No announcement yet.

Working From Home?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I've always been a doomsday prepper when it comes to my employees. While most of my company (telcom/data) has held on to the idea that workers need to be in an office I've had mine setup for WFH for years. We are 24/7 support so I've always planned for WFH and geo-diversity with my crew due to weather issues. Once the company started pre-planning for this my SVP asked what we'd need to do to get ready. When I told him we've been setup and regularly test WFH he said to just do it. Next day we were 100% WFH with zero burden to IT for help and zero hit to productivity.

Comment

Our department has always had an extremely conservative attitude towards people working from home in any circumstance aside from weather or tending to a sick kid, and over the years it's played a not-insignificant role in us losing some really good people.

I was a lot more productive WFH-ing last week than I typically am at the office, and a couple of my colleagues have mentioned the same. I know it can be a lot more challenging for others who are more extroverted or who have to manage kids along with their workload, but generally, I think everyone being made to stay home has laid bare just how silly the previous stance was. Hopefully management gets the message and adapts once the craziness settles down, but I'm skeptical.

Edited for clarity
      Last edited by NoPantsChico; 03-23-20, 10:43 AM.

Comment

Working from home, myself. Granted, if I'm not traveling, then I've been working from home for the past year and a half, so this wasn't TOO much of a shock to me from a work standpoint.

What I will say, is, I've had to be extra proactive about keeping the clients on point, providing me work. I know they're getting settled at home, but if I'm not working, I'm not getting paid, so it's been important to keep the work coming in. I'm fortunate that I'm still able to earn, so I'm sorry to hear gard, and any others that aren't able to continue business as usual (as possible)

As such, my hours have been all over the place, so I've been getting a lot of daytime PS in, which I'm not complaining about.

I'm low on cigars and have an order *hopefully* coming in this week. If Outlaw is still open, I need to swing by today and get some sticks to hold me over

Comment

I am in the absolute worst mood today. Sorry in advance if I snap at any of you when you post something especially stupid.

Comment

Originally posted by Joe Norris View Post
            Working from home, myself. Granted, if I'm not traveling, then I've been working from home for the past year and a half, so this wasn't TOO much of a shock to me from a work standpoint.

What I will say, is, I've had to be extra proactive about keeping the clients on point, providing me work. I know they're getting settled at home, but if I'm not working, I'm not getting paid, so it's been important to keep the work coming in. I'm fortunate that I'm still able to earn, so I'm sorry to hear gard, and any others that aren't able to continue business as usual (as possible)

As such, my hours have been all over the place, so I've been getting a lot of daytime PS in, which I'm not complaining about.

I'm low on cigars and have an order *hopefully* coming in this week. If Outlaw is still open, I need to swing by today and get some sticks to hold me over
            Bold move to still be smoking cigars when smoking is one of the leading factors of the Oriental Virus (Gard gets bent out of shape when China is mentioned in the name -- says it's racist or some nonsense) causing a person to become dead.

Comment

The only way I can possibly work from home is to be on the phone with a patient saying "Breathe! ........ Breathe! ........... Breathe, Dammit!!!........"

Comment

Originally posted by FrobozMumbar View Post

Bold move to still be smoking cigars when smoking is one of the leading factors of the Oriental Virus (Gard gets bent out of shape when China is mentioned in the name -- says it's racist or some nonsense) causing a person to become dead.
                Is it a leading cause because of smoking in groups?

i can’t imagine it would make me any more likely to get sick smoking on my back patio than it would to smoke normally

Comment

Originally posted by Joe Norris View Post

Is it a leading cause because of smoking in groups?

i can’t imagine it would make me any more likely to get sick smoking on my back patio than it would to smoke normally
                  No, COIVD-19 specifically attacks the lungs, so there are many in the medical community who are speculating that smokers who get it are much more likely to die than non-smokers.

Comment

No, COIVD-19 specifically attacks the lungs, so there are many in the medical community who are speculating that smokers who get it are much more likely to die than non-smokers.
                    Ooooh, I got distracted by your parenthesis...leading factors of dead

good thing I don’t inhale!

Comment

Yep, this. It's primarily a respiratory illness, so smoking is a prime factor in how serious your symptoms are likely to be and how likely you are to die from the disease. Other factors include age (over 60), obesity, diabetes, other respiratory illnesses, any disease that affects your immune system, etc. So, if you are a 65 year old smoker with COPD, heart disease who is 40% overweight and uncontrolled diabetic who is undergoing treatment for cancer, the odds that you would survive COVID-19 are ..... well, you're fucked, basically.

Comment

Originally posted by MissTCShore View Post

Yep, this. It's primarily a respiratory illness, so smoking is a prime factor in how serious your symptoms are likely to be and how likely you are to die from the disease. Other factors include age (over 60), obesity, diabetes, other respiratory illnesses, any disease that affects your immune system, etc. So, if you are a 65 year old smoker with COPD, heart disease who is 40% overweight and uncontrolled diabetic who is undergoing treatment for cancer, the odds that you would survive COVID-19 are ..... well, you're fucked, basically.
                        Fucked is right...and not in the damn that was great, you wanna go again kinda way.

Comment

Working...
                        X