No announcement yet.

This is my science thread

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• She can pippi my longstocking any day!

Comment

• Originally posted by EasyDisease View Post

Lol at the maritime law suggestion (I realize that wasn't you).

In Texas, you own everything above, on, and below your land by default (unless someone else has a prior, superior claim of title). However, the surface estate and subsurface estate (i.e. mineral estate) can be severed. It's common (or at least used to be) for folks to think they're buying a piece of land only to discover that they've merely purchased the surface estate and the subsurface estate belongs to someone else (particularly common in oil-producing states).

To answer the question, if you don't own the meteorite, who else would have a superior claim? I would think the common-law rule of capture would apply, just as it does for extracting well water or capturing game animals on your property.

As to renters, of course you could just nab it and not tell your landlord, but legally speaking I would think the land owner would have a superior claim. Could a renter drill for oil in their backyard and be entitled to the proceeds? I think not.
      If you are in Massachussetts or California, I'm pretty sure it belongs to the state ..... like everything else.

Comment

• New today, and cool.

Comment

• Originally posted by an()maly View Post
          New today, and cool.

Way cool.

Comment

• Protist might like this one (probably has seen it).

Comment

• Anyone else notice the prevalence of tardigrades in a lot of the newer sci do shows/movies?

Comment

• NASA releases a 10 year time lapse of the sun- one second per day for 10 years. Amazing.

https://www.thrillist.com/news/natio...10-years-video

Comment

• Maybe I should have put the LoveBots in here instead of offering them up as a possible Coronavirus party favor -- they really are so much more than that.

Comment

• In case you were wondering if there was any way snakes could get scarier, the answer is YES

Comment

Working...
                    X