Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Cigars

Teach me about them

I'm a VERY casual smoker, talking like 10-20 cigars a year or less, but when I do, I'd like to do it somewhat right.

I'm lost in a humidor, and I end up picking something dark and long (hey-ooooooooo)...I'd like to come off as somewhat knowledgeable when shopping....

Talk to me about price ranges, brands, etc

I'm also not loaded, so I'm not gonna generally smoke something SUPER high end, but I wouldn't mind hearing about it, just in case

Rumor has it that you have to remove the cigar band before you light it if you don't want to look like an asshole. That's about all I've got.

Comment

Padrons are my go to on the rare occasion I smoke them anymore.

Comment

I love the smell and taste of them, but I don't like smelling like one or tasting an ashtray for the next 48 hours.

As a half-joke, I bought a pipe and some decent tabacky, and it is great. I only smoke about 4 times a year, but it's very nice and I don't have the aftertaste.

Of course, like Frobie alluded to, if I did that in public, I'd look like a pretentious asshole.

Comment

You're asking the wrong people- the people you want to ask are those who work at the store where you buy cigars. What you want to know is what kind of smoke you want; and darker smokes, like the ones you refer to, are heavy bodied smokes. There are many levels of smoke from ultra light to dark heavy bodied cigars. Then you want to the shape, which will determine how long you'll be puffing on that thing- it's a personal preference on size/shape (man, it's tough to do this without sexual innuendos..), but think about the fit in your mouth and how long you want to be sucking on it (holy shit! that just happened). Then once you have those down, you're looking at various flavors which you'll only peg down after trying several different brands. And once you have a brand, body, and size that works for you, I wouldn't change too often but to occasionally experience something new. Find your base and then branch out some from there- but always have your go-to cigar.

Comment

Originally posted by soapboxstew View Post
            You're asking the wrong people- the people you want to ask are those who work at the store where you buy cigars. What you want to know is what kind of smoke you want; and darker smokes, like the ones you refer to, are heavy bodied smokes. There are many levels of smoke from ultra light to dark heavy bodied cigars. Then you want to the shape, which will determine how long you'll be puffing on that thing- it's a personal preference on size/shape (man, it's tough to do this without sexual innuendos..), but think about the fit in your mouth and how long you want to be sucking on it (holy shit! that just happened). Then once you have those down, you're looking at various flavors which you'll only peg down after trying several different brands. And once you have a brand, body, and size that works for you, I wouldn't change too often but to occasionally experience something new. Find your base and then branch out some from there- but always have your go-to cigar.

Comment

This is good information, I appreciate it...I guess my goal was to avoid going in there looking like a deer in headlights....I've smoke cohibas the last couple times and enjoyed them, but I only picked em cause I recognized the name

I don't want to walk in there and ask for something like a black and mild, you know

Comment

Originally posted by GardArmighty View Post
                I love the smell and taste of them, but I don't like smelling like one or tasting an ashtray for the next 48 hours.

As a half-joke, I bought a pipe and some decent tabacky, and it is great. I only smoke about 4 times a year, but it's very nice and I don't have the aftertaste.

Of course, like Frobie alluded to, if I did that in public, I'd look like a pretentious asshole.
                I thought you WERE a pretentious asshole.

Comment

Everything I know about Cigars:

1. Good ones come from Cuba.
                  2. They stink.

Comment

Originally posted by MissTCShore View Post
                    Everything I know about Cigars:

1. Good ones come from Cuba.
                    2. They stink.
                    Hey, some of us prefer to smell like the inside of a bonfire.

Comment

Originally posted by MissTCShore View Post

I thought you WERE a pretentious asshole.
                      I am one, but I try to not look like one. Big difference.

Comment

Ms TC, have you ever noticed how guys' favorite things (sports, cigars, booze, etc) all are just wrought with sexual innuendos?

Comment

Ms TC, have you ever noticed how guys' favorite things (sports, cigars, booze, etc) all are just wrought with sexual innuendos?
                          My favorite thing is sex, so does that count as being wrought with sexual innuendo?

Comment

Originally posted by FrobozMumbar View Post

My favorite thing is sex, so does that count as being wrought with sexual innuendo?
                            Jan Levinson-Gould: Sports metaphors are one of the ways women feel left out of the language of the office. Now, I know this might sound silly, but many women ask to go over it. So, fumble means…

Phyllis: Mistake.

Meredith: Slip.

Jan Levinson-Gould: Right. Par for the course is a golf term. It means right on track. Uh, below par means worse. Wait, that should mean better. That doesn’t make sense.

Kelly Kapoor: What about second base? Like, if Michael said he got to second base with you? Does that mean you, like, closed a deal?

Jan Levinson-Gould: Excuse me?

Kelly Kapoor: I mean, that’s a baseball term, right?

Jan Levinson-Gould: I don’t know what… Michael was… talking about, I don’t know.

Kelly Kapoor: [turns to the camera and winks]

Comment

I prefer my cigs Lewinski style.

Comment

Working...
                              X