Movies - Upcoming or Otherwise

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Movies - Upcoming or Otherwise

I've mentioned in another thread or two that I've got the A List sub that is currently putting Moviepass out of business (that and their management)

I don't like to pay to go to see a bunch of movies, but I love seeing movies in the theater, A List has been great for me and will continue to be great until they jack the price up or put in tiers or whatever they inevitably do

That said, what movies are you looking forward to this fall?

Right now, my top two coming up are The Nun and Predator...no idea if either one will be good, but The Nun is part of the Conjuring series and the trailer even had a jumpscare that got me....Predator is predator

If you're thinking about paying to see Mile 22, don't....it's what you think it is and not worth the money...if you've got A List get after it...Lauren Cohan is hot...Ronda Rousey continues to be awful

Sorry to Bother You was my favorite movie in at least the last several years, although it's not for everyone. Seeing it pretty fresh off of reading Sapiens and Homo Deus really made it better. It's too weird for some people, although my stance is the "weird" stuff isn't weird at all. Don't want to say too much about it.

Eighth Grade was also great imo. If you don't like a slow-moving film with no plot then you'll hate it, but I found it really immersive.

Blackkklansman was great (co-written by KU's Kevin Willmott). I don't think many on this board would like it frankly. It's "not here to make friends", if you will.

I finally gave up on MoviePass last week. A-List is a good deal, but I rarely find myself at an AMC theater unfortunately. I used to only go to maybe 8 movies/year. Will probably just go back to that. In NY I buy tickets for the nearby Regal theater online for $8-9 (they go for like $14-16 at the theater).

Comment

• Joe Norris
      Joe Norris commented
      Editing a comment
      I actually want to see all three that you mentioned, and, upon viewing Mile 22, I wished I had picked Blackkklansman for my saturday viewing

Yeah, I've got two AMCs with Dolby and IMAX theaters <15 mins from me, so it was a nobrainer

• sean
      sean commented
      Editing a comment
      "Blackkklansman was great (co-written by KU's Kevin Willmott)."

Or, as I say, "co-written by Junction City native, Kevin Willmott."

I second the nomination for Eighth Grade. A surprisingly good job by Bo in his directorial debut. The lead actress is captivating.

BlacKkKlansman: Mixed bag. Good beginning. Good ending (to the story-in-chief. Didn't like the coda.). Dragged a bit in the middle. I actually think most on *this* board would enjoy it (not so much the Phog). I felt it could have been much better if the political allegory/satire was more subtle. It was a bit too on-the-nose for my tastes, but I guess some people need that sort of hand-holding.

Comment

• LARPHawk
      LARPHawk commented
      Editing a comment
      I see. I believe whatever idea meets the current needs of the people and the economy will win; the ideas are fit to the needs, not the needs to the ideas. I don't think racism rises or falls on higher-minded ideals, though I'd like to believe that. As I understand it, racism in the particular form we know it today wasn't really a thing until the slave trade became economically valuable. We didn't enslave people because we were racist, we were racist because otherwise it's hard to tolerate enslaving people.

• EasyDisease
      EasyDisease commented
      Editing a comment
      The story of American slavery is but one chapter in the history of racism in civilization. But your broader economic point is one that has some merit. See, for example, Derrick Bell and his interest convergence theory.

• LARPHawk
      LARPHawk commented
      Editing a comment
      This is a great example of when the comment system is useful. Look how relatively little we've derailed this thread haha. I'll have to look into interest convergence. First I'm hearing of it. Thanks.

Summertime it's hard for me to get a lot of movies watched (don't go to the theater, watch at home). I am looking forward to watching Sorry to Bother You, Black Klansman and also Bohemian Rhapsody. To satiate my dark humor, I have Sisters Brothers on my Netflix list as well as Deadpool 2. (like I said, I am behind with the movie watching). There is a movie coming out next year starring Robert De Niro that I want to see called The Irishman. I know there a lot more, but those are ones off of the top of my head.

Comment

Has anyone seen the new Kevin Spacey flick Billionaire Boys Club? If you answer in the affirmative you are lying, as the film took in an amazing $126 on its opening day. Not $126M or $126k but $126

Comment

• Joe Norris
        Joe Norris commented
        Editing a comment
        haha, I saw it took in like $425 over the weekend and showed in 8 theaters

• KUGDI
        KUGDI commented
        Editing a comment
        It’s the ultimate hipster movie.

I have a few on my radar:
      Mission Impossible (yes I know it’s out now)
      Sorry To Bother You
      Black Klansman (enjoyed the book, though it wasn’t very well-written)
      Eighth Grade
      Operation Finale
      Bad Times At the El Royale
      Bohemian Rhapsody

Comment

Anyone got a read on Overlord? JJ Abrams meets Wolfenstein, maybe?

Comment

My sister is in town and wanted to see Crazy Rich Asians so we went yesterday. It definitely isn't the type of movie I'd go see by myself (RomCom/Chick Flick), but I was definitely entertained for the full two hours or whatever

Problem with those movies is you're just waiting for the rift to occur and you can't "enjoy" anything prior to it happening...or at least I can't

I'd definitely recommend it for a date or something like that

Also, I don't think I could go to Singapore without being rich, now....they did some Crazy Ass Rich Stuff

Comment

Just saw the new Mission Impossible (Fallout), Saturday. I was unexpectedly pleased. I think it's better than most of the other MI movies.

Comment

Not new, but I watched "Drag Me To Hell" for the first time last night. Just a perfect, campy horror movie that toes the delicate line between scary and hilarious.

Comment

Originally posted by EasyDisease View Post
                Not new, but I watched "Drag Me To Hell" for the first time last night. Just a perfect, campy horror movie that toes the delicate line between scary and hilarious.
                One of my favorite horror films, I loved that one, in spite of justin long

The way it starts out at the bank/parking garage is great

Comment

I'm at a point in my life that I pretty much only pay attention to what kids' movies are coming out that look pretty good. Sad, I know.

I did see Christopher Robin recently, was pretty good. I'm looking forward to Small Foot...looks pretty good.

Ok, you can get back to adult conversation now.

Comment

I watched Purge Election Year over the weekend. I liked the original and the sequel was fine enough, but the third one was awful. Story is meh, no twists to speak of, underwhelming visuals and the few fight scenes were really weak. Good on the studio for getting 12x the return on their budget, though.

Comment

Kirk Cameron's Saving Christmas has a 0 rating on Rotten Tomatoes with an average reviewer rating of 1.7 out of 10 and a 1.5 out of 10 on imdb The film has the captivating plot of Kirk being at a Christmas party at his sister's house but his brother-in-law has a humbug attitude about Christmas, thinking that it has become over commercialized. It is up to Kirk to convince him that Christ is in everything associated with Christmas. Here are some highlights of the reviews

Had "Saving Christmas" run any longer, Cameron would no doubt have found a way to find the divinity in Frosty, Rudolph, the Grinch, peppermint bark, the Elf on the Shelf, frosted cranberry hand soap and Mr. Hanky the Christmas Poo.
                      s
                      Perhaps the only Christmas movie I can think of, especially of the religious-themed variety, that seems to flat-out endorse materialism, greed and outright gluttony.
                      With a smile so wide and laughter that sounds so forced you half-expect the camera to pull back to reveal hostage takers, Mr. Cameron explains how several facets of the holiday - the tree, Santa Claus, gifts - have roots in religious tradition.
                      Hot cocoa is referenced no fewer than nine times. Cameron talks about the drink as though it were the trump card of his entire argument, as though dropping a microphone. "And COCOA!"
                      So yeah, it’s like that. And it’s like that over and over and over again, whether it’s Cameron describing Saint Nicholas as some kind of wrestling champ defending the idea of Jesus’ divinity, or Kirk explaining presents under a tree as looking like the skyline for a new Bethlehem, or defending Christmas-related materialism because the holiday is built around a deity being made manifest.
                      The film swept the Razzies with four wins and two nominations. Cameron won not only for worst actor but worst screen combo (Kirk and his ego). What made this film noteworthy is Cameron took to twitter to urge true believers to go on Rotten Tomatoes and give the film a high rating in an attempt to bump up the average viewer rating. The trick backfired as people started going on the site to give the film the worst rating possible.

Cameron has become a full fledged religious whackadoodle. Remember the banana video?

Comment

Originally posted by beakumhawks View Post
                        Kirk Cameron's Saving Christmas has a 0 rating on Rotten Tomatoes with an average reviewer rating of 1.7 out of 10. The film has the captivating plot of Kirk being at a Christmas party at his sister's house but his brother-in-law has a humbug attitude about Christmas, thinking that it has become over commercialized. It is up to Kirk to convince him that Christ is in everything associated with Christmas. Here are some highlights of the reviews

The film swept the Razzies with four wins and two nominations. Cameron won not only for worst actor but worst screen combo (Kirk and his ego). What made this film noteworthy is Cameron took to twitter to urge true believers to go on Rotten Tomatoes and give the film a high rating in an attempt to bump up the average viewer rating. The trick backfired as people started going on the site to give the film the worst rating possible.

Cameron has become a full fledged religious whackadoodle. Remember the banana video?
                        Something very similar happened with the John Travolta Gotti movie that came out a few months ago. Critics hated it, so the studio mobilized people (or bots, it might've been bots) to give it positive ratings on RT, then centered an ill-fated PR campaign around the "divisiveness."

Comment

Working...
                        X