Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

So, shall we talk about the Coronavirus?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• So, shall we talk about the Coronavirus?

It seems what makes this virus so hard to contain, is you are contagious before you show any symptoms, so its hard to tell exactly when you were infected, and who you had contact with after infection. It appears China has not been truthful about the severity of this disease.

What say you?

It's definitely something to be concerned about. With many viruses (including influenza), you are often contagious before you show any symptoms, so it's not unique in that regard. Influenza is orders of magnitude more worthy of being frightened of than CoV, but we definitely need to keep an eye on it.

Wash your hands.

Comment

Comment

Kind of weird that it blew up so huge in the news for about a week and then just faded out even though the level of threat it poses seems roughly unchanged. I mean, I guess that's just the news, but I would've thought this story would have more legs.

I was pretty young for SARS, but this is the first one of these that seems worthy of some actual concern. As compared to, say, the Ebola scares which never seemed very threatening from what I read about them.

Comment

Originally posted by LARPHawk View Post
          Kind of weird that it blew up so huge in the news for about a week and then just faded out even though the level of threat it poses seems roughly unchanged. I mean, I guess that's just the news, but I would've thought this story would have more legs.

I was pretty young for SARS, but this is the first one of these that seems worthy of some actual concern. As compared to, say, the Ebola scares which never seemed very threatening from what I read about them.
          As long as it's just primarily Red Chinese that are dying, the west (especially the western news cycle) doesn't really care. If this thing spreads to the U.S. or Europe on a larger scale, you can bet it will be in the news 24/7.

Comment

Yeah, to that point, I saw a headline that 10% of the world's population is now under quarantine for the virus. That number included a pretty loose definition of "quarantine", but still that's more than the entire population of the US and western Europe. If all of the US and Europe was on lockdown it would be all every outlet talked about all day long.

Comment

Yeah, to that point, I saw a headline that 10% of the world's population is now under quarantine for the virus. That number included a pretty loose definition of "quarantine", but still that's more than the entire population of the US and western Europe. If all of the US and Europe was on lockdown it would be all every outlet talked about all day long.
              I mean, we keep trying to lock ourselves down... :)

Comment

As supplies come back up, I recommend buying the 3-ply face masks in bulk. I think these things are fetching a bazillion dollars on Ebay. Nothing like taking advantage of people in distress.

Comment

Can you link an article or other source where you got that information?

Comment

The Coronavirus? I like it. It's the crown jewel of all viruses.

Comment

Originally posted by sean View Post
                      As supplies come back up, I recommend buying the 3-ply face masks in bulk. I think these things are fetching a bazillion dollars on Ebay. Nothing like taking advantage of people in distress.
                      I have a huge supply of masks. Can I sell them on ebay and exploit people? Or should I disclose that masks really don't make that much of a difference in this situation?

Comment

Originally posted by GardArmighty View Post

Can you link an article or other source where you got that information?
                        I think the claim came from this NYT article (I don't think the NYT ever phrased it that way though). http://archive.is/JrO35#selection-657.0-657.309

"Residential lockdowns of varying strictness — from checkpoints at building entrances to hard limits on going outdoors — now cover at least 760 million people in China, or more than half the country’s population, according to a New York Times analysis of government announcements in provinces and major cities. Many of these people live far from the city of Wuhan, where the virus was first reported and which the government sealed off last month."

Comment

Wow. That's a lot of folks.

Comment

I have a huge supply of masks. Can I sell them on ebay and exploit people? Or should I disclose that masks really don't make that much of a difference in this situation?
                            Masks help keep YOU from spreading the virus if you have it. It does nothing (or almost nothing) to keep you from getting the virus.

Comment

Never underestimate the power of placebo!

If you have a supply, it is your Civic duty to sell them!

Yes, you should disclose it on page 39 of the corresponding EULA!

Comment

Working...
                              X