WtW Book Club

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• WtW Book Club

I'm in the middle of "Upon Further Review," a collection of essays from different authors contemplating the ripple effects of alternative realities in sports. For example, what if the US boycotted the 1936 Olympics, if the Supreme Court ruled in favor of Jerry Tarkanian and made it more feasible for big schools to leave the NCAA, if Ali had received a draft deferment and boxed through the Vietnam years, if Title IX was never implemented, and on and on. It's pretty light, but enjoyable.

I am almost finished with the first book of The Expanse series by James SA Corey. Been a pretty good read thus far.

Comment

I'm not an avid reader, I lose attention in a hurry, but I do want to read that Golden State Killer book....or listen to it on my commute, if they have that available yet

Comment

• WestHighHawk
        WestHighHawk commented
        Editing a comment
        Just finished "I'll Be Gone in the Dark". Took me a whole 2 days...could not put it down!!. This one just might hold your attention. It's too bad she didn't live to see the bastard captured.

51iWcEDRW1L._SX329_BO1,204,203,200_.jpg

Just picked this up.

An incredible true tale of espionage and engineering set at the height of the Cold War—a mix between The Hunt for Red October and Argo—about how the CIA, the U.S. Navy, and America’s most eccentric mogul spent six years and nearly a billion dollars to steal the nuclear-armed Soviet submarine K-129 after it had sunk to the bottom of the Pacific Ocean; all while the Russians were watching.

Comment

I’m still working my way through robinsonjim ’s last few posts.

Comment

Reading a book about the Battle of Trafalgar after a trip to Portsmouth and a tour of The Victory. Stood on the spot where Lord Nelson fell.

Nelson.jpg

Comment

• OnePoundSterling
            OnePoundSterling commented
            Editing a comment
            19th century naval warfare was brutal. What book are you reading?

• GardArmighty
            GardArmighty commented
            Editing a comment
            Trafalgar: The Biography of a Battle By Roy Adkins.

I wrote this at the start of May on asoiaf.org where I talk about the most about my reading:

After that I read The Thousand Names by Django Wexler. Wow that was fantastic. Predominantly told in two PsOV as an army makes it way back to a city they had fled after a revolution overthrew the nation's prince (who is a non-factor member of the army's wagon train) and a new, clever colonel has arrived with (very green) reinforcements from across the sea. One of the POV characters is a captain of "low birth" but from a rich merchant family that all died 19 years early in a fire which caused him to seek out this post across the sea to get as far from those memories as possible (most of his fellow captains earned their spots in this army because of failures on their home continent), and the other is a "ranker" (private - and for the first chapter only) who bought her spot in the army as she was fleeing from a "bordering" school that was set to marry her off (sell her) to a farmer in need of wife as they had just done to her lover - the army is males only so she's living a lie and is under constant worry/threat of her secret being discovered. It all sounds a little clichéd as I type this out, but I never once felt that as I was reading it. Highly recommended - especially for fans of Deadhouse Gates by Steven Erikson.

I then did something I haven't done in a very, very long time - I immediately started the second book in the series - The Shadow Throne. I honestly cannot remember the last time I went straight into a subsequent book of a series; I love to hop around genres/authors/series. Loving this second book too. It does kind of make the first book feel like an extended prologue, and that's not a bad things. Especially with the introduction of a third primary POV (each book has one antagonist POV that we did into at the start of each "part").
          Today I started the 5th, and final, book in the series (or at least the main sequence) - The Infernal Battalion. I expected book 4 to end at a low point, but damn was that ever rough.

Comment

• RaiderHawk
            RaiderHawk commented
            Editing a comment
            Thanks for the rec. I just ordered the first book.

Started reading "Natural Causes: An Epidemic of Wellness, the Certainty of Dying and Killing Ourselves to Live Longer" by Barbara Ehreneich. I'm only about 1/3 of the way in, but so far it's a pretty scathing critique of preventive care and the "epidemic" of wellness in the US, ranging from pseudoscience to more generally accepted tenets of physical fitness and health. Its bent feels equally sociopolitical and scientific, which is noteworthy.

GardArmighty, etc. Ever heard of this book/author? She seems to punch equally hard at both generally accepted science that most well-adjusted people don't think twice about and kooky stuff that anyone with half a brain knows to be bunk or at least not nearly as proven as its advocates purport.
          Last edited by NoPantsChico; 09-25-18, 03:55 PM.

Comment

Just finished "Pat the Bunny" last night. Riveting. Going with the Story of Ferdinand next, I hear they made a movie and I want to read the book first. The book is always better than the movie.

Comment

Originally posted by NoPantsChico View Post
              Started reading "Natural Causes: An Epidemic of Wellness, the Certainty of Dying and Killing Ourselves to Live Longer" by Barbara Ehreneich. I'm only about 1/3 of the way in, but so far it's a pretty scathing critique of preventive care and the "epidemic" of wellness in the US, ranging from pseudoscience to more generally accepted tenets of physical fitness and health. Its bent feels equally sociopolitical and scientific, which is noteworthy.

GardArmighty, etc. Ever heard of this book/author? She seems to punch equally hard at both generally accepted science that most well-adjusted people don't think twice about and kooky stuff that anyone with half a brain knows to be bunk or at least not nearly as proven as its advocates purport.
              Interesting! I haven't heard of it but that's definitely right up my alley. I'll check it out. I'm always a bit skeptical when a book on medicine and medical practices are written by non-scientists; sometimes it can be a fresh, objective look at the subject, other times it can be full of misinformation and have some sort of ideological agenda.

I'm listening to Woodward's book now, which is amusing and terrifying.

Comment

Originally posted by GardArmighty View Post

Interesting! I haven't heard of it but that's definitely right up my alley. I'll check it out. I'm always a bit skeptical when a book on medicine and medical practices are written by non-scientists; sometimes it can be a fresh, objective look at the subject, other times it can be full of misinformation and have some sort of ideological agenda.

I'm listening to Woodward's book now, which is amusing and terrifying.
                ooooo, I need to read that!

Comment

It fills in a lot of the details of the shitshow we all know is happening at the White House, and it's told really well. Not just interviews, but a cohesive narrative. It's nuts.

Comment

Sorry, I was referring to NoPantsChico's book. I have no interest in Woodward's book.

Comment

Originally posted by WolfShirtSophomore View Post
                      Sorry, I was referring to NoPantsChico's book. I have no interest in Woodward's book.
                      Haha, I was surprised to see your reaction to that

Comment

Lol.

Comment

Working...
                        X