Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

CBD: Snake Oil or Real Deal?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • CBD: Snake Oil or Real Deal?

    Tell me about CBD oil. Anyone use it? Anyone Swear by it? Anyone swear against it?

    The supplement discussion reminded me that I've been meaning to ask the wheat about it....I know several people that say it's a miracle drug and changed their lives, I know several people that say it's snake oil

    As usual, I come to the wheat, an ignorant fool
    18
    Snake Oil
    27.78%
    5
    Real Deal
    22.22%
    4
    No Clue - Show me the Results
    50.00%
    9

  • #2
    1000% not snake oil, but if it's a miracle drug for you I'd say you're the very rare exception. What specific benefit are they saying it was a miracle for? Pain relief?

    Comment


    • #3
      Yeah, it's still an inexact science. For some people, it's a miracle cure- for others, it has little to no effect. But it's 100% worth trying.

      Comment


      • #4
        Overall, I'd say it is once again primarily placebo, especially for those who claim its a miracle drug. That's not to say that a slight change affected by CBD can't have a huge effect. Like stew implied, more research is needed. Real research, not the shit High Times magazine used to put out there about how smoking weed will cure your asthma, appetite, and autism. Unfortunately, truly neutral research is pretty hard to find. Its getting better though. And I'd expect there to be pretty nice proven benefits once it is refined to target those things.

        Edit to add: to be clear, I also believe that placebo is incredibly powerful, and if it works for you, continue it.
        Last edited by KUGDI; 12-13-18, 05:35 PM.

        Comment


        • #5
          Originally posted by LARPHawk View Post
          1000% not snake oil, but if it's a miracle drug for you I'd say you're the very rare exception. What specific benefit are they saying it was a miracle for? Pain relief?
          Pain relief and anxiety...I have crazy anxiety, so I'm always looking for new ways to manage, but I haven't dipped my toe in this pond yet

          Comment


          • #6
            Originally posted by Joe Norris View Post

            Pain relief and anxiety...I have crazy anxiety, so I'm always looking for new ways to manage, but I haven't dipped my toe in this pond yet
            THC can have a positive affect on anxiety- it can also make your anxiety profoundly worse.. I would try a very small amount- like 1 hit- of low grade (low level THC) Indica at night. See if that has a relaxing effect on you. I have know people with life long anxiety issues who swear by THC's relaxing power.

            Comment


            • #7
              CBD absolutely has medical applications that have been proven through legitimate studies, but it's not a cure all. In Texas, it's only currently approved for children with seizure disorders, and even then they have to jump through a bunch of hoops. But I suspect that may change as the new Farm Bill appears to open the door to CBD production.

              Comment


              • #8
                I thought I was going to need to put my black lab down a month ago for arthritis that was keeping him from standing. I was told to try CBD (for dogs). It hasn’t cured him completely, but he can now move around considerably better.

                Comment


                • #9
                  Very few proven benefits. It needs to be studied more. I was on a scientific panel that discussed this (as well as medicinal marijuana), so while I'm no expert, I can claim that I am.

                  Comment


                  • #10
                    Originally posted by EasyDisease View Post
                    CBD absolutely has medical applications that have been proven through legitimate studies, but it's not a cure all. In Texas, it's only currently approved for children with seizure disorders, and even then they have to jump through a bunch of hoops. But I suspect that may change as the new Farm Bill appears to open the door to CBD production.
                    Sorry bro. That is an incorrect statement. (But if I'm wrong, post the literature that supports your claims.)

                    Comment


                    • #11
                      Originally posted by soapboxstew View Post
                      Yeah, it's still an inexact science. For some people, it's a miracle cure- for others, it has little to no effect. But it's 100% worth trying.
                      Agree. The science isn't there yet, but there's no downside to trying.

                      Comment


                      • #12
                        Originally posted by KUGDI View Post
                        Overall, I'd say it is once again primarily placebo, especially for those who claim its a miracle drug. That's not to say that a slight change affected by CBD can't have a huge effect. Like stew implied, more research is needed. Real research, not the shit High Times magazine used to put out there about how smoking weed will cure your asthma, appetite, and autism. Unfortunately, truly neutral research is pretty hard to find. Its getting better though. And I'd expect there to be pretty nice proven benefits once it is refined to target those things.

                        Edit to add: to be clear, I also believe that placebo is incredibly powerful, and if it works for you, continue it.
                        Well stated, KUGDI.

                        It's easy to get on the bandwagon if you support pot legalization (which I do). It's also easy to vilify it if you are a soldier in the War on Drugs.

                        Both extremes are wrong and misguided. CBD needs to be evaluated like any other compound without being biased by its association to pot.

                        Comment


                        • #13
                          The little bit that I have read, as others have stated, it has some merit but more research and clinical trials are needed. I found that some believe that THC and CBD are both needed to have the full effect as they work better together than separate. It's just nice to see the stigma start to lift and real research being done on it.

                          Comment


                          • #14
                            Originally posted by GardArmighty View Post

                            Sorry bro. That is an incorrect statement. (But if I'm wrong, post the literature that supports your claims.)
                            https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC5767492/

                            Comment


                            • #15
                              I don't care to get into an academic argument with "Dr." Gard, but I don't see how one could disagree with the fact that there is significant evidence of its efficacy in various flavors of childhood seizure disorders.

                              Comment

                              Working...
                              X