This is a sticky topic.
X
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Register to view threads.

yes, you must now register to view threads. We would PREFER to allow KU fans and others to have access to threads without logging in or even registering. However, we feel we must make this a requirement for security reasons.

One of of the reasons our old site would go down was due to bots from ip addresses in places like Ukraine and other former Soviet-bloc countries accessing the site. We are experiencing that again, and we think we can reduce our risk of having problems by making this change.

We we know this is going to inconvenience some people who may not feel comfortable registering to view the site, but we feel we must do this to keep this place available for those of us who like to us it.

if you are a guest, even if you are a fan of a rival institution, we welcome you and invite you to register.

We'll be nice. We promise.

Pardon the ignorance but what about the bots causes the site to crash? Just too many views at once? And what is the end game for the bots? Is there a reason for the "attacks" other then bringing a site down? And why bring this site down? Sorry for all the questions, I am just genuinely curious as to the ways and whys of the bots.

Comment

They’re probably trying to mine the site for our combined brilliance. We must protect this house.

Comment

Originally posted by JayhawkLifer View Post
        Pardon the ignorance but what about the bots causes the site to crash? Just too many views at once? And what is the end game for the bots? Is there a reason for the "attacks" other then bringing a site down? And why bring this site down? Sorry for all the questions, I am just genuinely curious as to the ways and whys of the bots.
        Most of the answers would be "I don't know; ask mark hawk, ono, Sean, and joe." I think part of the issue is bandwidth usage. I think the bots are primarily mining websites looking for any personal information like social security numbers, names, email addresses, etc; but I'm not certain on that.

Comment

Soviet bots, just can't keep their nose out of important decisions like WTW and US politics....j/k
          in all seriousness I usually use the site on one of two devices which keep me logged in so having to do so when I use a different or someone else's device was annoying at first, but it has led to me remembering my password which is a good thing probably. Understand and no biggie to me. Now if we go slant where every thing is premium or like those boards that have 20 responses and u click on it and half are premium that would sux. C'mon keep the premium stuff on the premium board! Anyway as far as maintaining a free and the most interesting KU site on the internet I'm sure there is a link to donate regardless how small lol. Probably on board but I'm a scanner sometimes. If not you can pm me or post the info. Thanks u guys do a good job

Comment

Originally posted by hawksalive View Post
            Soviet bots, just can't keep their nose out of important decisions like WTW and US politics....j/k
            in all seriousness I usually use the site on one of two devices which keep me logged in so having to do so when I use a different or someone else's device was annoying at first, but it has led to me remembering my password which is a good thing probably. Understand and no biggie to me. Now if we go slant where every thing is premium or like those boards that have 20 responses and u click on it and half are premium that would sux. C'mon keep the premium stuff on the premium board! Anyway as far as maintaining a free and the most interesting KU site on the internet I'm sure there is a link to donate regardless how small lol. Probably on board but I'm a scanner sometimes. If not you can pm me or post the info. Thanks u guys do a good job
            The link to donate is https://www.wavingthewheat.org/. Upper right below the header banner and AFH image. Thank you for your support!

Comment

Working...
            X