broccoli?
                            I honestly don't know. I'd put >50% into "safer" dividend stocks, maybe 30% into growth stocks, then roll the dice with the other 20%- biotech or somesuch. I really haven't researched it much, hence this thread. Individually, we're all a bunch of idiots, but together we make a right fine bunch.

Comment

Index investing is one of the only "free lunches" out there. Equal returns, less risk, less work.

I feel like there will be an opportunity to scoop up cash-strapped small businesses like say bars and restaurants, but I don't have any of the necessary expertise to get into something like that.

Comment

Working...
                              X