TSA Pre-Check

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• TSA Pre-Check

I have my appointment tomorrow, long overdue...never done it before because I fly usually like 4-8 times a year....I've got 2 and a half more months of two flights a week, so I decided it's time to do it.

How long is the appointment? Is it painless?

Do most wheaters have it? I can't wait to be done with the shoes and the pulling the electronics out and so on.

I got mine a few years ago and love it. Worth the $$$. Now I need to do the Global Entry things so that when I jetset across the globe I can slide right through customs and passport control.

Comment

Originally posted by GardArmighty View Post
      I got mine a few years ago and love it. Worth the $$$. Now I need to do the Global Entry things so that when I jetset across the globe I can slide right through customs and passport control.
      Yeah, I thought about doing that as well...but it's not as urgent....$85 for 5 years just seems like a no brainer

Comment

Originally posted by GardArmighty View Post
        Try out the Mobile Pass app. It’s not Global Entry but does speed up the entry process quite a lot.

Comment

Global Entry includes pre-check I believe, so that’s a better option if available.

It’s a total scam. Pay money, get your fingerprints and other personal info turned over to the government, and get asked weird questions by some underpaid miserable govt agent working in a shitty fluorescent lit office.

The alternative is much worse though. I’ve bought a refundable ticket before just to use my precheck (Delta used to never give it to me, so I’d buy a ticket on another airline and go through with that).

Comment

Originally posted by LARPHawk View Post
            Global Entry includes pre-check I believe, so that’s a better option if available.

It’s a total scam. Pay money, get your fingerprints and other personal info turned over to the government, and get asked weird questions by some underpaid miserable govt agent working in a shitty fluorescent lit office.

The alternative is much worse though. I’ve bought a refundable ticket before just to use my precheck (Delta used to never give it to me, so I’d buy a ticket on another airline and go through with that).
            That's awesome. I wonder if anyone else has thought of that before.

Comment

I love it. Especially if I'm traveling alone with the baby. The shorter line is sweet, but I appreciate not having to take off my shoes and not having to fish for my laptop.

Comment

Originally posted by WolfShirtSophomore View Post

That's awesome. I wonder if anyone else has thought of that before.
                There are probably very few who are annoyed enough by the regular line to bother with booking a whole extra ticket haha. I fly standby, so I'm used to having tickets ready on 2 or 3 different airlines sometimes for the same flight.

I had to go through non-precheck yesterday and left my hoodie at the checkpoint because I'm not used to having to take it off. So if you do get precheck, be prepared for that risk lol.

Comment

I've had TSA Pre and Global Entry for a few years. TSA Pre is so popular these days that I've been instances where the lines end up being as bad as the regular ones. But it moves way faster and still so nice to keep your shoes, belt, wallet, watch, jacket, etc. on and not take out your toiletries and laptop.

But it's kind of funny to see people get all huffy in the TSA Pre line because they have to wait 10 min instead of sailing right through.

Comment

Anyone else notice that TSA Pre guy that checks your ID doesn't need to see your boarding pass anymore? He just scans your license. I'm not sure what I think about that.

Comment

Originally posted by LARPHawk View Post

I love Global Entry. I've had it a few years. I believe it's only $15 more than TSA Pre Check for 5 years, you get both. I've had multiple international flights, but even one makes it worth it. I came back from China on a huge new jet into O'Hare. Other international flights were arriving. I saw the immigration line appeared to have hundreds of people. I walked past every single person and to a Global Entry kiosk. Scanned my passport and I was done. I walked to baggage claim and was the first one there. Our bags were arriving and I was out of the airport before the people on my flight had gone through immigration. Plus, you get a Global Entry ID card that I use for every flight ID check domestically because I like the photo better. It works any time I need to produce an ID. You do have to go to specific places to be interviewed to get it, but I was teaching a class in Detroit so I headed over after the class and there was no line.
                      Last edited by sean; 05-13-19, 08:16 PM.

Comment

Wonder if I can up it from pre check to global entry when I'm at my appointment

Comment

I was flying out of Salt Lake City a few months ago and noticed a new line for CLEAR. The family I watched each walked up and had their retina scanned and they zipped through security about 3 minutes faster than I did in TSA Pre. I just checked and it's being added to more airports (e.g., Detroit just added it near me). https://www.clearme.com/

Hmmm! Some details: The cost of using Clear at airports is $179 a year ($15 a month). Travelers who get a Clear membership can also add up to three family members to their membership for $50 per year, while those under the age of 18 can enter theClear lane with a member free of charge.

You'd probably need to travel a lot to make this worth it (and have it at the airports you use). TSA Pre is still fast enough that I wouldn't even consider Clear. But it's still faster from what I saw. Much faster.

Comment

Originally posted by sean View Post
                            I was flying out of Salt Lake City a few months ago and noticed a new line for CLEAR. The family I watched each walked up and had their retina scanned and they zipped through security about 3 minutes faster than I did in TSA Pre. I just checked and it's being added to more airports (e.g., Detroit just added it near me). https://www.clearme.com/

Hmmm! Some details: The cost of using Clear at airports is $179 a year ($15 a month). Travelers who get a Clear membership can also add up to three family members to their membership for $50 per year, while those under the age of 18 can enter theClear lane with a member free of charge.

You'd probably need to travel a lot to make this worth it (and have it at the airports you use). TSA Pre is still fast enough that I wouldn't even consider Clear. But it's still faster from what I saw. Much faster.
                            It also gets you into some stadia and venues faster. Coors Field for one.

Comment

I have Clear and it’s fantastic. I speak internationally and get my face recognized as I board and exit the plane. Just call me Kardashian. Going to Oman soon.
                              Last edited by MoonlightPhog; 05-13-19, 10:27 PM.

Comment

Working...
                              X