The Battle of the Bulge - 75 years ago

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The Battle of the Bulge - 75 years ago

Seventy-five years ago this week, the Battle of the Bulge began in the forests of the Ardennes, Belgium.

On the morning of Dec 16, 1944, the beleaguered German army threw its best remaining troops and armor against a lightly defended section of the Allied line. Bad weather neutralized Allied air superiority and over the first few days, the Nazi offensive produced a 'bulge' in the Allies' defensive line west into Belgium.

Desperate to hold the line, US General Eisenhower (from Kansas) sent the 101st Airborne to defend the strategically important crossroads in Bastogne. The town was surrounded for nearly 10 days by German forces, but the Airborne held out. In fact, a German demand for Allied surrender was rejected with a single word: FUCK YOU, ASSHOLES! (Actually, the single word was "NUTS," but my translation is probably what they would have written if it had been today.) 'NUTS' is a bit of 1940s American slang that needed to be explained to the Nazi officers.

In the end, the German offensive was defeated, with US forces having borne the brunt of the fighting—Americans sustained their highest casualties of any single battle in World War II.

This weekend, the town of Bastogne has been celebrating NUTS Weekend, an annual tribute to the soldiers who defended the town in 1944. Festivities include a military parade, a walk around the perimeter, and even the 'Jet de Noix' (throwing of the nuts).

Also, men are walking around with their nuts exposed.

(I made that last part up.)

So, what does "nuts" mean in '40s slang?

Comment

Originally posted by EasyDisease View Post
      I suppose it means "You are crazy for asking"? Maybe? Or, "No fucking way."

Comment

Originally posted by EasyDisease View Post
        There was a popular saying in that era: 'nuts to you'. It's like fuck you. Or the modern equivalent of 'Deez Nuts'. Synonymous with 'suck my nuts'.

Comment

Since the door has been opened to Nazis and nuts, here is one my dad taught me. Colonel Bogey March - Bridge over the River Kwai cadence.

Hitler has only got one ball
          Georing has two but they are small
          Himmler has something similar
          But Dr. Goebbels has no balls at all.

Comment

I visited Bastogne last year. Some pics:
            *The foxholes were dug by Easy Company (Band of Brothers)

Comment

My dad was a WWII vet and I asked him what NUTS meant...basically SUCK MY DICK, ASSHOLE.

Comment

What were they thinking?

https://www.marinecorpstimes.com/new...-of-the-bulge/

Comment

Originally posted by qwertyu123 View Post
                  That is one sexy Nazi.

Comment

Working...
                  X