Movies - Upcoming or Otherwise

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Saw Two Popes and Once Upon A Time...

I liked OUAT, but I didn’t love it. I’m not super into Tarantino though, so that’s not a surprise.

Two Popes was easily my favorite best picture nominee so far. Two Popes spoilers below.

SPOILERMy only gripe is how often one pope tells the other pope something he’d obviously know already. Always comes off like lazy exposition, but it was probably hard to get around it for this movie. I was also disappointed to find out that almost none of it actually happened, e.g. apparently the entire meeting the movie centers on never happened.

Comment

• The Two Popes seemed more like the spirit rather than the letter of the current and former Pontiffs. In that regard, I think it captured the dynamic accurately, albeit the specific details were given to creative license.

Comment

• Originally posted by LARPHawk View Post
        Saw Two Popes and Once Upon A Time...

I liked OUAT, but I didn’t love it. I’m not super into Tarantino though, so that’s not a surprise.

Two Popes was easily my favorite best picture nominee so far. Two Popes spoilers below.

SPOILERMy only gripe is how often one pope tells the other pope something he’d obviously know already. Always comes off like lazy exposition, but it was probably hard to get around it for this movie. I was also disappointed to find out that almost none of it actually happened, e.g. apparently the entire meeting the movie centers on never happened.

Does this movie hold any value for someone like me who absolutely HATES the Catholic church and would like to see the entire clergy from the Pope on down drug out to the town square, tied to a stake, and set on fire?

Edit to add: I'm not trying to be divisive here, or start any great debate, I'm actually interested in the content itself and if the subject matter crosses over into something that someone like me would still enjoy despite my personal feelings towards the church. For instance, "The New Pope" on HBO looks appealing to me, though I have yet to start watching it (if it's even available yet).
        Last edited by FrobozMumbar; 4 weeks ago.

Comment

• This is a good Actor's Roundtable

Comment

• Originally posted by Joe Norris View Post

I'd be interested to hear your take if you do. I started a thread on phog and the feeling is pretty mixed about love/hating it

I like movies that make me feel things, and this one certainly did that
            I liked Midsomer, but it was almost too much of a weird thing . . .

Comment

• Finally watched "Once Upon a Time in...Hollywood" the other night. I deliberately stayed away from anything related to it so I had ZERO idea about the story other than the basic setting, the actors and the time it was supposed to take place. Needless to say, I was NOT expecting it to play out how it did. I found the whole thing to be very funny and entertaining, with several laugh out loud scenes, but the end...Jesus...I laughed so hard that my abs were sore for 2 days.

Comment

• Watched the Irishman last night. Felt like the 2020 election in that I was just begging to see anyone under 75 years old.

I honestly kind of tuned out the second half. It didn't seem bad, it just didn't grab my interest. My gf who paid more attention said it was like Forrest Gump for the mafia.

Comment

Watched the Irishman last night. Felt like the 2020 election in that I was just begging to see anyone under 75 years old.

I honestly kind of tuned out the second half. It didn't seem bad, it just didn't grab my interest. My gf who paid more attention said it was like Forrest Gump for the mafia.
                  I'm going to watch The Expendables in a while new light if I ever watch it again lol

Comment

Watched the Irishman last night. Felt like the 2020 election in that I was just begging to see anyone under 75 years old.

I thought it was a little hokey in the "Forrest Gump" sense--which metaphor I feel is a perfect description. I too tuned out during the second half the first time I watched it, but I ended up rewatching the last 2 hours, and it was alright. I like the genre. I suppose there's something poignant about the contrast between his brutality in his profession and his love for his daughter in his personal life, and the schism that double life causes. Good, not great.

Comment

• I tend to avoid movies when the comments section contains phrases like “in the last 2 hours.”

Comment

• Originally posted by FrobozMumbar View Post
                        I tend to avoid movies when the comments section contains phrases like “in the last 2 hours.”
                        Seconded.

Comment

• I didn't like The Irishman at all, it was at least an hour and a half too long. Although, septuagenarian Robert De Niro "fighting" was pretty hilarious.

Comment

• I watched the first 20 minutes and gave up on it.

Comment

• Saw all but two of the best picture nominees, so I figured I’d post my rankings. Planning to watch JoJo Rabbit soon. I’m in no rush to see 1917.

In writing this down I realized The Two Popes wasn’t nominated. Really thought it was this whole time. I’m leaving it in.
                              1. Parasite - new, fresh, fun, weird, etc. Easy favorite.
                              2. The Two Popes - really great writing
                              3. Marriage Story - great/writing/directing, but hard to watch
                              4. Little Women - I have a hard time with period stuff but it’s really good otherwise. Very cool writing.
                              5. Once upon a Time in Hollywood - fine (shrug)
                              6. Joker - covered extensively already
                              7. Ford v Ferrari - cheesefest
                              8. The Irishman - probably not *that* bad, but I was too bored to find out

Comment

• JoJo was great, want to see Parasite.

Comment

Working...
                                X