Another school shooting

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by RaiderHawk View Post

Plenty of research shows attention to these tragic events spawns copy cat events. The school shooting preparedness events probably do the same. Reason is it gives individuals the idea where they may never have even thought of it without the media attention.

Also, considering children are still more likely to die via shit falling out of the sky than be shot in school, the attention given is far out sized to the actual threat.
    There's also research showing that active shooter training has had both short and long-term traumatizing effects on kids, and that the time it takes to settle classrooms down after a training has been counterproductive to learning.

Comment

Last edited by Protist; 11-16-19, 12:23 AM.

Comment

This thread is why we don't discuss school shootings and why I quit posting in the other gun thread that I started

Accidentally clicked on this one and read through

There is never any actual discussion, it's just a bunch of people throwing statistics around that they find in their favor to back up their feelings on guns

If you're pro gun, you like school shootings and if you're pro gun laws you hate freedom

It's stupid and it is a waste of time

LARPHawk If you want a real answer to your low effort troll post,

Comment

Where'd the real answer go? Haha.

My post isn't a troll, it's just an example of why okjay really doesn't want to rely on simple correlations to judge gun control laws. And low-effort? I both read and corrected okjay's source. I even went out and got the extra data MissTC wanted, and in very pretty map form! If there's anything wrong with my posts in this thread it's that too much effort went into them.

Comment

PS - Nice that ending active shooter drills and paying less attention to mass shootings is drawing nice bipartisan support in this thread. And of course neither will happen.

Comment

For the record, this type of thowing-feces-at-the-wall responses was not my intent when I started this thread, but I should have known better. My bad.

Comment

Originally posted by beakumhawks View Post
                For the record, this type of thowing-feces-at-the-wall responses was not my intent when I started this thread, but I should have known better. My bad.
                Then perhaps don't lead with:

Looks like it's "Thoughts and Prayers" time again.

Comment

Originally posted by LARPHawk View Post
                  Where'd the real answer go? Haha.

My post isn't a troll, it's just an example of why okjay really doesn't want to rely on simple correlations to judge gun control laws. And low-effort? I both read and corrected okjay's source. I even went out and got the extra data MissTC wanted, and in very pretty map form! If there's anything wrong with my posts in this thread it's that too much effort went into them.
                  Well, I was talking about your first post...granted, my eyes glaze when the shooting stats come up, because, as I said, anyone can find a stat that backs their opinion up

Here's the problem, my next two statements are not mutually exclusive, but they piss off both sides and nothing gets done:

1) Mass shootings are not likely to happen and happen very infrequently
                  2) Mass shootings happen WAY too much

What should we do about it? I'm not sure, let's argue about stuff that doesn't matter and is going to happen anyway, like crime and urban gun violence and not focus on the innocent people that are getting murdered. And then, let's make it racial to put a little extra stank on it.

I don't know what the answer is, because, of the gun laws I'm familiar with, it's a pain in the ass to get a gun legally (and I and most gun advocates I'd imagine are completely ok with that), and I have mental health issues so I'm all for helping those with mental health issues.

If you really want to get to the crux of the issues, it's the politicians that don't actually care about stopping mass shootings, unless there's a camera in their face...they care about who's paid them more recently.

Having a gun discussion with any person that isn't moderate is a waste of time because everyone is disingenuous...seriously, every anti gun super lib is apparently armed to the teeth and a sharp shooter, but completely fine with giving up their weapons cache for the greater good...and any far right pub just starts calling you a beta cuck if you don't want to arm teachers...it's exhausting

Comment

Originally posted by KUGDI View Post

Then perhaps don't lead with:
                    lol, that is a very fair point...because all those religious people that are thinking and praying probably wish these school shootings would keep happening....so they can think and pray again

this is another thing that irritates me....it's such a stupid thing to think the NRA and gun advocates want this shit to keep happening....cause, yeah, it's made things super easy on them since there has been a mass shooting happening every day...if anything, it'd probably be good for business if this shit stopped happening....then again, I'm sure gun sales have gone way up lately....and, because we all know causation = correlation, it's because BIG GUNS is profiting off of mass shootings, so let's keep it up! Everyone that doesn't agree with me is evil and likes it when babies are murdered

Comment

also, to clarify, my soapbox is not directed at you, LARPHawk, this topic, discussed ANYWHERE from any side is exhausting

Comment

Blaming the tool used is, and always has been, the easy scapegoat in these scenarios -- it also helps that they make a nice object to hold up in front of the cameras for fundraising on both sides. But the fact remains that mass killings are nearly impossible to stop because the people that are committing them are not following the motive pattern of "regular" murders: jealousy, rage, money, revenge, etc. directed at a specific target.

The media tries to paint that picture of some of these murderous assholes -- looking for a way to normalize their motives into something that people can relate to -- but it doesn't change the fact that these are not "regular" murders. Mass-murderers have a screw loose and are choosing their victims at random; they are in many ways serial killers, just with a very short window between kills, or family annihilators that took "It Takes a Village" to heart.

Comment

KUGDI, do you honest think my posting "Looks like it's Thoughts and Prayers Time again" was advocating a particular position? Well, it wasn't. It's just my way of saying I don't know what the solution is but I am tired of the only thing some politicians can think to do is offer Thoughts and Prayers.

Comment

I think it's often used derogatorily towards anyone who doesn't toe the left-wing line and agree the only answer is immediate and severe gun control. And your post in no way limited your criticism to politicians.

Perhaps you didn't mean it that way,

Comment

^^ My thoughts and prayers are with you

Comment

^^ My thoughts and prayers are with you
                                Thanks man.

Comment

Working...
                                X