My son's ticket

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• My son's ticket

I mentioned in another thread that my son was erroneously given a ticket for failing to stop at a stop sign. We plan to contest the ticket. I just checked the website to obtain the trial date and it's Nov. 27. But the website is showing that the appearance time is 1:00 AM.

Should I call and get them to fix this or should we show up at 1 AM and document that we were there and the courthouse was locked with the lights out?

FUCK THE MAN!

Comment

How positive are you that he did indeed come to a full stop? Had a friend who spent a lot of time, effort and some money as he was in the same situation and felt strongly about it as well. Shows up to court and they play the video from the police cruiser showing him not quite coming to a full stop...an almost stop with a slow roll through. That was the end of that.

Comment

Seems odd that they would ticket someone who actually did come to a complete stop. My daughter got a ticket for the same thing and claimed to have stopped completely. I wrote it off as her exaggerating to cover her ass and paid the ticket.

Comment

I believe my son because he is a terribly cautious driver because he worries that an infraction will cause him not to get his full license after 6 month (must be infraction free). He's a good kid he pisses other drivers off because he is too cautious (and I've talked to him about how this is just about as bad as being careless -- plus, road rage is real). I show the intersection below. He followed a car and stopped at the stop sign. You can see the bus stop shelter on the left (just left of the black car -- the front of the bus is about where the black car is). A bus was stopped there when my son stopped. Some cars were zooming around the bus, so he couldn't see them coming from behind the stop sign. He edged up slowly and rolled into his right hand turn while watching for cars. He never saw the police officer until he was pulled over a block and a half later. I do want to request the dashcam footage from the police because I trust my son did stop. But it's also possible the police officer had the bus hiding the stop sign area and the officer simply saw my son edging out into the turn.

Screen Shot 2018-11-15 at 1.31.27 PM.png

Screen Shot 2018-11-15 at 12.30.11 PM (2).png

Comment

I believe your son, I’m just sure the judge will believe the officer. Sucks, but that is the way it is.

Comment

I think my son was more worried that we'd be disappointed in him if we believed the officer. If I take him to court and go through the process of pushing back then I suspect that my son will appreciate the value in being believed even if the judge and/or prosecutor isn't on board.

Comment

Originally posted by sean View Post
                But it's also possible the police officer had the bus hiding the stop sign area and the officer simply saw my son edging out into the turn.

I'm guessing that this is what happened in regards to his getting a ticket. Who knows, if explained in court, maybe they will correct the mistake.

Comment

Originally posted by sean View Post
                  I believe my son because he is a terribly cautious driver because he worries that an infraction will cause him not to get his full license after 6 month (must be infraction free). He's a good kid he pisses other drivers off because he is too cautious (and I've talked to him about how this is just about as bad as being careless -- plus, road rage is real). I show the intersection below. He followed a car and stopped at the stop sign. You can see the bus stop shelter on the left (just left of the black car -- the front of the bus is about where the black car is). A bus was stopped there when my son stopped. Some cars were zooming around the bus, so he couldn't see them coming from behind the stop sign. He edged up slowly and rolled into his right hand turn while watching for cars. He never saw the police officer until he was pulled over a block and a half later. I do want to request the dashcam footage from the police because I trust my son did stop. But it's also possible the police officer had the bus hiding the stop sign area and the officer simply saw my son edging out into the turn.

Screen Shot 2018-11-15 at 1.31.27 PM.png

Screen Shot 2018-11-15 at 12.30.11 PM (2).png
                  My youngest daughter (16) is just the same. She is so conservative and cautious behind the wheel, it’s a bad thing. She pisses off other drivers because she absolutely won’t go 1 mph over the speed limit. I appreciate that she is a rule follower, but hope it doesn’t get her in trouble. My oldest, not so much.

Comment

I fought a ticket in a somewhat similar situation when I was 16. Cop said I ran a res light even though it was red when I entered the intersection.

It ended up going to trial. I represented myself which was super fun and a little intimidating. During questioning the officer said he couldn’t be totally certain the light was red when I entered the intersection. I did probably another 10 minutes of questions after that, not realizing I’d already won with that answer.

I think it was a valuable experience for a kid.

Comment

Sean, have you visited with the da? I have only had 1 ticket since 01, it was a small speeding ticket in lajunta co. I called da and without even really asking she knocked it down to a tag light violation. I don’t know if it would help or not.

Comment

I will do that. I had a ticket about 12 years ago near the Detroit airport. where I sped up about 100' too soon when leaving the airport. I talked with DA and it was changed from speeding into a double parking ticket, so I will pursue that path with my son too. Thanks.

Comment

I like the idea of showing up at 1 A.M., personally . . .

Comment

Originally posted by GardArmighty View Post
                            FUCK THE MAN!
                            This is Gard's approach to dentistry as well

Comment

I'm a rebel.

Comment

Working...
                              X