Travel Recommendation Thread

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Travel Recommendation Thread

so, I’m in Scottsdale for a conference this week and don’t have a ton of free time, but I’ve got some

ive got a lot of meals scheduled ahead of time, but I’ve got a few openings, so I’m here for any recommendations

Anything I have to have while I’m here? I’m going to get Lou Malnatis tomorrow and hoping it’s as good as it is in Chicago, but other than that, let me know if there’s anything I need to try to do while I’m here.

i found a cigar spot that I’m going to tonight, went in there last night while we were waiting for dinner and they have a nice humidor

Steak 44 is fantastic! And there’s an awesome cigar bar right next door.

Comment

You going to kick it with enfuego?

Comment

Originally posted by okjayhawker View Post
        You going to kick it with enfuego?

s03e08_720.jpg

Comment

Originally posted by Hawker007 View Post
          Steak 44 is fantastic! And there’s an awesome cigar bar right next door.
          Steak 44 looks awesome, I would like to add that toy itinerary. The conference I'm at is energy and very casual from a work perspective, so I didn't bring slacks or anything. Jeans/polo/button down, will that fly or should I get something else?

Comment

Just got back from Scottsdale Saturday. Best steakhouse is Dominicks up at Kierland commons. Think there’s a Mastros there for seafood also. White Chocolate is a good casual restaurant. Started by some old Houston's people so they do the baby back ribs really well.
            Where are you going for cigars? I found some spot in a warehouse district up by Scottsdale airport that I went to once.

Comment

Nice recs, lumberjack , thanks....I will look those up. I'm going to Lou's tonight after golf (if you can call what I do golf)

The cigar spot ive been to is called Skallywags, it's got a small smoking area and they told me to come back and hang out with them. I bought Tennesee Waltz, Yellow Rose, and MJ12 There, 2 of the 3 have been good and I'll smoke the other tonight probably.

I wouldn't mind checking out the place Hawler mentioned above as well, but I don't have a ton of unclaimed time

Comment

Joe, it's a sweet steakhouse. Wear jeans and a nice shirt and you should be good. And there is a great cigar bar next door. Had my first Rip Van Winkle there before heading to Steak 44 and sitting next to Howie Long and his crew (we both had our dinner birthdays there). Then, the pastry chef came out at the end with this amazing cake that he'd been making all day just for Howie. He proceeded to dump the whole thing on the floor. It was pretty damn funny, but we felt so bad for the chef. Howie was not amused.

Comment

Why the long face, Howie? Laughing is the only proper response in that situation.

Comment

If you were ever a fan of Houston's on the Plaza, there's a surviving outpost on North Scottsdale Rd. Same logo as the one we lost last year. Citizen Public House in Old Town was pretty good as well.

Comment

Originally posted by Hokken View Post
                      If you were ever a fan of Houston's on the Plaza, there's a surviving outpost on North Scottsdale Rd. Same logo as the one we lost last year. Citizen Public House in Old Town was pretty good as well.
                      God I miss Houston's. I keep hoping they'll reappear out in Overland Park somewhere (like near me).

Comment

Originally posted by lumberjack View Post

God I miss Houston's. I keep hoping they'll reappear out in Overland Park somewhere (like near me).
                        I never ate there...I believe they're in the same restaurant group as redrock? For upscale chain (yes, yes, I know), Redrock is pretty good, IMO

Comment

Alright, bumping this thread already, because I will be in Duarte, CA (near Pasadena, I think) 2/6-2/11

I found out today that one of my best friends from college and former roommate is gravely ill...he's been keeping it from me because he didn't want me to worry, but he's been sedated and not breathing on his own, so his wife thought it was time to let me know...blah

I'll be with him as much as possible but I'm guessing there will be a lot of down time, so, if you've been in the area, let me have it

Cigars, Steaks, etc.....

Comment

Sorry to hear that man. That’s tough to go through. He’s lucky to have a friend like you.

Comment

Originally posted by KUGDI View Post
                              Sorry to hear that man. That’s tough to go through. He’s lucky to have a friend like you.
                              Appreciate that, I know he'd do the same for me....hoping it's not my last visit, but either way, this is the beginning of a long haul for everyone.

Comment

Working...
                              X