X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• D&D Discussion Thread

Yes, we get it, NERDS lololololol

revengeofthenerds.jpg pic

Ok, so all that funny business is out of the way, I wanted to discuss some general things about the world now that my party is out of the 5e starter campaign.

It took a year to get through, mainly because we're all adults and syncing up schedules is hard enough and then one of our party went and had a baby without even asking us...the nerve.

We got a 3d printer (JG Maker off Amazon) that is pretty bad ass. We've started printing minis for combat which, having visuals make combat quite a bit easier.

Here's a look at the type of minis we printed....this was at another game that had a custom table (I'll get to that in a bit)

Second, one of our members made an initiative tracker....it's just a pole with clothespins with names painted on, but helps us keep track of where we are in battle...it's really handy, but very manual:

And now, we're in life after the starter campaign...doing some homebrew mixed in, which is going to be fun, but as the accountant in the group, I'm wanting to name our business and track income and expenses and use it to be helpful in the community we have settled down in. Additionally, I want to have a "fortress of solitude" for our members to return to from their travels and I want to design a "manor" for us. We killed a dragon in the starter campaign and I decided to name our home "Dragonshead Manor"....one in our group took a stab at a draft for our signage for our manor, that I think is pretty bad ass...."roll for high five" is an inside joke and we're talking about translating that into draconic

Anyway, this thread can be general discussion, because I think several here have mentioned an interest in D&D or have played in another life, but I always like hearing ideas and thoughts about how to enhance games

Oh yeah, and the table. We'd like to build a custom table with a monitor in the center. I don't think it would be that difficult, and I intend to google/look around reddit ideas, but I figured I'd ask if anyone here built one or knows anyone that built one

Comment

Originally posted by Joe Norris View Post
      Yes, we get it, NERDS lololololol

revengeofthenerds.jpg pic

Ok, so all that funny business is out of the way, I wanted to discuss some general things about the world now that my party is out of the 5e starter campaign.

It took a year to get through, mainly because we're all adults and syncing up schedules is hard enough and then one of our party went and had a baby without even asking us...the nerve.
      Debatable.

Comment

Originally posted by WolfShirtSophomore View Post

Debatable.
        Kind of thing said by a sad and ignorant man with no friends :'(

I guess it's not crushin' beers and screwin chicks though! (granted I'd imagine you're only doing one of those....so am I, but not the same one you're doing)

Comment

I hate to admit it, but I'm a little bit jealous and also way to insecure to have posted what you did.

Ben, Rob, Scott, Lapoe and I used to spend many a Friday night in Ben's basement playing D&D. Ben was always the DM, since it was his house. Eventually, we discovered girls and the games stopped. Also, about that time I think there was some big to-do about how the game was causing kids to kill themselves or others because it was encouraging us to become devil worshipers. Odd, because I became a devil worshiper through listening to Motley Crue, not a game; that would be absurd.

Has that game made a resurgence?

Comment

I've always been interested, but I've never known anyone to play with, and it's not a genre of activity I want to go out seeking strangers to play with.

Comment

Perhaps it's my advanced age, but nothing really embarrasses me any more. People will make fun of you for something don't understand (see WolfShirt who also does his drivebys in video game threads) in any topic, this is no different. Might as well just assume that you're gonna get some of that and move on.

I honestly have no clue whether the game has made a resurgence, I've been wanting to play for years and I mentioned it in a group of friends, one of which had been wanting to DM a game for n00bs, and it worked perfectly.

Regarding discovering girls, my GF actually plays and she's joined my campaign and I've joined hers, so we get to spend time together doing that.

And LARP, I totally hear you. I couldn't play with strangers either, or at least fully. I didn't know 3 of the 7 in our group at the beginning, but got to know them really quickly as we got moving forward in the game. I recall it was super awkward the first get together...describing what we were doing, it just felt unnatural. Then I put it in the context of a video game and it just made sense....now, when we get together 5-6 hours disappears and we look forward to the next time we're able to play.

Sure it sounds funny, talking about spells and potions, and fighting baddies, and so on, but it's a blast every time we play

Comment

Originally posted by illinijhawk View Post
                I hate to admit it, but I'm a little bit jealous and also way to insecure to have posted what you did.

Ben, Rob, Scott, Lapoe and I used to spend many a Friday night in Ben's basement playing D&D. Ben was always the DM, since it was his house. Eventually, we discovered girls and the games stopped. Also, about that time I think there was some big to-do about how the game was causing kids to kill themselves or others because it was encouraging us to become devil worshipers. Odd, because I became a devil worshiper through listening to Motley Crue, not a game; that would be absurd.

Has that game made a resurgence?
                My 24 year old son plays fairly regularly (a couple times a month) with 2 different groups of people. He's into it along with some other games along these lines, none of which I understand.

Comment

Never played D&D when I was younger, but a friend and I played quite a few tactical wargames in my youth. Squad Leader was always our favorite. We played more than once until the wee hours of the morning.

Comment

Originally posted by beakumhawks View Post
                    Never played D&D when I was younger, but a friend and I played quite a few tactical wargames in my youth. Squad Leader was always our favorite. We played more than once until the wee hours of the morning.
                    I've burned many, many hours playing ASL over the years.

Comment

31/gender-fluid/tejas

Comment

D&D is still pretty big. Wizards of the Coast owns it (Magic the Gathering company). They're now on version 5 of the rule set after killing v3.5. They had a disastrous v4 that most people hated.

Paizo has kept the 3.5 rules alive with their version, called Pathfinder. They are now on v2 of their rules and also have a science fantasy game called Starfinder.

Joe, did I recall that you had moved to the Kansas City area? If so, I would recommend Tabletop Game & Hobby at 9156 Metcalf in OP for game supplies.

Comment

Originally posted by ephemeral View Post
                          D&D is still pretty big. Wizards of the Coast owns it (Magic the Gathering company). They're now on version 5 of the rule set after killing v3.5. They had a disastrous v4 that most people hated.

Paizo has kept the 3.5 rules alive with their version, called Pathfinder. They are now on v2 of their rules and also have a science fantasy game called Starfinder.

Joe, did I recall that you had moved to the Kansas City area? If so, I would recommend Tabletop Game & Hobby at 9156 Metcalf in OP for game supplies.
                          You recall correctly, and I have been there! Great shop. Great place to hang out

Comment

Really enjoyed D&D back in the day. Last time I tried to play in college, it bored me to tears (likely because the DM didn't have good control of the group or seem to have a coherent campaign) and it didn't help that while I was burning all those hours on it a couple girls came by the apartment looking for me. That was the last time for me.

Had some friends that ran some Neverwinter Nights campaigns with on PC after college and that was a hell of a lot of fun, but basically just dungeon raiding. Plus it was convenient because all the friends I had to game with were now scattered around the country.

At this point, I don't think the 4-8 hours it takes to get a good weekly run in fits in with my life. Though walking in downtown Lawrence over the weekend brought out some fun memories of a couple gaming shops down there that I used to frequent.

Comment

580340A8-75E1-4004-9009-898F7F1CA8CB.jpeg

Comment

Working...
                              X