Childhood misconceptions - Sports Edition

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Childhood misconceptions - Sports Edition

I think we've had a thread about things that we believed were true as a child that were misconceptions. I thought it might be interesting to see if others have had misconceptions about sports as a child that they now realize were pretty dumb.

For me:

I never watched football growing up, though my parents did at times.

So when I was in Middle School, I attended my first football games. There were some things that were really confusing to me. For example, whenever they announced a "first down" and started the count of downs over again, I just thought somebody got mixed up and nobody else noticed. Obviously, it didn't take me long to figure that one out.

Also, when the official called a penalty and said "Replay 2nd down!" I though the offense had to run the exact same play again, since they were "replaying" the down. It confused me for quite a while that they didn't always run the same play, although in Middle School there weren't too many plays being run, anyway. It was mostly just "Give the ball to the running back and let him run up the middle."

6 points for a touchdown always confused me as a kid. Why the hell six points? And what's up with the "extra point." Why not just make it seven points?

BASKETBALL:

It took me a long time to figure out the double dribble rule. I'm not sure why. Now, it seems pretty obvious, but as a kid, I didn't get it.

Of course when it comes to basketball, I'm still not sure I understand what is a foul and what is not; or what really defines traveling, especially when driving to the basket for a layup. That "one step" sometimes seems like 3 or four steps.

I was good in every sport I participated in as a child, so my misconception was mostly strongly believing that I could play in the NBA, MLB, NFL, and probably on the pro tennis circuit. I really should have just focused on the curling given hindsight.

Comment

I thought my T-ball coach saying "Two outs, run on anything" was a coaching strategy, not a situational fact.

Comment

I used to think white men could jump . . . at least until Wesley set me straight.

Comment

I always thought the Najdorf variation of the Sicilian Defense was the way to go, but I found out the hard way that Be7 refutes. Nowadays I just transpose over to the Scheveningen.

Comment

I remember thinking that Olympic ice skating was hard core

Comment

I still cannot figure out the rules of cricket.

Comment

Originally posted by Joe Norris View Post
                I remember thinking that Olympic ice skating was hard core
                It took me a long time to accept the fact that ANY sport in which you are "judged" rather than competing directly was a "real" sport. (Ice skating, diving, most gymnastics). It took me a long time to realize that the Judging is not 100% subjective, and that, while scores may vary a bit, there are some pretty strict rules for scoring these types of events.

Comment

I’ve never understood why in college football when attempting a field goal, the holder is allowed to have his knee down and not be down.

Comment

Originally posted by Hawker007 View Post
                    I’ve never understood why in college football when attempting a field goal, the holder is allowed to have his knee down and not be down.
                    This is an excellent point. I'd never thought about it. Now, it's going to drive me nuts every time I watch a football game.

Comment

Originally posted by MissTCShore View Post

This is an excellent point. I'd never thought about it. Now, it's going to drive me nuts every time I watch a football game.
                      Seems totally natural to me, as a legal practitioner.

Comment

Somewhat related, I suppose, but when I was growing up, used to attend many games at the old Yankee Stadium when the monuments (basically headstones for Ruth, Gehrig and Miller Huggins) were still on the playing field (deep, deep centerfield...462, I think it was, so they were rarely reached), my older brother told me the players/manager were buried there and I believed him.

Comment

Here are two from football and a rule clarification.

When I was a kid I thought I heard the announcers say it's second down and go to go. Which confused me, what did go to go mean? Finally I asked my dad and he said Goal to go. At that point he knew his son was not in danger of winning a Nobel prize.

Sophomore year in high school and I was put on the varsity as defensive end. I was very intimidated, even though my role was cannon fodder for the first team. Several of our defenses ended in with the word pronounced "reed/read." I actually was confused and thought they meant reed. Was this some technique I missed? I tired playing skinny, like a reed, and would line up as small as I could. As mentioned between intimidation and my role as cannon fodder I didn't get a whole lot of coaching and didn't ask questions.

Finally in a JV game I was flattened after doing the wrong thing, on a sweep, and one of the coaches laid into me. Something along the lines of it's a"reed/read" Why did you do blank? "You do know how to read a book don't you?" It suddenly came into focus I had the wrong word in my head. The right word was in the playbook. Everything suddenly made sense. Reading my keys made sense. "Counteraction in the backfield means stay home." Good thing I didn't tell my dad this one. I doubt he would have paid for most of my college. This was a life lesson. Ask questions when you don't understand things. Later on when I had people working for me that look confused I would ask them what can I do to clarify things.

The rules of football allow for the holder of a kick to have his knee down. Even if it is a fake. However once that knee leaves the ground regular rules apply.

Comment

Originally posted by LifestyleJayhawk View Post
                            The rules of football allow for the holder of a kick to have his knee down. Even if it is a fake. However once that knee leaves the ground regular rules apply.
                            This is still going to make my eye twitch when I see it.

Comment

Originally posted by MissTCShore View Post

This is still going to make my eye twitch when I see it.
                              Ya, it’s still goofy in my opinion.

Comment

Working...
                              X