You know who's a shitty person?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• You know who's a shitty person?

I think most people can agree on this, but Lena Dunham is a shitty person, in general

In November 2017, the Wrap broke the story that Perrineau filed a police report stating that Murray Miller, a writer and producer on Dunham’s HBO show “Girls,” had raped her in 2012, when she was 17 years old, and Miller was 35. In her statement, given while taking a polygraph, Perrineau said, “At some point, I woke up in Murray’s bed naked. He was on top of me having sexual intercourse with me. At no time did I consent to any sexual contact with Murray.”

Miller and his lawyers denied Perrineau’s accusation, claiming that Perrineau went to police only after she “sought substantial monetary damages” from Murray and was refused. A month later, Miller’s lawyers, claiming a “misunderstanding,” apologized and admitted that “neither Ms. Perrineau nor her attorney have ever made a demand for money.”

On the same day that the Wrap reported Perrineau’s accusations, Dunham and her co-show runner on “Girls,” Jenni Konner put out a statement in the Hollywood Reporter defending Murray and attempting to discredit Perrineau. “While our first instinct is to listen to every woman’s story, our insider knowledge of Murray’s situation makes us confident that sadly this accusation is one of the 3 percent of assault cases that are misreported every year,” they wrote, concluding, “We stand by Murray and this is all we’ll be saying about this issue.”

Dunham retracted the statement shortly after it was released, having fielded mass criticism calling out Dunham’s feminism as selective and accusing her of only defending white women (Perrineau is black). “I naively believed it was important to share my perspective on my friend’s situation as it has transpired behind the scenes over the last few months. I now understand that it was absolutely the wrong time to come forward with such a statement and I am so sorry,” Dunham wrote in a note, this time on her social media.

Dunham’s apology

Over a year after Dunham retracted her defense of Murray, she has written a longer-form essay apologizing to Perrineau directly, published in the Hollywood Reporter on Wednesday. “There are few acts I could ever regret more in this life,” she wrote. In a sentence tucked deep in a lengthy essay about the cultural climate, her role in Perrineau’s story, and her experiences with sexism and sexual assault, Dunham revealed this: “I didn’t have the ‘insider information’ I claimed but rather blind faith in a story that kept slipping and changing and revealed itself to mean nothing at all,” she wrote.

This is salient — Dunham did not just favor one person’s story over another, she also alluded to the public that she and Konner held secret information that would discredit Perrineau’s story. But Dunham says now that she had no such knowledge or evidence.

In the rest of the apology, Dunham writes extensively about her experiences with sexual trauma and being a woman in a climate of sexism and abuse. The construction of her apology is reminiscent of Kevin Spacey’s in October 2017, when he apologized to Anthony Rapp for assaulting him as a child and in the same statement came out as gay.

“I know I’m not alone when I say that this year has also been hell,” Dunham writes in her opening paragraph. It sure has. But an apology letter — for discrediting the report of an alleged rape victim — is a wild place to try to mine for sympathy.

She is pure trash. I have not, and will not, view any content she is associated with.

Comment

Really God-awful mistake. At the same time, the majority of people are kidding themselves if they think they wouldn't do the same. It's sad but true that most people can't believe their otherwise good and kind friends could do something like this and the first instinct is denial.

Comment

Originally posted by LARPHawk View Post
        Really God-awful mistake. At the same time, the majority of people are kidding themselves if they think they wouldn't do the same. It's sad but true that most people can't believe their otherwise good and kind friends could do something like this and the first instinct is denial.
        Or in Lena Dunham's case:

First instinct: Deny.
        Second instinct: Discredit.
        Third instinct: Find a way to make it about you.

Comment

Originally posted by NoPantsChico View Post

Or in Lena Dunham's case:

First instinct: Deny.
          Second instinct: Discredit.
          Third instinct: Find a way to make it about you.
          Yeah, she keeps fucking up and somehow still has a job

This was another one I recall:

“I was sitting next to Odell Beckham Jr., and it was so amazing because it was like he looked at me and he determined I was not the shape of a woman by his standards,” Ms. Dunham said in the interview, which was posted last Friday. “He was like: ‘That’s a marshmallow. That’s a child. That’s a dog.’ It wasn’t mean. He just seemed confused.”
          In Ms. Dunham’s imagination, the grid star’s “vibe” seemed to suggest he was thinking, “Do I want to have sex with it?” (she used an earthier term for “sex,” and yes, she said “it”).

Explosive stuff. The only problem was that Mr. Beckham had not, in fact, said any of it, nor had he even spoken to Ms. Dunham at the gala, as Ms. Dunham quickly clarified, explaining the comments as a failed attempt at humor.

Comment

I want to go on record as saying that Dunham is not the shape of a woman by my standards. She is a marshmallow. A dog. And I do not want to fuck it.

Comment

She's really a POS as humans go. I think she should be locked up in a mental ward, as she's completely fucknuts.

Comment

Originally posted by swidman View Post
                She's really a POS as humans go. I think she should be locked up in a mental ward, as she's completely fucknuts.
                She should share a cell with Harvey Weinstein.

Comment

I don't know who you hang out with, but I can't believe "the majority of people" would make up a lie about having inside knowledge of a rape accusation just because it happened to someone that they had a business relationship with (which is what it was, more than her "good and kind friend.") Maybe I'm naive, but I think most people are more honest than that. Whether or not you want to believe something is false, you don't make up false facts to clear someone's name.

Comment

To clarify, I didn't mean literally doing exactly what she did. You're filling in some blanks to say she made up a lie about it. That's not how it reads to me, but none of us were there, so who cares.

I know someone who was accused and prosecuted for a sexual assault who I believe is innocent, but I certainly keep my mouth shut about it as I wasn't there and can't know. If I were younger and/or less mature I could see the temptation to talk about it.

Anyway, it's impossible to have a reasonable discussion on any topic once Lena Dunham's name is invoked. To this day, I see her name in conservative media literally on a weekly basis. She's up there with Hillary and Ocasio-Cortez on the Mount Rushmore of conservative bogeymen.

Comment

To clarify, I didn't mean literally doing exactly what she did. You're filling in some blanks to say she made up a lie about it. That's not how it reads to me, but none of us were there, so who cares.

I know someone who was accused and prosecuted for a sexual assault who I believe is innocent, but I certainly keep my mouth shut about it as I wasn't there and can't know. If I were younger and/or less mature I could see the temptation to talk about it.

Anyway, it's impossible to have a reasonable discussion on any topic once Lena Dunham's name is invoked. To this day, I see her name in conservative media literally on a weekly basis. She's up there with Hillary and Ocasio-Cortez on the Mount Rushmore of conservative bogeymen.

She literally says she has "insider knowledge" of the situation. She later retracts that statement. That's not political.

Comment

Sounds pretty clear to me like she was duped into believing she did have insider knowledge and now feels like a cunt for falling for it. I'll readily admit it's open to interpretation what she means, and ultimately she was squarely in the wrong regardless.

Comment

Sounds pretty clear to me like she was duped into believing she did have insider knowledge and now feels like a cunt for falling for it. I'll readily admit it's open to interpretation what she means, and ultimately she was squarely in the wrong regardless.
                          Wait a minute.

You said most people would "do what she did" .... which obviously is to lie and say you know something you don't know. Then when I said I don't think most people would do that, you insinuated that I was being political by saying that most people wouldn't do that. Now you say that she was somehow duped into believing that she knew something that she didn't know. WTF does that even mean?

Are you just full of shit, tonight; or are you defending her because you're being political?

Comment

I don't think you're following me at all based on your post. In literally every case your interpretation of my words was not my meaning. Apologies for any lack of clarity on my part.

Comment

I am not a fan and I don't watch her show, but I am not sure I understand the outrage in this instance. She felt extremely close to Murray Miller and felt her friendship with him gave her extra knowledge about him. As LARP noted, most people are going to defend their close friends when an accusation seems out of place (but probably very few would lie). I think the whole scenario should serve as a warning to not think you know anyone as well as you actually do even if they're close to you. Imagine how many people thought Bill Cosby was a good guy and he turned out to be among the worst. Kirby Puckett was everyone's nicest guy in baseball recipient and he turned out to have be heavily abusive towards multiple women. Lena was dumb to be so quick to lie to defend Miller or to even defend him at all, sure. But she was right to apologize and I am sure the author tying her recent apology to Kevin Spacey's apology is an effort to bring hate to Lena (and it's working), but also drive viewership to her website ($$$). Kevin Spacey committed rape and Lena committed stupidity and these aren't even in the same ballpark. Puhleaze. She's writing an article in the Hollywood Reporter issue about women, and she admits that she is a, "chronic oversharer" but that's sort of the whole point of what she has done to make a living. Duh. That's also what will help drive viewers to her essay ($$$$). Sensationalism abounds (and sells).

But I am still not a fan of her. I just don't hate her because I ignore her . . . at least until she shows up here. ;-)

Comment

Working...
                              X