What tie do I need?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• What tie do I need?

I have a job interview for an academic leadership position coming up next month. I think I am going to wear a dark olive suit like this (and this isn't it, but pretty close to the exact color): https://www.amazon.com/STACY-ADAMS-V...dp/B07578PCSW/

I will wear a high-quality white shirt.

So, what do you suggest for a tie? Color or pattern, etc.???

I have a bunch of ties I wore to China for my recent trips, but those ties were chosen to give me flair and pizazz (e.g., orange and paisley and quirky because, hey, I was just being me). But for an interview, I can use my presentation and various meetings to allow my personality to show, so I don't need the suit to communicate anything other than, "Hey, this guy would be perfect as our dean." But I still don't want totally boring, either. Thus, I turn to my best buddies here.

Red might send the wrong message. Maybe blue is best. Oh, I am floundering here.

Comment

Something like this might work....

Comment

I think this would also go well with an Olive suit....

Comment

Also, I think anything with a medium brown tone would probably be fine.

Another thing, if you could find one with the school colors (or even the logo) of the school you are interviewing for, that might be a nice touch.

Comment

Here's something in a red, but not a "power" red; it's more subdued and darker, with a hint of a brown tone. This would probably work well with Olive, depending on how dark or bright the olive color is....

Comment

if it's the Utah job, wear a red tie.

And nothing else.

Comment

Originally posted by MissTCShore View Post
                Also, I think anything with a medium brown tone would probably be fine.

Another thing, if you could find one with the school colors (or even the logo) of the school you are interviewing for, that might be a nice touch.
                School colors are purple and white (ever so slightly darker purple than K-State). I am probably not going to do purple.

Comment

Wikijobs notes:
                  How are tie colors perceived?

How colors are perceived:
                  • Blue: Confident, reliable, honest. Wearing a strong blue tie is a good idea for interview!
                  • Brown: Confident, resilient, boring. Brown can be an excellent choice for an interview situation, but be careful. Some brown ties can look terrible, and your interviewer will pick up on this. Make sure you get a second opinion on how you look before you step out.
                  • Red: Assertive, bold, confident. Be aware that this may make you appear overbearing, over-assertive, cocky or arrogant in an interviewers eyes.
                  • Yellow/Orange: Quirky, unusual, off-beat. These colors will get you remembered, but not necessarily for the right reasons. More suited to creative/media jobs.
                  • Black: A black suit will always look good, but you should never wear a black tie to an interview.
                  • Grey: Stylish, but can be dull.
                  • Green: Not a good color for interview, unless it’s a pastel shade. Green is often associated with untrustworthiness and deceit.
                  • Striped: Be careful when wearing stripes. Too many stripes will make you seem slightly unhinged and may make your interviewer nervous.
                  Last edited by sean; 12-13-18, 02:42 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by sean View Post
                    Red might send the wrong message. Maybe blue is best. Oh, I am floundering here.
                    What message would you like to send?

Comment

What kind of knot are you going with?

Comment

What are you planning to eat for breakfast next month?

Comment

Originally posted by KUGDI View Post

What message would you like to send?
                          Probably something subliminal or in Morse code. Why?

Comment

Originally posted by Joe Norris View Post
                            What kind of knot are you going with?
                            I suck, so this one is the only knot I can make:

Screen Shot 2018-12-13 at 4.21.38 PM.png

Comment

Originally posted by EasyDisease View Post
                              What are you planning to eat for breakfast next month?
                              I don't eat breakfast. I anticipate still not eating breakfast next month.

Comment

Working...
                              X