This is my science thread

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• This is my science thread

At a time when science is under attack from our government, and basically hated by probably forty percent of our citizens, and largely unknown to about half of them, I have here one little science thread, one candle in the dark, as America dances with the specter of its self-destruction. You may post on my science thread, but hopefully uplifting contributions about science.

We start with something brilliant, educational and creative. You may remember Bohemian Gravity from the musically gifted physics grad student (one of the best amateur YouTubes ever made at the time). He continues to do flabbergastingly great stuff, and here is his take on CRISPR Cas9 and gene editing (listen on good sound system):

If by chance you didn't see it, here is where he started, with a stunning masterpiece:

Comment

Comment

Just watched this last night. This snake is ginormous!!!

https://www.smithsonianmag.com/scien...und-115791429/

Comment

Thanks for the thread. I only hope the stupid that seems so prevalent in our society is just a factor of the stupid being louder, not more numerous.

Comment

Originally posted by JayhawkLifer View Post
            Just watched this last night. This snake is ginormous!!!

https://www.smithsonianmag.com/scien...und-115791429/
            After reading that, I quickly came to the conclusion that the story behind this snake was due in large part to a Bloch Head collaboration. Bet science didn't anticipate that one, did they???

Comment

I just got to spend the weekend at a nerd conference and hung out with my friend who is using CRISPR Cas-9 to modify fruit for improved disease resistance, shelf life, and enhance nutrition for African nations. He just returned from Uganda and had some amazing stories to tell. CRISPR is fucking amazing. They can substitute a SINGLE NUCLEOTIDE in a gene to confer a beneficial mutation without "gene drag" or other issues that can happen with older technologies. CRISPR will revolutionize (and is revolutionizing) science and society.

Comment

• dewarsrocks
                dewarsrocks commented
                Editing a comment
                And so begins the mutant uprising

Science with Kyrie

Also, I have a question. Why is it that the footprints that they saved, because they collected the footprints.

What’s his name? Was it Neil Armstrong? I don’t even know.

Literally, as simple as this: Why is it that the the steps – in terms of the pictures that they say he stepped on – why do they look completely different than the ones that are actually in the museum that he walked with? I just want to know. I just want to know these things. I have questions. I just want to know.

Comment

Thanks for that candle in the dark, Joe. Can you ban yourself? And if you do, how can you let yourself back in if you're not here to let yourself back in?

Comment

This user has been banned
                  Last edited by Joe Norris; 11-02-17, 11:54 AM. Reason: user violated ToS and has been banned indefinitely

Comment

Ta-da, I'm back

Comment

• GardArmighty
                      GardArmighty commented
                      Editing a comment
                      I hope you learned your lesson, bro.

The thing that's amazing about CRISPR is that it's so relatively cheap. But last I heard, enthusiasm was dampening due to some mixed results in Animal testing as well as ethical concerns. Is that not the case?

Comment

• GardArmighty
                      GardArmighty commented
                      Editing a comment
                      I haven't heard that ED. All the info I've gotten (and I am no expert) is that it keeps getter better and cheaper and more precise. But of course, no process or technique is 100% foolproof or error free...

• KUGDI
                      KUGDI commented
                      Editing a comment
                      I’ve heard similar things to what ED has read, but I will say that I do t think it’s so much enthusiasm has dampened so much as they realize they are still a long ways away from practical animal use.

And I’ve also read that many of the leaders are absolutely struggling with the ethics of it. Though maybe that’s just lip service.

My phone might be monitoring our website...
                    Experts debate what amateur scientists could accomplish with the powerful DNA editing tool—and whether its ready availability is cause for concern 

Comment

• Joe Norris
                      Joe Norris commented
                      Editing a comment
                      Was on the front page of reddit as well, just shortly after I read this thread, haha

I was talking with a neurobiologist, and he brought up the ethics of pursuing how the brain functions. He went as far back as Phineas Gage to stress the random event that led to this voyage. He believes we will have a complete understanding of the complexities of our brains within 40-60 years. Although we'll be able to cure myriad diseases with this knowledge, he stressed that it will also give us the ability to control entire populations. The power to control entire populations in the hands of the few is a real and scary possibility.

Comment

• Protist
                      Protist commented
                      Editing a comment
                      It's pretty much already happening, just not in that way.

Comment

Working...
                    X