Movies - Upcoming or Otherwise

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by an()maly View Post
    "Bandersnatch" is probably the best original production I've seen on Netflix. PHENOMENALLY creative. It's a kind of video game, in actuality, and I have played it twice. As with PC games, I improved immensely on second play through. I also once created a tiny one track version of this.

Do NotNOTnot spoil it for yourself by reading anything about it. Just ""play"" it.
    As the counterpoint: DO NOT spoil yourself by watching it. Utterly boring characters, boring "decisions," boring plot, utter waste of my time. It was all so stunningly simple that I think it was Black Mirror going ultra meta to see how often they could get people to go back for another helping of their shit sandwich. Copying the format of shitty books from the 80's is not phenomenally creative just because it's a different medium. I award it zero stars.

Comment

• 2CBE3B3F-5D7D-496A-967E-2103A00E85BB.jpeg

Comment

"Bandersnatch" is probably the best original production I've seen on Netflix. PHENOMENALLY creative. It's a kind of video game, in actuality, and I have played it twice. As with PC games, I improved immensely on second play through. I also once created a tiny one track version of this.

Do NotNOTnot spoil it for yourself by reading anything about it. Just ""play"" it.
        I really enjoyed it too and look forward to seeing other the other tracks.

Comment

• Originally posted by RedEyedGhost View Post

As the counterpoint: DO NOT spoil yourself by watching it. Utterly boring characters, boring "decisions," boring plot, utter waste of my time. It was all so stunningly simple that I think it was Black Mirror going ultra meta to see how often they could get people to go back for another helping of their shit sandwich. Copying the format of shitty books from the 80's is not phenomenally creative just because it's a different medium. I award it zero stars.
          "I'm sorry Frank, I think you've missed it." <-{stray quote} Different films have different qualities and if you were missing so much that this seemed simple you're in the wrong reality. This thing plays with ideas of delusions of choice, fate, evil, chaos, and repercussions of actions that actually go all the way back to Calvinist notions of sin and predestination, and track through similar themes in Kubrick's "The Shining" (Jack/Grady, Danny and Tony/the Grady girls), but I digress... in the maze (PAC man like)... I'm not saying it's high art of that sort, but this is exceedingly interesting, and could signal a new direction for film, gaming, gamifilms?

anyway...

SPOILERY TIMELINES AHEAD...

Your results may vary is automatic to gaming, fun quotient likewise, and if you did not get a five star review or get to adjust events with Colin's adult daughter in present day your did not have the fun results I had, without a doubt.

Comment

• Comment

"I'm sorry Frank, I think you've missed it." <-{stray quote} Different films have different qualities and if you were missing so much that this seemed simple you're in the wrong reality. This thing plays with ideas of delusions of choice, fate, evil, chaos, and repercussions of actions that actually go all the way back to Calvinist notions of sin and predestination, and track through similar themes in Kubrick's "The Shining" (Jack/Grady, Danny and Tony/the Grady girls), but I digress... in the maze (PAC man like)... I'm not saying it's high art of that sort, but this is exceedingly interesting, and could signal a new direction for film, gaming, gamifilms?
              Yes, it's all very meta, you think you're playing the movie, and I think the movie is playing you. I spent like two hours fiddling with it, and felt like I only got about ten pages of story or half an episode of The Outer Limits. I did feel like PAC-MAN as I was trying to get out of that shitty loop, same as those shitty choose your own adventure books that were popular when I was a kid. They both feel like they're just cheap ways to pad out the movie's time or the books' page count because they know the story won't hold up on its own.

I look forward to the data "leak" of how much time certain accounts spent "exploring" this, and seeing how they incorporate that into a future episode of Black Mirror.

Comment

anyway...

SPOILERY TIMELINES AHEAD...

Your results may vary is automatic to gaming, fun quotient likewise, and if you did not get a five star review or get to adjust events with Colin's adult daughter in present day your did not have the fun results I had, without a doubt.
                I don't think it's that innovative. I remember there being a bunch of board games in the late 80's/early 90's where you'd make a decision and then played part of a VHS to find out what happened next. Maybe there's a bit of a niche for this kind of movie, but I don't think it represents a sea change or anything.

Comment

• Originally posted by NoPantsChico View Post
                  God that's exactly how I was!!

Comment

• MIB International looks like it could be fun. Tessa Thompson has killed it in just about everything she’s been in over the last couple years.

Comment

• Watched "The Invitation" on Netflix last night. Really tense, slow-burn psychological thriller from a few years ago. The movie takes place almost entirely in one couple's house, so there's an element of claustrophobia/captivity to the direction. Trailer below.

Comment

Working...
                      X