X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• ticketRAPISTS

just bought a $27 ticket to a concert

ticketmaster added $11.85 in fees

that's only a 44% mark up....how do they stay in business?

Re: ticketRAPISTS

As a concert goer, I've just accepted the charges. It makes coping easier.

Comment

[quote author=blackPHOGmoan link=topic=493.msg5353#msg5353 date=1282106961]
      [/quote]

i might be able to do that...if the actual artist saw any of that 44%

Comment

[quote author=JackLord link=topic=493.msg5354#msg5354 date=1282107026]
        [/quote]

[/quote]

Call up Eddie Vedder, He would probably have a better answer. I don't believe that 3 Doors Down deserves it over the workers at TM

Comment

Can't an anti-trust suit be filed or not?

Comment

[quote author=blackPHOGmoan link=topic=493.msg5355#msg5355 date=1282107187]
            [/quote]

[/quote]

Call up Eddie Vedder, He would probably have a better answer. I don't believe that 3 Doors Down deserves it over the workers at TM
            [/quote]

but i bought a ticket to see 3 doors down...not the fucking workers at TM....who by the way do what!? watch each other to make sure none of them trip over the cord that might unplug their server?

as for that rebel eddie vedder....i called him and he just said i should shop at target.

Comment

[quote author=JackLord link=topic=493.msg5360#msg5360 date=1282107699]
              [quote author=blackPHOGmoan link=topic=493.msg5355#msg5355 date=1282107187]
              [/quote]

[/quote]

[/quote]

but i bought a ticket to see 3 doors down...not the fucking workers at TM....who by the way do what!? watch each other to make sure none of them trip over the cord that might unplug their server?

as for that rebel eddie vedder....i called him and he just said i should shop at target.

[/quote]

Those emails that flood your inbox everyday don't send themselves...
              ...ohhh wait.

Comment

But in all seriousness, this is a very tired argument. People bitch about paying for parking, toll roads, convenience fees, etc. The shit one purchases is all subsidized at one point and the price point is generally much lower than the natural value. Therefore, paying $5 to park downtown, $1.25 to drive, $9 on a $35 ticket sucks, but it's necessary.

I suppose the first two examples have alternatives and TM is a scam, but my argument, albeit weak, is that it's just a necessary cost attached to your purchase.

Comment

If you had started TicketMaster you could have a house (more like complex of houses) next to Sammy Hagar in Cabos San Lucas, Mexico.

Comment

[quote author=blackPHOGmoan link=topic=493.msg5362#msg5362 date=1282108130]
                    But in all seriousness, this is a very tired argument. People bitch about paying for parking, toll roads, convenience fees, etc. The shit one purchases is all subsidized at one point and the price point is generally much lower than the natural value. Therefore, paying $5 to park downtown, $1.25 to drive, $9 on a $35 ticket sucks, but it's necessary.

I suppose the first two examples have alternatives and TM is a scam, but my argument, albeit weak, is that it's just a necessary cost attached to your purchase.
                    [/quote]

no...this is different. this is me, purchasing the right to sit in a chair at a certain time on a certain nite. if it's gonna cost me $38.85, just fucking TELL ME that it's gonna cost me $38.85. Don't advertise $27 all over the internet and then expect me not to bitch at checkout.

when i park, the sign says $5...and i happily pay $5. they don't ask me to pay $9 while standing next to a big "$5 PARKING!" sign.

Comment

I'll have The rapists for $500, Trebek.

Comment

[quote author=KVN638 link=topic=493.msg5381#msg5381 date=1282112949]
                        I'll have The rapists for $500, Trebek.
                        [/quote]

Comment

[quote author=BetterThanMost link=topic=493.msg5375#msg5375 date=1282110533]
                          If you had started TicketMaster you could have a house (more like complex of houses) next to Sammy Hagar in Cabos San Lucas, Mexico.
                          [/quote]

'Tis true, I've been a guest at the complex a few times. A VERY good host, though he's been out of the ticket business for a long time.

Comment

My .02 here.....

They charge because they CAN. They have good relationships with the venues. I think they have a little "competition" with LiveNation, but both seem to enjoy charging fees.

I don't know if you saw the article posted on the phog last week, but some small acts are starting to go around TM by emailing people directly. I imagine it would be difficult to do if you were reserving seating, but it seems to work OK for general admission.

TM has a pretty sophisticated system for reserving tickets, but I wouldn't be surprised it's paid for itself a few times over by now.

I DO like the fact that the bigger acts are starting to sell premium packages that get you closer to the stage. I'm more willing to pay the band that amount to sit up closer than some scalper anyway.

Comment

It's generally cheaper and easier for me to pony up the convenience charge than head to the box office. OTOH it's nice for the consumer, but it's also a giant shaft. I feel your pain Dr. Lord

Comment

Working...
                              X