No announcement yet.

One Year Sober

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Well done Joe , though we are waiting for more pictures.

Comment

Originally posted by illinijhawk View Post

Fucking killing it Joe; so happy for you. Just keep swimming. Unfortunately, it never goes away, but eventually becomes a joke among your true friends. Plus, they let you drive the boat at the end of the day, so that's cool.

Rock Fucking Chalk Joe.
      Thanks man! Means a lot coming from a fellow sober pal

Yeah, when I was driving to Tulsa for work a couple weeks ago I started getting antsy driving by all my old haunts, but made it through

and thanks everyone else, as well....I appreciate the support!

RaiderHawk I do need a good updated pic of THE BEARD

Comment

tl;dr: got fired, lost health insurance, still sober, life is good

So, it has apparently been awhile since I updated this post, and a lot has happened in the past year (for all of us, obviously not just me)

First, and foremost, I went crazy during quarantine and...........

I chopped off the beard....I still have one, but it's one of those granola high and tight, plaid shirt wearing kinda beards...

As some of you know, in 2018, I left the "corporate" world and started my own consulting business....2019 was the best year I've ever had financially and 2020 was poised to be even better, but then the obvious happened. Clients cancelled projects and I had to find a "real job" to make ends meet.

I was talking to my CPA and they wanted to hire someone to do what I do for their clients and it seemed perfect. Took a pretty good pay cut to go on the team, but they said all the right things and I thought it was going to be good.

Ron Howard Voice: It wasn't

Turns out, they didn't really have the work to keep me busy on management-type consulting work and they put me into a tax role. During interviews, I made it quite clear that I wasn't a tax guy, I'd be willing to help out and learn, but that I wasn't terribly interested in doing that....anyway, it was like putting a square peg into a round hole and it didn't work....they let me go late January.....kind of annoying, because my health insurance ended 1/31 and my scripts are on a beginning of the month cycle, and I had to reschedule a physical (first world problems) so I'm still working out insurance and getting that covered (they didn't mail cobra paperwork until after my insurance lapsed..even though it's retroactive if I do it in a certain time frame, it's still annoying)

Ok, all that said, I couldn't be happier....I was able to get on a project with an old client that will at least afford me some time to figure out next steps if they don't have longer term options, I'm getting married in 10 months, and I'm not being micromanaged like a little kid anymore......

Oh yeah, I'm also gonna be three years sober in March!

Life is good friends, even when it seems bad....if anyone here is struggling with anything, feel free to PM me, cause you're not alone....and I like to chat

I apologize for my absence here, but I've been pretty miserable since october and things are finally looking up....I just wish it wasn't so cold

Comment

Originally posted by Joe Norris View Post

So, it has apparently been awhile since I updated this post, and a lot has happened in the past year (for all of us, obviously not just me)

I chopped off the beard....I still have one, but it's one of those granola high and tight, plaid shirt wearing kinda beards...

As some of you know, in 2018, I left the "corporate" world and started my own consulting business....2019 was the best year I've ever had financially and 2020 was poised to be even better, but then the obvious happened. Clients cancelled projects and I had to find a "real job" to make ends meet.

I was talking to my CPA and they wanted to hire someone to do what I do for their clients and it seemed perfect. Took a pretty good pay cut to go on the team, but they said all the right things and I thought it was going to be good.

Turns out, they didn't really have the work to keep me busy on management-type consulting work and they put me into a tax role. During interviews, I made it quite clear that I wasn't a tax guy, I'd be willing to help out and learn, but that I wasn't terribly interested in doing that....anyway, it was like putting a square peg into a round hole and it didn't work....they let me go late January.....kind of annoying, because my health insurance ended 1/31 and my scripts are on a beginning of the month cycle, and I had to reschedule a physical (first world problems) so I'm still working out insurance and getting that covered (they didn't mail cobra paperwork until after my insurance lapsed..even though it's retroactive if I do it in a certain time frame, it's still annoying)

Ok, all that said, I couldn't be happier....I was able to get on a project with an old client that will at least afford me some time to figure out next steps if they don't have longer term options, I'm getting married in 10 months, and I'm not being micromanaged like a little kid anymore......

Life is good friends, even when it seems bad....if anyone here is struggling with anything, feel free to PM me, cause you're not alone....and I like to chat

I apologize for my absence here, but I've been pretty miserable since october and things are finally looking up....I just wish it wasn't so cold

You. Complete. Me. You had me at hello. The human head weighs 8 pounds.

Seriously, kudos to your sobriety and I'm glad that your year is finally starting to look up.

Comment

Originally posted by Joe Norris View Post

Anyone that can go through what you've gone through, remain sober and still have a positive attitude is tops, in my opinion. Keep up the positive attitude. That will not only go a long way to keeping you sane, but it will keep you healthy, as well.

Comment

I've been sober for 3 hours (took me an hour after lunch to metabolize). I blame teh cold.

Comment

Joe, as the daughter of an alcoholic (Mom got sober and stayed that way the last 5 years of her life) and the wife of an alcoholic (34 years sober), I am extremely proud of you!

If this past year did not sway you, I predict nothing will.

Stay on your path and take it one day at a time.

Comment

Originally posted by WestHighHawk View Post
                  Joe, as the daughter of an alcoholic (Mom got sober and stayed that way the last 5 years of her life) and the wife of an alcoholic (34 years sober), I am extremely proud of you!

Hey, stay a while. Post more. Intelligent posts are on short supply around here.

Comment

Congrats, Joe, on staying positive. Before this pandemic hit, I was feeling the same way about things for me and my wife financially. 2020 was going to be the year we were able to really turn the corner and make progress on debt reduction and going out more often to concerts and mini vacations. I was out of work permanently at the beginning of September (I was working in the trade show industry) and took a part time job in October at a local Costco because working 35-40 hours a week there was more than unemployment and it allowed me to get out of the house. Got a new job at the end of December, but it's not really what I want to be doing. It's a decent paycheck and I'm hoping the trade show industry comes back in a couple more months because that job is waiting for me when that day happens.

It's been rough and to hear how you have handled it is great! Congrats on your upcoming nuptials and continue sobriety.

Comment

Originally posted by WestHighHawk View Post

Wow! The stuff you've probably been through has surely shown you the evils of alcohol in the wrong hands...glad to hear your mother got sober and your husband is lucky to have you!

Thanks for the kind words...and I agree with WolfShirtSophomore , I like your posts :D

MissTCShore thanks! Yeah there were some tough times and during the pandemic, even just the boredom led to some temptations, but my fiancee has been a great resource to keep me on the straight and narrow...proud to say, when I got canned, alcohol didn't even cross my mind, I just started trying to figure out next steps

FrobozMumbar I always knew you were a big softy and I'm so thrilled you chose my thread to out yourself as such

Like I said, life is good, friends...just sometimes takes a minute to figure out why.

Comment

Joe, Glad to hear you’re staying the course on your sobriety. Hope everything works out for you professionally as well.

Comment

Agree with what MissT said - if you can go through extreme adversity and still come out the back end sober and positive, then you're doing fantastic. That says a lot about how you've turned it around. When the COVID deal dies out finally (this summer?), still need to meet up at the Outlaw for cigars!

Comment

Thanks Lurch22

Absolutely lumberjack, I feel like we've been trying to find a time for that smoke for like 2 years now....amazing how time flies

Also, I just saw this on reddit....dammit Americans!

Comment

Way to go, Joe! You’ve really been through the wringer and I couldn’t be happier for you. Keep it up!

Comment

Originally posted by NoPantsChico View Post
                                Way to go, Joe! You’ve really been through the wringer and I couldn’t be happier for you. Keep it up!
                                Thanks, man, I appreciate it! this board has been nothing but encouraging, which isn't always the case on the internet these days

Comment

Working...
                                X