Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

So, shall we talk about the Coronavirus?

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • China's military has received the greenlight to use a COVID-19 vaccine candidate developed by its research unit and CanSino Biologics after clinical trials proved it was safe and showed some efficacy, the company said on Monday. The Ad5-nCoV is one of China's eight vaccine candidates approved

    Comment


    • I had reservations for dinner on Thursday and was thinking about canceling. The restaurant promises 10' between tables with dividers and you have to wear a mask until seated. It seemed about as safe as indoor restaurants get. But I was on the fence. Doesn't matter, the governor of Michigan just switched my city from phase 4 back to phase 3, so restaurants are back to curbside or delivery . . . reservation canceled. Ah well, we're getting ahead of the increase in cases early, so I appreciate that. Lansing was seeing it worse, and they've gone from phase 4 back to phase 2. Yikes!

      Comment


      • Originally posted by sean View Post
        I had reservations for dinner on Thursday and was thinking about canceling.
        You had reservations about your reservations?

        Comment


        • Yeah. I like to be consistent.

          Comment


          • Originally posted by sean View Post
            I had reservations for dinner on Thursday and was thinking about canceling. The restaurant promises 10' between tables with dividers and you have to wear a mask until seated. It seemed about as safe as indoor restaurants get. But I was on the fence. Doesn't matter, the governor of Michigan just switched my city from phase 4 back to phase 3, so restaurants are back to curbside or delivery . . . reservation canceled. Ah well, we're getting ahead of the increase in cases early, so I appreciate that. Lansing was seeing it worse, and they've gone from phase 4 back to phase 2. Yikes!
            I think this has been posted somewhere in this thread already, but it's worth looking at again. The thing with dividers is that while they would seemingly work well at preventing direct exposure to potentially infected droplets from other customers who are eating sans mask, I'm not sure how well they would work in preventing the patrons from inhaling the aerosolized virus that is circulating throughout the restaurant via their A/C, etc. I think this is why outdoor dining is regarded as infinitely less hazardous regardless of the dividers.
            Please read this link to learn about the author and background to these posts. It seems many people are breathing some relief, and I’m not sure why. An epidemic curve has a relatively predictable upslope and once the peak is reached, the back slope can also be predicted. We have robust data from the outbreaks in China

            Comment


            • Originally posted by FrobozMumbar View Post


              Yeah, screw that. I'm still treating this like a shelter-in-place event and only go out when absolutely necessary, and when I do, I'm in an N95 respirator at a minimum and wear gloves. Hell, I still wipe down my groceries and mail. When I do get out for sun and exercise, I'm on a mountain bike or hiking trail far enough out that I don't come across anyone else.

              All this may be overkill, but I'm not trading convenience or my desires against my personal long-term health. Just not gonna do it.
              Same. And it's not cramping my lifestyle hardly at all. I do miss sushi though.

              Comment


              • Originally posted by GardArmighty View Post

                You had reservations about your reservations?
                I had scheduled a dinner at the Casino a few weeks ago, but I cancelled. I had reservations about my reservation on the reservation.

                Comment


                • Originally posted by FrobozMumbar View Post

                  I think this has been posted somewhere in this thread already, but it's worth looking at again. The thing with dividers is that while they would seemingly work well at preventing direct exposure to potentially infected droplets from other customers who are eating sans mask, I'm not sure how well they would work in preventing the patrons from inhaling the aerosolized virus that is circulating throughout the restaurant via their A/C, etc. I think this is why outdoor dining is regarded as infinitely less hazardous regardless of the dividers.
                  Yeah, that restaurant in China was part of a very informative study. And, they used very good contact tracing to find that one person in that restaurant screwed people at 2 other tables as well as her own (so, even people against the air path got hit at the table on the right). That's the study that made me realize we're effed once kids are back in school and all of their teachers die, and then they go to see grandma and grandpa on the weekend.

                  Comment


                  • I friend of mine has a daughter who has the Corona. She lives in California and they sent her home with a morphine IV drip. They don't have enough room for all the people with the virus so they are only hospitalizing people that require ventilators. She describes the virus as feeling like you have a snake wrapped around your lungs.

                    Comment


                    • Beakum, did they use dexamethasone? I'm curious as to the use of morphine, as narcotics cause respiratory depression which I would think is the last thing you'd want in a disease that affects the lungs and breathing.

                      Comment


                      • ^^ My understanding is that it's a morphine drip to help with the pain but it could be some other pain medication. She should be in a hospital though.

                        Comment


                        • One of my good friend's brother has it. First person I know personally that has it. He had a mild fever for one day so he got tested, and came back positive. He was really only kind of sick for that one day and has been fine since.

                          Comment


                          • We are fairly deep in the south and have been eating out a lot. We go to places with lots of windows and outside seating. They have fans to blow air outside instead of recycling the air. A couple of places have closed for a day or two because an employee tested positive. Than you see a massive effort to clean things and reopen. They all are doing 6-10 foot distancing between tables in and out. I’m comfortable with the arrangement.

                            Gym is open. You need to clean equipment before and after you use it. You leave the wipe when you are finished and a staff member gives it another clean. I prefer to do circuits but with this process it is easier to do multiple sets at a time. Swam yesterday and felt comfortable with the process. Lockers are closed as well as showers. Change in the locker room, put your stuff in your bag and leave it on the pool deck, swim and reverse the process. Bring your own towel.

                            Bars are a problem. On the positive side several already had indoor/outdoor seating built around the bar. Big windows as well so you have good air movement. People are the problem. Aren’t wearing masks, no social distancing. Signs say Don’t congregate at the bar, but people do any way. We were at one where the owner turned off the music, TVs and pleaded with people to follow the rules of he could be shut down.

                            If the comish of the SEC said, “wear masks it you want football this fall” walk wearing would go to 90+%.

                            Comment


                            • Originally posted by LifestyleJayhawk View Post
                              We are fairly deep in the south and have been eating out a lot. We go to places with lots of windows and outside seating. They have fans to blow air outside instead of recycling the air. A couple of places have closed for a day or two because an employee tested positive. Than you see a massive effort to clean things and reopen. They all are doing 6-10 foot distancing between tables in and out. I’m comfortable with the arrangement.

                              Gym is open. You need to clean equipment before and after you use it. You leave the wipe when you are finished and a staff member gives it another clean. I prefer to do circuits but with this process it is easier to do multiple sets at a time. Swam yesterday and felt comfortable with the process. Lockers are closed as well as showers. Change in the locker room, put your stuff in your bag and leave it on the pool deck, swim and reverse the process. Bring your own towel.

                              Bars are a problem. On the positive side several already had indoor/outdoor seating built around the bar. Big windows as well so you have good air movement. People are the problem. Aren’t wearing masks, no social distancing. Signs say Don’t congregate at the bar, but people do any way. We were at one where the owner turned off the music, TVs and pleaded with people to follow the rules of he could be shut down.

                              If the comish of the SEC said, “wear masks it you want football this fall” walk wearing would go to 90+%.
                              The problem with bars is that people get drunk and stop giving a shit about the rules. If anything should remain closed, it's bars.

                              Comment


                              • If anyone is looking for a COVID mistress or having trouble coming up with a COVID-Christmas gift idea to help beat the virus doldrums...



                                A new book, Sex Robots & Vegan Meat, has explored the world of sex robots. Its author Jenny Kleeman claims they are set to have a big impact on society thanks to human-like features

                                Comment

                                Working...
                                X