[Serious] Weight Loss/Workout Commitment Thread

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• [Serious] Weight Loss/Workout Commitment Thread

I mentioned in the "Rate the Wheat" thread I liked the ongoing threads, which is what I envision here

As everyone knows (I swear I'm not an attention whore, I'm just happy about it), I've been off the sauce for about 6 months and have seen some great improvements

I was at the doctor for the first time since March and found out I'm down from 275 to 227 and my BP is down from 180/120 to 134/88....still lots of work to do in both areas, but that was some good motivation to set some goals now that I've seen some results

I don't work out a ton, but I have changed my diet significantly....I'd like to start working out more, eating out (yeah yeah) less....my goal is to be 200 by Jan 1...I can't really set BP goals, cause of some genetic issues, but I have to imagine it will continue to improve as well

Good on you man.

This is my current workout, though workout 4 rarely gets done due to time constraints and I do a generic legs day on the weekend, squats, deadlifts, and calf raises. Great thing about this workout is you can start with pretty light dumbbells and progress up in weight as your body adjusts. (Use the pullup assist machine, no shame there. I had to when I first started in on weights in college) I'd suggest just workouts 1 & 2 to start, and a legs day if you can get a trainer to work on your form.

Workout 1 Workout 2
    Order Exercise Sets/Reps Reps Rest Order Exercise Sets/Reps Reps Rest
    1A Flat Dumbbell Press 2 9-10 - 1A Dumbbell Shoulder Press 2 10 -
    1B Dumbbell Row 2 9-10 - 1B Overhand Pullup 2 Fail -
    1C Dumbbell flye 2 12-15 1 min. 1C Side Raises 2 15 1 min.
    2A Incline Dumbbell press 2 9-10 - 2A Underhand Pullup 2 Fail -
    2B Reverse-Grip Barbell row 2 9-10 - 2B Half Arnold's 2 9-10 -
    2C Push-ups* 2 Fail 1 min. 2C Straight-arm pulldown 2 9-10 1 min.
    3A Neutral Row 2 9-10 - 3A Barbell shrug 2 9-10 -
    3B Slight Incline Press 2 9-10 - 3B Neurtral Pullup 2 Fail 1 min.
    3C Bent-over DB lateral raise 2 9-10 1 min. 3C Dumbell Shrug 2 9-10
    4A Close-grip bench press 1 9-10 - 4A Dumbbell upright row 2 9-10 -
    4B Lying triceps extension 1 9-10 1 min. 4B Front Raises 2 9-10 1 min.
    5A Hammer Curls 1 9-10 - 5A Prone incline dumbbell curl 2 9-10 -
    5B Iso Curls 1 9-10 1 min. 5B Dumbbell incline curl 2 9-10 1 min.
    6 Dead Landmine* 2 10/S - 6A Barbell wrist curl 2 9-10 -
    6B Barbell reverse wrist curls 2 9-10 1 min.
    7 Core Work 2 - -
    Workout 4
    Workout 3 Order Exercise Sets/Reps Reps Rest
    Order Exercise Sets/Reps Reps Rest 1A Over hand pull up 2 Fail -
    1A Incline bench press 2 8 - 1B Under Hand Pull Up 2 Fail -
    1B Incline dumbbell flye 2 8 90 sec 1C Neutral Pull Up 2 Fail 1 min.
    2A Low cable crossover 2 8 - 2A Standing pulldown 2 9-10 -
    2B Cable crossover 2 8 90 sec 2B Smith machine behind-the-back shrug 2 9-10 -
    3A Smith machine shoulder press 2 8 - 2C Smith machine shrug 2 12-15 1 min.
    3B upright row 2 8 90 sec 3A EZ-Bar curl 3 9-10 -
    4A Cable rear delt flye 2 8 - 3B EZ-bar preacher curl 3 12-15 1 min.
    4B Cable lateral raise 2 8 90 sec 4A Dumbbell incline curl 2 12-15 -
    5A Lying triceps extension 2 8 - 4B Standing dumbbell alternating curl 2/9-10 2 9-10 1 min.
    5B Bench dip 2 8 90 sec 5A Dumbbell revere wrist curl 2 9-10 -
    6A Reverse-grip triceps pressdown 2 12 - 5B Dumbbell wrist curl 2 12-15 1 min.
    6B Triceps pressdown 2 10 90 sec 6 Core Work 2 - -
    7 Core Work 2 - -

Comment

Thanks for the input, I will check it out...does fail mean you do it til you can't?

In college one summer I was bored and got in really good shape, started with half a mile jog, 15 situps, 10 pushups and 1 pullup

got to a sub 21 minute 5K (best I'll ever do, I hate running), don't remember where the situps and pushups got to, and could rip off 8 sets of 25 pullups in a sitting (worked out with a marine, probably should have been able to do more)

I was 170 at that point....then I got a real job and got up to 275 in the past 12 years as mentioned above....I don't know that I"ll ever try to get back down to 170, don't know if I care that much, but it makes me sad to think how far I am from that, haha

It was nice working 12-5 and getting to work out whenever I wanted

Comment

Yep, fail means go until you simply can't do another.

I think I only ever got to a 25 minute 5K, weighed around 209 at the time. Running definitely isn't my thing. I'm currently doing workout 1 above with 110 lb dumbbells and the incline on workout 3 with 120 lb dumbbells. The Y here goes up to 130's and I'm hoping to build up to them by Thanksgiving.

Heaviest I ever got was 257. Granted I could do ten pullups with 50 lbs of plates hanging off me, but I also had to wear 40" waist pants. Been right around 235 recently with 36" waist pants. Chest is right at 50".
        Last edited by RaiderHawk; 09-26-18, 04:10 PM.

Comment

I have been trying to gain weight my entire life. I weighed 140 when I graduated from high school. I weighed 142 when I graduated from college. 8 years later, I was up to 145 when I started as a professor in 2000*. Now I am 148 19+ years later. I'd like to get to 153 to feel I am at an optimal weight.

*I should point out, I did get to 150 shortly after college when I hit the weights for a year and was doing a bazillion push-ups and sit-ups, etc. (and my weight routine was basic; not anything like what Raider is showing above). Unfortunately, I slowly regressed when I got married and 3 years later I was back to 145 in 2000.

Comment

I was on the hefty side pretty much from puberty on. Dad passed away unexpectedly from a heart attack in 2012 and wasn't a particularly big guy, so that was my wake-up call. I cut out soda and most processed sugars and joined a gym and dropped 50 lbs. in about 4 months and have hovered around there ever since. I don't get bored doing cardio, but I struggle to stick with weights routines for longer than a few weeks, so that's my next hurdle.

Comment

Originally posted by NoPantsChico View Post
              I was on the hefty side pretty much from puberty on. Dad passed away unexpectedly from a heart attack in 2012 and wasn't a particularly big guy, so that was my wake-up call. I cut out soda and most processed sugars and joined a gym and dropped 50 lbs. in about 4 months and have hovered around there ever since. I don't get bored doing cardio, but I struggle to stick with weights routines for longer than a few weeks, so that's my next hurdle.
              Sorry to hear about your dad, that’s tough

i don’t get bored with cardio, I just hate doing it

i want to work out outside of work, but I’m trying to walk three miles a day at work....a mile morning, lunch, afternoon....nice way to break up the day, and when the weather is nice, I can get a mile/fifteen minute clip

Comment

Six Months....maybe I am an attention whore....or I'm just proud of it......

Comment

You got pipes for radio, and a face for newspaper.

Its true

Comment

Originally posted by okjayhawker View Post
                    You got pipes for radio, and a face for newspaper.

Its true
                    *blush* haha

we need a WtW podcast Where you and I talk about KU football, I’ll be the negative one

Comment

Not posting this cause I’m proud of these numbers, but hoping to see some improvements documented in this thread...accountability and all that

Comment

This is the scale I bought, has good reviews

on sale for like $22, so I went for it...got a bp cuff as well

Comment

Originally posted by sean View Post
                          I have been trying to gain weight my entire life. I weighed 140 when I graduated from high school. I weighed 142 when I graduated from college. 8 years later, I was up to 145 when I started as a professor in 2000*. Now I am 148 19+ years later. I'd like to get to 153 to feel I am at an optimal weight.

*I should point out, I did get to 150 shortly after college when I hit the weights for a year and was doing a bazillion push-ups and sit-ups, etc. (and my weight routine was basic; not anything like what Raider is showing above). Unfortunately, I slowly regressed when I got married and 3 years later I was back to 145 in 2000.
                          If you do the routine I posted above, and eat enough to fit the routine, I would just about guarantee a 10lb muscle gain in 6 months. Have a buddy who was right at 160 when he and I started lifting together, and he was in the mid 190's in three years with a six pack doing a similar workout.

Comment

Went out hiking at Shawnee Mission Park yesterday, didn’t even know it existed...had some really nice views...I’ll be spending a lot more time out there

Comment

I like my new blood pressure monitor, my only complaint is that it doesn’t sync with the Apple health app

does anyone have a BP monitor that is Bluetooth and that they like?

Comment

Working...
                              X