X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• EasyDisease
    replied
    Originally posted by KarlHungus View Post

Bone mineral density, BMD, decreases substantially in space. Essentially the BMD loss after 1 month in space is equal to the BMD loss of an elderly woman in 1 year. As of now no one has broken a bone in space, and researchers are trying to create models for how the fracture healing process might work. I know of one team using sheep (bone structure similar to humans) to increase the data available for creating computer models that won't require the invasive nature of the current experiments. Another issue with the loss of BMD in space is the body doesn't return to its original levels of bone resorption and creation after spending significant time on Earth again. The physiological changes associated with prolonged space travel are a huge barrier currently.
    I've been told BMD is the only thing that will get you "in" to the program to begin with.

Leave a comment:

• sean
    replied
    I started reading the OP about moon landing and was just sure this topic was going to be about Steph Curry.

Leave a comment:

• KUGDI
    replied
    Happy Anniversary everyone!

Another year has passed. SpaceX has done some incredible things. ULA continues to play a big role in our space capabilities. Companies like the Sierra Nevada Corporation, Amazon, & Virgin are all pushing forward. I feel like we're making progress in ways we never would have thought possible 10 years ago. We've lost some heroes and gained some new ones. A pinhole some poor Russian engineer accidentally drilled into a capsule in the International Space Station nearly caused an international incident. You can now hear the wind on Mars. Voyager 2 just passed into interstellar space.

There is hope!

Now is the time for us to build that foundation that allows us to really get out there.

What is your favorite space story from 2018? Comment below!

Leave a comment:

• KarlHungus
    replied
    Originally posted by jeffbinlawrence View Post
    My concern is some of the issues that have come up with the folks who have had long term assignments on the ISS. There have been some pretty bad physical effects..impact to eyesight, muscle/bone deterioration among other things. What if the humans in our current form aren't capable of surviving long deep space journeys?
    Bone mineral density, BMD, decreases substantially in space. Essentially the BMD loss after 1 month in space is equal to the BMD loss of an elderly woman in 1 year. As of now no one has broken a bone in space, and researchers are trying to create models for how the fracture healing process might work. I know of one team using sheep (bone structure similar to humans) to increase the data available for creating computer models that won't require the invasive nature of the current experiments. Another issue with the loss of BMD in space is the body doesn't return to its original levels of bone resorption and creation after spending significant time on Earth again. The physiological changes associated with prolonged space travel are a huge barrier currently.

Leave a comment:

• KUGDI
    replied
    Originally posted by jeffbinlawrence View Post
    My concern is some of the issues that have come up with the folks who have had long term assignments on the ISS. There have been some pretty bad physical effects..impact to eyesight, muscle/bone deterioration among other things. What if the humans in our current form aren't capable of surviving long deep space journeys?
    I wonder if we could use CRISPR to help with this. Especially for deep space travel. I read a fiction novel where they did something like this, specializing humans for the rigors of deep space through genetic engineering. I don’t remember what it was called though.

Leave a comment:

• goldblueblood
    replied
    From what I've read, using the moon as a launch point/refueling depot is key to having efficient space travel. It may not be worth it for a one time shot to Mars, but if we are ever going to have regular space travel, we need to use the moon. Plus, living on the moon will let us work out the kinks of living in space and figure out how to take care of the medical issues low gravity environments have.

Leave a comment:

• jeffbinlawrence
    replied

Leave a comment:

• sean
    replied
    Agree with Illinij. Let's do multiple deep space adventures in multiple directions with better robots and better cameras and better everything.

Leave a comment:

• illinijhawk
    replied
    Originally posted by Protist View Post
    As much as I love science and exploration and all the unforeseen advances it brings, I'd like to see more of a focus on Planet Earth. We're ass-raping this planet and most people don't seem to care.
    I agree, to some extent. It would be a big "Yay, Us" moment to get back to the moon, however, I think what we're doing on deep space exploration is far more important to learn about our small little place on our little blue marble is far more important than gathering a few moon rocks. I'd much rather those resources be used to reach out further than some dead rock following us. For the cost to get back to the moon, we could sink those resources into developing technology to take us further. I guess if it takes setting up something on the moon to do it, then sure, but it seems to me doing that is like building a gas station at the edge of your subdivision to help you make a drive to New York (assuming you don't live in Jersey or Pennsylvania).

Leave a comment:

• KUGDI
    replied
    Originally posted by dewarsrocks View Post
    Here's some hope, I hope: https://www.cnn.com/2017/12/11/polit...oon/index.html

We ain't scared of no moon aliens
    True story, I hadn’t seen this when I posted that earlier. This is good news. He’d probably describe it as tremendous, but I’ll settle for good.

Leave a comment:

• FrobozMumbar
    replied
    Originally posted by Protist View Post
    As much as I love science and exploration and all the unforeseen advances it brings, I'd like to see more of a focus on Planet Earth. We're ass-raping this planet and most people don't seem to care.
    starwarsanewhope1.jpg

Leave a comment:

• Protist
    replied

Leave a comment:

• dewarsrocks
    replied
    Here's some hope, I hope: https://www.cnn.com/2017/12/11/polit...oon/index.html

We ain't scared of no moon aliens

Leave a comment:

• FrobozMumbar
    replied
    The moon? Who gives a shit about the moon? On this date in 1981, Muhammad Ali fought for the last time, losing a unanimous decision to Trevor Fucking Berbick and ending one of the greatest boxing careers of all time. The moon. Go fuck yourself, space.

Leave a comment:

• KUGDI
    replied
    We need to expand. We need to move forward. Even if you don’t believe in destiny, it’s only a matter of time before something happens to destroy life on earth. We have so much to do still. We can be the Ancients, the Forerunners, the Asgaurdians, etc. Quit waiting for ET to come show us the way. Blaze that trail and humanity will follow.

Getting back to the moon is just a step for us, but man is it a big one. Put together a semi-permanent scientific outpost, like Antarctica, made up of scientists from around the world. Logistically, it makes even more sense to launch our next efforts from our moon.

And no, sending robots isn’t enough. It isn’t who and what we are. Yes there are risks. There are people willing to take those risks.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X