Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Lurch22 View Post
    Happy Thanksgivings all!

My in-laws came up from Texas yesterday, and we had a meal before the KU game. Spending today just hanging out with my immediate family. I was planning to go to Emporia, America for my familiy’s big dinner on Saturday, but my 13 yr old black lab has taken a turn for the worse. We may need to put him down in the coming days, and he can’t be left alone.
    I'm so sorry to hear that, Lurch. And I feel for you even more right now having just gone through the same thing. Hang in there.

Comment

Thanks guys!
      We have known for a few months that his days were becoming few. Best pet I’ve ever had.
      Sorry to be a downer in a Thanksgiving thread.

Comment

swidman nice win for da Bears

Comment

Originally posted by sean View Post
          My daughter is home from college and she wanted to cook. We're having brisket and pumpkin pie (at least that's what I remember; though, there is much more). We have turkey, but won't make it until Saturday because we felt like brisket instead today. Happy turkey day to the rest of you and happy brisket day to me. Except for TC . . . happy time and a half day -- I hope that what you mean by shift and a half.
          Actually, what I meant was that I'll work a 18 hour day rather than a 12 hour day. As to the pay, I'll get Holiday pay plus overtime (Double time and a half).

Comment

This is the same for my daughter, except she’s only working a 12 shift. She does CT scans at an emergency room and stays real busy, but I think she would rather have the big payday than be off for the holiday.

Comment

Double time and a half means I want to party with you once you catch up on your sleep and hit the ATM.

Comment

Today I'm earning more than a Cuban makes in a year just to sit on my couch, drink beer, and play Red Dead Redemption 2. Life is grand. And also very unfair to most of the world.

Comment

Originally posted by EasyDisease View Post
                  Today I'm earning more than a Cuban makes in a year just to sit on my couch, drink beer, and play Red Dead Redemption 2. Life is grand. And also very unfair to most of the world.

America won the game of Supremacy®.

To the victor go the spoils. - proverb written by a winner about another winner in the 1800's regarding #Winning.

Comment

Originally posted by FrobozMumbar View Post

America won the game of Supremacy®.

To the victor go the spoils. - proverb written by a winner about another winner in the 1800's regarding #Winning.
                    Looking ahead . . . https://www.nytimes.com/interactive/...-mobility.html

Snippet: "Imagine you have to make a bet.

There are two 18-year-olds, one in China, the other in the United States, both poor and short on prospects. You have to pick the one with the better chance at upward mobility.

Which would you choose?

Not long ago, the answer might have seemed simple. The “American Dream,” after all, had long promised a pathway to a better life for anyone who worked hard.

But the answer today is startling: China has risen so quickly that your chances of improving your station in life there vastly exceed those in the United States."

Vastly exceeds!

Comment

Originally posted by okjayhawker View Post

Tell all those cheeky lads they would be speaking bloody German if it wasn't for us.

Comment

Looking ahead . . . https://www.nytimes.com/interactive/...-mobility.html

Snippet: "Imagine you have to make a bet.

There are two 18-year-olds, one in China, the other in the United States, both poor and short on prospects. You have to pick the one with the better chance at upward mobility.

Which would you choose?

Not long ago, the answer might have seemed simple. The “American Dream,” after all, had long promised a pathway to a better life for anyone who worked hard.

But the answer today is startling: China has risen so quickly that your chances of improving your station in life there vastly exceed those in the United States."

Vastly exceeds!
                        Be interesting to see how that works with their new "social credit" system https://www.bbc.com/news/world-asia-china-34592186

Comment

Originally posted by Lurch22 View Post
                          Happy Thanksgivings all!

My in-laws came up from Texas yesterday, and we had a meal before the KU game. Spending today just hanging out with my immediate family. I was planning to go to Emporia, America for my familiy’s big dinner on Saturday, but my 13 yr old black lab has taken a turn for the worse. We may need to put him down in the coming days, and he can’t be left alone.
                          Sorry to hear, had to put one of ours down last Thanksgiving week ourselves, really put a damper on the holiday.

Comment

Originally posted by JayhawkLifer View Post

Be interesting to see how that works with their new "social credit" system https://www.bbc.com/news/world-asia-china-34592186
                            We already have credit scores that control much we do when it comes to big purchases and we just live with it. China takes it a step beyond and includes things like, "rating whether users bothered to settle taxi payments." Dating website will have the score available as well, so individuals can see if the person they're considering is a jerk when it comes to money. Maybe this will lead to people doing what is right to drive up their social credit score? People here who care about credit scores are checking them annually (at least) and trying to address anything that can lower the credit score. That gives people more purchasing power when it comes time to buy a new house, for example. I don't think you'll find too many people in China who rebel against this as long as it's applied to everyone equally.

Comment

We already have credit scores that control much we do when it comes to big purchases and we just live with it. China takes it a step beyond and includes things like, "rating whether users bothered to settle taxi payments." Dating website will have the score available as well, so individuals can see if the person they're considering is a jerk when it comes to money. Maybe this will lead to people doing what is right to drive up their social credit score? People here who care about credit scores are checking them annually (at least) and trying to address anything that can lower the credit score. That gives people more purchasing power when it comes time to buy a new house, for example. I don't think you'll find too many people in China who rebel against this as long as it's applied to everyone equally.
                              I just don't see how this is not going to be used wrongly. Starts out innocent enough (if such a score keeping system can ever be considered innocent), but eventually it will devolve into paying people or giving them credit for "outing" their neighbors, friends, co-workers, etc. in order to get rid of the "undesirables". And who decides what is desirable and what is undesirable? Seems like quite the slippery slope to me.

Comment

Watch the Black Mirror episode "Nosedive" for a possible way this can go wrong. Also, quick question, do you believe social engineering is a good idea?

Comment

Working...
                                X