Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Move out of the US forever, would you do it?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

We go to Cozumel once or twice a year, I could see myself laying on the beach down there full time, but couldn't leave the grandkids. When I win the lottery, I will for sure at least have a winter home down there.

Comment

Originally posted by EasyDisease View Post

That's not that interesting/surprising, professor. No offense.
      Offense taken. We're now fighting. See what you've done? Honestly, linguistics programs do not have great enrollments, so I get that this is not fascinating for a large number of people. But to use TC's example, a person who only speaks Cantonese meets a person who only speaks Mandarin and they talk but will not understand each other. We don't really have that in English (which is why Dumbledore in Harry Potter can be loved by American kids). But the speakers of Cantonese and Mandarin can write what they're saying and fully understand each other. These people do not likely exists, because Mandarin is probably taught in schools even where people largely speak Cantonese. I find it fascinating, but I don't expect anyone else to be intrigued by this.

Comment

Originally posted by sean View Post

Offense taken. We're now fighting. See what you've done? Honestly, linguistics programs do not have great enrollments, so I get that this is not fascinating for a large number of people. But to use TC's example, a person who only speaks Cantonese meets a person who only speaks Mandarin and they talk but will not understand each other. We don't really have that in English (which is why Dumbledore in Harry Potter can be loved by American kids). But the speakers of Cantonese and Mandarin can write what they're saying and fully understand each other. These people do not likely exists, because Mandarin is probably taught in schools even where people largely speak Cantonese. I find it fascinating, but I don't expect anyone else to be intrigued by this.
        No, I'm very into linguistics. I'm just saying that phenomenon is not novel at all.

Comment

It's certainly novel to ignoramouses like me. You're into linguistics so you're unqualified to speak for normal people.

Comment

Working...
          X