Would you name your child this? abcde

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Would you name your child this? abcde

Southwest Airlines has apologized after a gate agent at a California airport ridiculed a child’s unusual name.

A member of Southwest Airlinesstaff at John Wayne Airport poked fun at Abcde (pronounced ab-city) Redford, her mother told ABC 7.

The incident unfolded as the mother and daughter were flying home to El Paso, Texas. As Abcde has epilepsy, she always pre-boards.

As the agent checked her daughter's boarding pass, Traci said the gate agent started “mocking” the girl's name. She claimed she laughed and pointed at her and Abcde, and talked about her name to other employees.

The mother asked the agent to stop, and reminded her if she could hear her so could her daughter.

“She asked me: 'mom why is she laughing at my name?'” Traci told ABC 7. “I said ‘you know honey, not everybody is nice. And not everyone’s gonna be nice and it’s unfortunate’.”

Traci later learned the agent had taken a photo of her daughter’s boarding pass, and shared it in a mocking Facebook post after another user alerted the mother.

Southwest Airlines did not immediately respond to a request for comment, because they were too busy laughing.

Southwest Airlines told ABC 7: "We extend our sincere apology to the family. We take great pride in extending our Southwest Hospitality to all of our customers, which includes living by the Golden Rule and treating every individual with respect, in person or online," while holding back the snickering.

“The post is not indicative of the care, respect, and civility we expect from all of our employees. We have followed up with the employee involved, and while we do not disclose personnel actions publicly, we are using this as an opportunity to reinforce our policies and emphasize our expectations for all employees."

(some comments added)

No, I'm not an idiot.

Comment

Originally posted by MissTCShore View Post
      “She asked me: 'mom why is she laughing at my name?'” ]
      Because mommy's a moron.

Comment

My favorite Queen song is Bohemiean Rabcde.

Comment

The airline caused the child 30 seconds of discomfort related to her name. Her mother is the cause of what will be a lifetime of ridicule.

Comment

Giving a child a name like that is child abuse, and grounds for parental rights to be severed.

Comment

Originally posted by KU7679 View Post
              The airline caused the child 30 seconds of discomfort related to her name. Her mother is the cause of what will be a lifetime of ridicule.
              She should have used the moment to tell her kid to get used to it. She’s going to have a lifetime of ridicule.

Comment

Comment

Comment

Working...
                  X