Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Cost of all iPhones at Launch (with inflation)

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Cost of all iPhones at Launch (with inflation)

I'm a little skeptical of these numbers. Weren't the first few iPhones only available subsidized by a 2-year contract?

The latest prices are pretty wild. $749 for the budget phone, and $1k for the cheapest mainline phone.

Resale value is so good though that I'm not sure it's any cheaper to own Android phones.

Comment

Originally posted by LARPHawk View Post
      I'm a little skeptical of these numbers. Weren't the first few iPhones only available subsidized by a 2-year contract?

The latest prices are pretty wild. $749 for the budget phone, and $1k for the cheapest mainline phone.

Resale value is so good though that I'm not sure it's any cheaper to own Android phones.
      Regarding the first phones being only available subsidized, no, I bought mine outright under the impression I could unlock it....when that didn’t work as expected, I had to get an att plan

you may be remembering that they were originally only att

Comment

I think we're just missing each other on semantics. You had to have a 2-year contract to buy and use the phone. Thus it was subsidized, however indirectly.

Comment

I think we're just missing each other on semantics. You had to have a 2-year contract to buy and use the phone. Thus it was subsidized, however indirectly.
          I don't know about the first few; I think when I got my first iPhone, you had the option to buy it outright. That would have been an iPhone 3 maybe? Then, I think they went back to requiring you to have a 2 year contract by the time I bought my iPhone 6s. Have they gone back and forth on this?

Comment

Suckers

Comment

Originally posted by WolfShirtSophomore View Post
              Suckers
              Apple hater?

Comment

Nah, respectfully, as TCS mentioned, you could buy your phone outright. I bought mine for $600 and they almost immediately dropped the price to $400. I was within the two week return window, so I "returned" it and "bought it again" for $400. They gave everyone else $100 apple gift cards for their trouble.

Comment

Wiki's account lines up with my memory of it: The iPhone was released in the United States on June 29, 2007 at the price of $499 for the 4 GB model and $599 for the 8 GB model, both requiring a 2-year contract.

Comment

Wiki's account lines up with my memory of it: The iPhone was released in the United States on June 29, 2007 at the price of $499 for the 4 GB model and $599 for the 8 GB model, both requiring a 2-year contract.
                    I don't know what to tell wiki, I walked out of the store with a phone and no contract, cause the plan was to unlock it and put it on mobile

Comment

Originally posted by Joe Norris View Post

I don't know what to tell wiki, I walked out of the store with a phone and no contract, cause the plan was to unlock it and put it on mobile
                      But could you activate it with AT&T without signing up for a contract? And was it at launch? I don't know why I'm still discussing this honestly, but I guess I'm curious haha.

Comment

Working...
                      X