Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Kansas coming in at #7!

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • #16
    Originally posted by Hokken View Post

    Ja, genau! Where were you? I drove on the 3 this summer from Regensburg down through Passau and then into Austria. What you wrote is unknown fantasy to so many idiot American drivers but so true in the German-speaking world. They take it seriously, they don't text/drive and for fucks sake they stay out of the passing lane.
    I remember my mother being scared to death to drive on the Autobahn, dad however, loved it. Back when we lived there in the 90's.

    Comment


    • #17
      Originally posted by Hokken View Post

      Ja, genau! Where were you? I drove on the 3 this summer from Regensburg down through Passau and then into Austria. What you wrote is unknown fantasy to so many idiot American drivers but so true in the German-speaking world. They take it seriously, they don't text/drive and for fucks sake they stay out of the passing lane.
      Went from Luxembourg City up to Wittenburg to Berlin. Then to Amsterdam after a few days in Berlin.

      Because they take it serious, they're really safe driving at high speeds. They seemed hyper-vigilant and strictly adhered to driving rules. I never turned on the cruise control but our cruising speed was about 100 mph when on the no-limit portions and frequently was blown by. Natives drivers were relaxed; I was extra alert but got used to it as the miles went by. One point I was doing something like 110 around another car when I got flashed by someone behind me who appeared out of nowhere. After quickly moving over for them, they took off and disappeared in no time; guessing they were doing 140+

      Again, if we were as serious about it here, I'd imagine you'd see a major drop in accidents and fatalities.

      Comment


      • #18
        Originally posted by WolfShirtSophomore View Post

        I remember my mother being scared to death to drive on the Autobahn, dad however, loved it. Back when we lived there in the 90's.
        I got the rental up to 145, and it was exhilarating. My brother didn't want to drive.

        Comment


        • #19
          Originally posted by markhawk View Post

          Add Omaha drivers to your worst list.

          I was in Germany last month and was on the Autobahn...Germans know how to drive.

          The left lane is only for passing as quickly and safely as possible, not for Sunday driving. You end up looking in your mirrors 100x more than you would here in the States, to be sure you’re out of the way of faster vehicles. And when you’re passing another car going a slightly slower speed, you accelerate around them and get back into the right lane; not rely on cruise control to take 5 minutes to get around them. Plus many more examples.

          I wish driving schools here taught like like they do there.
          The Germans are good at following rules. They're TOO good at it.

          Comment


          • #20
            Originally posted by markhawk View Post

            I got the rental up to 145, and it was exhilarating. My brother didn't want to drive.
            I bought a Renault diesel wagon when we landed in Frankfort and had my whole family on board so I could barely get to 144 kph but I was being passed like I was standing still. Kansas has 75 speed limits and that’s a pretty nice effort.

            Comment


            • #21
              Fun facts on Germany:

              You can't drive a car without a guardian until you're 18.

              If you don't test (and pass) on a manual transmission, then your license restricts your driving to automatics.

              It costs around $2000 USD to obtain a license.

              Approximately 28-30% of people fail the driven portion of the test. I'm not sure what the passage rate on the written portion is, but I'm sure its much lower than in the U.S.

              Bottom line: Germany makes it expensive to obtain a license and takes the preparation and testing VERY seriously before letting people out on the road. That's why they can have fun things like autobahns.

              Also, fun story: When I lived in Germany '94 to '96, the U.S. car companies would have an auto-week at the U.S. military bases. They had all their cars on the bases available for test drives (and if you bought one, they would ship it to you in Germany for free, and then DOD would ship it back to the U.S. for you when you PCS'd back to CONUS). Anyway, I took out a V-10 Dodge Viper on the autobahn outside of Stuttgart and pegged that sucker - figured I was going at around 160-ish mph. Anyway, at the turn-around point, the salesman who was with me took the wheel for the way back so he could open it up too. Apparently he had not had the chance yet, since the previous folks he had done test drives with were not at all interested in pushing the car's limits. Unfortunately, the Viper was a hard-top convertible, and while the V-10 was plenty capable of sustaining those speeds, the roof was somewhat less well-engineered (or it wasn't proper latched or something), because we left it behind us after it was ripped off of the car at top speed. I'm pretty sure that dude's supervisors were not happy. And, no, I did not buy a Viper. I stuck with an old diesel Mercedes that a German friend that I grew up with in L.A. sold to me when I first got there.

              Comment


              • #22
                Originally posted by KUGDI View Post
                The people suck, their food sucks (bland as hell), the roads suck, the drivers suck, the taxes sucked, left hand exits everywhere, the weather sucks, Lyme disease, mosquitos, stupid laws, shitty shoreline, state is bankrupt, politicians are corrupt, there’s nothing to do in the state other than leave it, Gilmore Girls was based there, crime is horrible, racist as hell.

                If if I can think of anything else, I’ll let you know.
                Hey KUGDI, I just landed in Hartford and about to drive to New Haven. Any restaurant/bar recs? You seem to be a Connecticut aficionado.

                Comment


                • #23
                  In Hartford or New Haven?

                  Comment


                  • #24
                    Shocked to not see Texas on the list of worst, as Texas plates are all over Denver at this point, and all of them are fucking awful drivers.

                    Comment


                    • #25
                      Originally posted by RedEyedGhost View Post
                      Shocked to not see Texas on the list of worst, as Texas plates are all over Denver at this point, and all of them are fucking awful drivers.
                      I hope they legalize weed in texas soon so those assholes will move back.

                      Comment


                      • #26
                        Originally posted by KUGDI View Post
                        In Hartford or New Haven?
                        New Haven

                        Comment


                        • #27
                          Originally posted by Lurch22 View Post

                          New Haven
                          There is nothing good in New Haven or the rest of Connecticut. Get out as fast as you can.

                          Kidding. A lot of people like Frank Pepe’s pizza. Normally I’d send someone to get some lobster, but being from Maine that’s going to suck for you.

                          Your best east bets will probably be Italian like Adriana’s or find a hole in the wall Puerto Rican restaurant.

                          Pokemoto is very good and they have Dole Whip.

                          Again, the food in CT really is just bland.

                          Comment


                          • #28
                            Originally posted by KUGDI View Post

                            There is nothing good in New Haven or the rest of Connecticut. Get out as fast as you can.

                            Kidding. A lot of people like Frank Pepe’s pizza. Normally I’d send someone to get some lobster, but being from Maine that’s going to suck for you.

                            Your best east bets will probably be Italian like Adriana’s or find a hole in the wall Puerto Rican restaurant.

                            Pokemoto is very good and they have Dole Whip.

                            Again, the food in CT really is just bland.
                            I went to Frank Pepe’s the first time I was here (6 mo ago) to get their famous clam pizza. When I ordered it, they said they ran out of clams. I may try Adriana’s since I’m staying close to it.
                            Thanks!

                            Comment


                            • #29
                              Originally posted by Lurch22 View Post

                              I went to Frank Pepe’s the first time I was here (6 mo ago) to get their famous clam pizza. When I ordered it, they said they ran out of clams. I may try Adriana’s since I’m staying close to it.
                              Thanks!
                              I'm adding that to the list of reasons to hate CT. They run out of clams, and their stupid college basketball team makes me miss about half of the first half of KU basketball games.

                              Comment

                              Working...
                              X