One Year Sober

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• One Year Sober

Hello friends, it's time for another brag on me thread, because I own this bitch!

Ha, just kidding, but I consider you all to be friends, so I wanted to share what's going on...next Tuesday I will be one year sober and you all have been incredibly supportive of my journey. That's crazy to me, that an internet community could play such a large role in something so personal, but here we are.

tl;dr - I've been sober a year, and that's nuts!

I have always been a big fan of winter, I love snow, I love the cold, I enjoy a good fire, Thanksgiving, Christmas and so on, but this winter seemed to drag on forever. I've never even cared about daylight savings, actually, I've dreaded it, because it meant I was going to sleep even later into a Sunday than I was already doing.

Anyway, I was surprised how much the short days affected sober me. This year, I could not WAIT for DST. As many of you know, over the winter I lost one of my best friends, pretty much a brother, to an extremely aggressive form of cancer and I lost another to suicide. Outside of losing my grandparents, I have been fortunate that these were my first real experiences with loss and I didn't choose the bottle either time.

Something I've learned over the past year is to focus on the positive, though, and I had a shitload of wins to go along with what I might call those losses.

I started a new business, which is thriving, I lost 55 pounds, I got my blood pressure and cholesterol under control and getting better (180/120 -> 125/85 & 252 -> 202), and, as of my bloodwork in December, my liver numbers are back in the middle of the range they should be. There are many people in my life I can give thanks to, but this community has been here for me over this three year journey, for the ups, the downs and everything in between.

One of the biggest things I've had to learn over the past year is patience, I want results and I want them now, but getting 365 days takes 365 days, there's no short cut or quick fix. I still can't believe that I actually made it...from a liter of vodka (or more) per night to sober for a year.

I don't really have many pictures of myself during my bad days, but oddly enough, I got a new DL about a week before I quit drinking. I may have posted it in one of my other threads, I can't remember. Anyway, I'm really grateful that I have it, because I constantly have a reminder on me about where I was and where I never want to go back...I also took a picture yesterday to show the comparison...this is probably 370 days of a difference

I've had quite a few people reach out to me in PMs over the past year when I share these threads, and that's one of my goals in being open about my journey....you never know who's dealing with something and that's why mental health is such a big deal to me...I didn't have some barrier to share, except for the one that I had built up in my head....I want to open those doors for as many people as possible...I guess my point is, I love chatting, I love meeting new people, if you're struggling with something and don't know where to start, I'd love a PM and to chat with you (and if you're in the area, to buy you lunch or a coffee) and pick your brain and let you pick mine

Which one is the Before pic and which one is the After?

Srsly though, huge congrats. I can't imagine what you went through, and then to turn your life around like you have. Way to go, and here's to a clean, sober, and happy future!!

Comment

Originally posted by GardArmighty View Post
      Which one is the Before pic and which one is the After?

Srsly though, huge congrats. I can't imagine what you went through, and then to turn your life around like you have. Way to go, and here's to a clean, sober, and happy future!!
      Haha, "I don't see the difference, is your beard longer?"

Thanks, man, it's been quite a ride and I'm grateful to be here to tell the tale...to an extent, I wish I had more pics from when I was at my rock bottom, but the DL pic is bad enough that at least I have it

Comment

Congrats! If you ever make it down to Wichita, I'll buy you lunch.

Comment

The next time I see you, I'll buy you a drink and then drink it myself!

Comment

Congrats! You always seem to have such a great attitude and positivity. Keep it up, it's working!

Comment

Congrats on all your achievements! Even under "normal" circumstances, it can be easy to downgrade the importance of taking the time to enjoy things and build positive, meaningful relationships. Keep it going!

Comment

Huge props to you for turning this around. The difference in the photos is incredible! I was disappointed that we couldn’t get together when I was in KC. I will be there a few times a year and we’ll make it happen.

Comment

Originally posted by Lurch22 View Post
                  Huge props to you for turning this around. The difference in the photos is incredible! I was disappointed that we couldn’t get together when I was in KC. I will be there a few times a year and we’ll make it happen.
                  Yup, I was too. Any other time I would have loved to meet up, just poor timing of circumstances :'(

Next time!

And if you find yourself in Dallas for work the next two months, look me up

Comment

Originally posted by Joe Norris View Post

Yup, I was too. Any other time I would have loved to meet up, just poor timing of circumstances :'(

Next time!

And if you find yourself in Dallas for work the next two months, look me up
                    Check out Slow Bone, http://www.slowbone.com/, and Luck, http://luckdallas.com/, while you are in Dallas. One of the part owners of Luck is a Kansas guy, his name is Lance. Luck is part of Trinity Groves, and there are several really tasty restaurants in there.

Comment

Originally posted by RaiderHawk View Post

Check out Slow Bone, http://www.slowbone.com/, and Luck, http://luckdallas.com/, while you are in Dallas. One of the part owners of Luck is a Kansas guy, his name is Lance. Luck is part of Trinity Groves, and there are several really tasty restaurants in there.
                      Awesome, thanks for the suggestions! only ever flown through Dallas, so I'm going in blind

Comment

Congratulations Joe! If I lived in the KC area, I would build you a cake. Instead, I will send you an internet hug.

Comment

Originally posted by hankypanky View Post
                          Congratulations Joe! If I lived in the KC area, I would build you a cake. Instead, I will send you an internet hug.
                          I accept all forms of Internet hugs!

good to see you hanky, hope all is well with the little one

Comment

That's pretty awesome, Joe. Happy for you. That takes real strength to accomplish what you have over the past year. About time for meet up at the Outlaw!

Comment

Originally posted by Joe Norris View Post

Awesome, thanks for the suggestions! only ever flown through Dallas, so I'm going in blind
                              I have a pretty long list of good places to eat. Worked 6.5 years in Dallas and tried a lot of places on vendor dimes.

Rodeo Goat, https://www.rodeogoat.com/dallas/, is my favorite burger down there. Usually smokin' waitresses as well.

Comment

Working...
                              X