Xmas Computer Halp!!

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Xmas Computer Halp!!

Okay nerds (and I say that as a term on endearment), I need help getting a home PC for my 8 year old daughter for Christmas. I bring shame to my generation for my lack of tech savvy; but my 8 year old daughter is something of a savant. She’s well beyond her years operating an iPad and she is ready for some heavy machinery. She wants to game (think Roblox & Minecraft or any of the other 100 apps she has on her iPad); she wants to stream movies and music; she would like to edit photos and videos; and I would like for her to be able to do future homework assignments on it as needed. She’s only ever had a Mac- so ideally it would be a iMac of some sort, but the prices seem to be totally insane.. I’ve got the whole extended family pitching in for this, with a budget in the $750-$1000 range.

Please, help me nerds, you’re my only hope.

The basic iMac starts at $1099, which is just beyond the top end of your budget, but it would probably be everything she needs. The MacBook Air is a bit more, starting at around $1200, I think.

Dell has some All-in-one desktops for $699 that might work well for her. All-in-one meaning no "tower" to hook up to. The guts of the computer are in the same physical box as the screen.

https://www.dell.com/en-us/shop/dell...on-24-5477-aio

Comment

Don't need much power to run Minecraft and that genre of games. My advice would be to buy a an actual tower from someone like Dell or HP with the ability to add a much better video card in the future. Really zero reason to buy any Mac. PC can do the same and has much more flexibility.

I'd go with this for $529 and add their option for the $130 monitor.

https://deals.dell.com/productdetail...=19&l=en&s=dhs

Comment

Mac deals are harder to come by than PC deals, but Macs will last longer if you treat them even halfway decently. If you're flexible on getting a PC over a Mac, you'll be able to find something more easily. Just make sure it has a strong graphics card and processor, otherwise it's going to come up short in the photo/video editing and gaming pursuits.

Comment

Good advice so far. I'm a Mac guy, but I have to run Windows at work, but I reluctantly must admit that Windows 10 is very nice and "Mac-like." An 8 year old will be able to do anything on a 10 box as she will on a Mac, IMO. So as much as I love Macs, if that was my daughter, I'd save hundreds and go with a nice mid-range PC.

Comment

Thank you nerds so much

- I'm leaning more and more towards a Windows 10 mid-range PC with 'strong graphics and processor' You guys (and gal) Rock!

Comment

Should I shop the deals on amazon- or should I shop elsewhere?

Comment

You can get a great deal if you venture out East on Colfax after 10 pm....

Comment

Good timing, I just got this from Costco. I’d still go with a PC and save the money, but it’s your money not mine!

88BF8BC6-1ECA-47E5-AB8C-F553BEC62FEB.jpeg

Comment

You might want to check out SlickDeals once you get an idea of the top 2-3 specs you need. Just don’t get too bogged down in the threads as that community can nitpick things to death.

Comment

Originally posted by KUGDI View Post
                      You can get a great deal if you venture out East on Colfax after 10 pm....

Comment

How do you guys feel about refurbished iMacs?

Comment

I’ll echo Raider and Gard...it’s better to go with an upgradable PC. Get a good deal on a box with a high-end i5 or i7 CPU (or AMD equivalent) with a healthy amount of RAM, no less than 8GB. That will be a pretty decent “beginner gamer” machine. You can upgrade the GPU, RAM, and SSD if/when it’s needed.

This coming from a Mac guy. But it’s really difficult to upgrade Macs these days. Although one option would be to get a souped up Mac Mini (allows for RAM upgrades) and add an external GPU. But that will exceed your budget.

Comment

my brother has a 2013 MBP he's selling, his wife upgraded and doesn't need it anymore, if you wanted to go that route

I personally would never buy an old machine, but Macs are pretty damn reliable. I think they want in the neighborhood of 500-600, and that may be more than you're looking to spend...I don't have specs, but if you're interested I can either put you in touch with him or get specs for you

Comment

I've been pleased with NewEgg...

Comment

Working...
                              X