Realtor-like thinkers of the Wheat!!!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Realtor-like thinkers of the Wheat!!!

We're struggling to sell our house. It's huge. 6 bedrooms and 4400 square feet. Is it legal to call it a 5 bedroom (1 bedroom is used as an office and seems more like an office). I think 5 bedrooms would be easier to sell, but I don't know if it's legal to lie. Every Google search result I find is designed for people who are trying to make their house look like it has more bedrooms than it has.

Call it a "classic study" in your listing.

Comment

If only we had someone on here who knows everything about everything....

Comment

By the way, no idea if it's legal but you could always call it a second story sex-dungeon (new carpet upon sale).

Comment

I literally Googled "Is it legal to sell a 6 bedroom house as a five bedroom house plus a study?" and this came up. Hahahaha

https://www.trulia.com/voices/Home_S...s_it_matt-8077 <-----Click here as the preview link below is broken and this site software will not allow me to delete it without deleting the entire post.

Last edited by FrobozMumbar; 08-12-19, 05:49 PM.

Comment

No idea why the link works, but the preview doesn't. But there it is.

Comment

Oddly, after 20ish years in real estate law, I've never pondered this. I don't think it's "illegal", perhaps against the rules of the MLS or whatever listing service you have, or perhaps "bedroom" is a defined term under your local codes which require a certain sf or means of egress in the event of a fire, but a room is a room is a room for the most part. What you choose to call it matters not under the law (of my jurisdiction anyway, Michigan might be fucked up). Generally, if there is a window in that room which would allow someone to escape if a fire was at their door, you can use it as a "bedroom", but again, that's by local ordinance generally and not state or federal statutes. I don't think you'll be hauled off with El Chapo if you call it a bedroom.

Comment

From the above link, it looks like most people are hanging their hat on whether or not the room has a closet, but that's in order to refer to a study as a bedroom. Don't know if it matters when approaching it from the opposite direction.

Comment

Do you have a Realtor that you are paying that could answer that question?

Comment

I'm struggling to comprehend how anyone could claim to be damaged by that.

Comment

Not that it helps but in South Carolina a room above the garage can't be used as a bedroom. Game room, den, sex-dungeon are all ok. Known as a Frog. Free room over garage.

One of kind house can be a challenge to sell. When we lived in the far northwest burbs a United Airlines executive built an authentic Japanese home along the Fox river. Authentic gardens home etc. Early 90s he put on the market for $1.8m. It finally sold several years later for the value of the land minus the demolition costs of the home.

When all else fails lower your price. Or contact the local Mormon temple.

Comment

Originally posted by Thejayhawk78 View Post
                        Not that it helps but in South Carolina a room above the garage can't be used as a bedroom. Game room, den, sex-dungeon are all ok. Known as a Frog. Free room over garage.

One of kind house can be a challenge to sell. When we lived in the far northwest burbs a United Airlines executive built an authentic Japanese home along the Fox river. Authentic gardens home etc. Early 90s he put on the market for $1.8m. It finally sold several years later for the value of the land minus the demolition costs of the home.

When all else fails lower your price. Or contact the local Mormon temple.
                        That sounds amazing. I would have bought it for the price of the land and kept the house. Of course, I lived in a traditional Japanese house in Fujiyoshida for a year, so maybe that has something to do with it.

Comment

Originally posted by GardArmighty View Post
                          Do you have a Realtor that you are paying that could answer that question?
                          HAHAHA! Sort of. I *have* a realtor for another 4 weeks and then the contract is up. We don't plan to keep using this person. On Sept. 8, we'll switch to another realtor. I'll ask him anyway.

Originally posted by [B
                          illinijhawk[/B]]
                          Oddly, after 20ish years in real estate law, I've never pondered this. I don't think it's "illegal", perhaps against the rules of the MLS or whatever listing service you have, or perhaps "bedroom" is a defined term under your local codes which require a certain sf or means of egress in the event of a fire, but a room is a room is a room for the most part. What you choose to call it matters not under the law (of my jurisdiction anyway, Michigan might be fucked up). Generally, if there is a window in that room which would allow someone to escape if a fire was at their door, you can use it as a "bedroom", but again, that's by local ordinance generally and not state or federal statutes. I don't think you'll be hauled off with El Chapo if you call it a bedroom.
                          Yeah, according to the Michigan rules, we have an exercise room that has 2 door and a window along with a closet just outside of it. It would technically be a bedroom under the language used here. It's narrow (maybe 7' x 11'), but it could be a decent nursery or have a twin bed. But 7 bedrooms wouldn't help at all and the realtor didn't count it when we were getting it ready for the market.

jayhawk78, we have been lowering the price. Based on other homes in the area, we started about $80,000 over what it is now. We lower it about $10,000/week for the past 6 weeks. I think we're at our bottom, though. We had 3 showings about 2 weeks ago where the realtors all gave us feedback that the price is great, but that it was just too big for their clients. We lowered it anyway just to try and get it sold.

Okay, sex-dungeon it is! Thanks.

Comment

Originally posted by EasyDisease View Post
                            I'm struggling to comprehend how anyone could claim to be damaged by that.
                            "This isn't a sex-dungeon, it's an extra bedroom. What the fuck am I going to do with a sixth bedroom!?"

Comment

Originally posted by sean View Post

HAHAHA! Sort of. I *have* a realtor for another 4 weeks and then the contract is up. We don't plan to keep using this person. On Sept. 8, we'll switch to another realtor. I'll ask him anyway.

Yeah, according to the Michigan rules, we have an exercise room that has 2 door and a window along with a closet just outside of it. It would technically be a bedroom under the language used here. It's narrow (maybe 7' x 11'), but it could be a decent nursery or have a twin bed. But 7 bedrooms wouldn't help at all and the realtor didn't count it when we were getting it ready for the market.

jayhawk78, we have been lowering the price. Based on other homes in the area, we started about $80,000 over what it is now. We lower it about $10,000/week for the past 6 weeks. I think we're at our bottom, though. We had 3 showings about 2 weeks ago where the realtors all gave us feedback that the price is great, but that it was just too big for their clients. We lowered it anyway just to try and get it sold.

Okay, sex-dungeon it is! Thanks.
                              Is the house fully insured? I can solve your problem for $25K and a round-trip ticket.

Comment

Working...
                              X