Sonic waves - not the drive in.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Sonic waves - not the drive in.

The ship we were on last year is doing another voyage around the world. The Captain keeps an interesting blog. He wrote that the ship suddenly started shaking for about 20 seconds. No mechanical issues. They were about 90 miles from Puerto Rico when the earthquake hit. Had tsunami warning but instead were impacted by the sonic waves from the earthquake. I had no idea. The Captain is a good writer and talented photographer. Plus he has the best view. If you are interested www.captainjonathan.com

If I were a ship captain, I'd basically do my best to look and act like Captain Ron all the time.

Comment

Originally posted by Thejayhawk78 View Post
      The ship we were on last year is doing another voyage around the world. The Captain keeps an interesting blog. He wrote that the ship suddenly started shaking for about 20 seconds. No mechanical issues. They were about 90 miles from Puerto Rico when the earthquake hit. Had tsunami warning but instead were impacted by the sonic waves from the earthquake. I had no idea. The Captain is a good writer and talented photographer. Plus he has the best view. If you are interested www.captainjonathan.com
      That's pretty crazy that sonic vibrations from an earthquake have that much power. If you're captain of that vessel and didn't understand the phenomenon I'm sure that would be a small panic moment.

Comment

"We're going to need a bigger boat" < -- actual thing that I would be thinking

Comment

The Amsterdam is around 60,000 tons. To put it in perspective that’s larger than the retired museum carrier USS Midway. Not quite as big as the Saratoga’s of the late 1950s.

Comment

Speaking of Sonic waves...

https://www.syfy.com/syfywire/volcan...ous-global-hum

Comment

Originally posted by KUGDI View Post
              If I were a ship captain, I'd basically do my best to look and act like Captain Ron all the time.

Comment

Working...
              X