Renamed: Fuck Cable Companies Thread

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Renamed: Fuck Cable Companies Thread

Not posting this on politics cause I'm guessing we're all on the same page (though I'd be interested to hear why you were not)

Hard to believe this is actually happening, but here we are

I sure hope WtW gets lumped into the luxury bundle for internet packages. I want to weed out the poor people who visit here because they are poor and only because they are poor.

Comment

Fucking worst administration ever.

Comment

• Doc Jennison
        Doc Jennison commented
        Editing a comment
        Somewhere Warren G. Harding and Franklin Pierce are smiling.

I just hope my neighbor upgrades his service so his speed doesn't slow down. And I hope he doesn't secure his network.

Comment

• dewarsrocks
        dewarsrocks commented
        Editing a comment
        LOL. Start talking up the sites you like to visit around your neighbor so it's fresh in their mind.

I shot an email to my representative a few months ago asking about it. He basically told me to suck it.

Comment

• Joe Norris
        Joe Norris commented
        Editing a comment
        That's been the experience of most of those that I've heard, which is great considering that they're, you know, representing people that are against this

Such a joke

• Protist
        Protist commented
        Editing a comment
        Except they aren't. They represent the companies that fund their campaigns.

• Joe Norris
        Joe Norris commented
        Editing a comment
        Yes, my post was meant to be sarcastic in nature

Absolute horse shit. They want to snuff innovation, this is how you do it.

Comment

Ajit Pai can go fuck himself. That's how I feel in a nutshell.

Comment

• Joe Norris
          Joe Norris commented
          Editing a comment
          Yeah, I mean, what could go wrong when you put a former Verizon lawyer (at least I recall that's what he was) in charge of the fucking FCC

It just sucks cause I know this won't hit the decision makers where it hurts (like everything else, I guess) and the only folks that suffer are the people

• Protist
          Protist commented
          Editing a comment
          Who put him in charge? Oh...

• FrobozMumbar
          FrobozMumbar commented
          Editing a comment
          Yeah, well there's a reason that I'm not a Republican. The world is not black and white. I agree with about half of the conservative agenda and about half of the liberal agenda. This issue happens to be part of the conservative agenda that I don't agree with.

Originally posted by Oobers View Post
        I shot an email to my representative a few months ago asking about it. He basically told me to suck it.
        Most politiicians (on both sides) just simply don't care what their constiuents want anymore. As long as the big donors are happy, they can prevent people from voting them out for this stuff by flooding the airwaves and mailboxes with culture war crap and the like.

Comment

• Protist
          Protist commented
          Editing a comment
          Yep.

The data infrastructure needs to be declared to be a public utility. As more and more things move to the internet for everyday management, such as banking and healthcare, not to mention up and coming things like remote medicine and a massive shift to online education, there is a strong argument to be made that broadband internet access is becoming a public necessity.
        Last edited by FrobozMumbar; 11-21-17, 01:59 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by GregA View Post

Most politiicians (on both sides) just simply don't care what their constiuents want anymore. As long as the big donors are happy, they can prevent people from voting them out for this stuff by flooding the airwaves and mailboxes with culture war crap and the like.
          No doubt, he's not shy about showing how deep into oil/coal he is.

Comment

Originally posted by FrobozMumbar View Post
            The data infrastructure needs to be declared to be a public utility. As more and more things move to the internet for everyday management, such as banking and healthcare, not to mention up and coming things like remote medicine and a massive shift to online education, there is a strong argument to be made that broadband internet access is becoming a public necessity.
            Absolutely. It is as essential today as electric service.

Comment

Originally posted by RaiderHawk View Post

Absolutely. It is as essential today as electric service.
              It's a basic human right. Like food, medical care, and an Obama fone.

Comment

I am all for free market (the more free, the better), and that's what the thought process is behind this. However, this is one of the few outliers that just doesn't fit due to the barriers to entry into the market. How in the hell is a new provider supposed to enter the marketplace, and thus drive down the cost? As we are seeing, the # of providers is actually shrinking (AT&T/Time Warner). Ultimately, the gov't will have to come back in and correct it.

Comment

• FrobozMumbar
                  FrobozMumbar commented
                  Editing a comment
                  Not only that, but how are new and innovative web-based businesses supposed to come in and compete in an ecosystem that is dominated by the big boys in a pay-for-play scheme?

• Hawker007
                  Hawker007 commented
                  Editing a comment
                  Another good point Fro...it is a conundrum. I need to do some more research on it. I'd like to see what some economists think of it.

• GregA
                  GregA commented
                  Editing a comment
                  Economists are all over the map on it. Unless they are just spouting pure ideology, it seems the economic answer is "It depends." Economists already debate fiercely whether or not a handful of companies have already grown so large that they are effectively monopolies that limit innovation and competition online. When it's those companies that are the most vocally opposed to ending net neutrality, the economic picture gets very murky.

Originally posted by Hawkdogger View Post

It's a basic human right. Like food, medical care, and an Obama fone.
                Last year the UN Human Rights Council passed a non-binding resolution condemning countries that intentionally take away or disrupt people's internet access as a human rights violation.

Comment

• RaiderHawk
                  RaiderHawk commented
                  Editing a comment
                  I don't care what that bunch of commies is up to.

• MissTCShore
                  MissTCShore commented
                  Editing a comment
                  LOL ... can't deny those Nigerian Princes their basic human right to transfer millions of dollars to elderly Americans.

• GregA
                  GregA commented
                  Editing a comment
                  LOL. The Resolution was mostly intended to put pressure on countries that censor the Internet, you know, like the Communist Party in China does.

Imma just leave this right here...
                Update: The Federal Communications Commission has announced a total repeal of Obama-era net neutrality rules, a sweeping rejection of Obama-era rules meant to keep the internet a level playing field and prevent companies from charging additional fees for faster internet access. US telecoms have pledged to broadly respect net neutrality principles, however, and this ruling will...

Comment

Working...
                X