Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Jefe: Scuba Thread

The GF's mom just signed them up for a class and it's tomorrow at 8am

She went and picked up the materials and was told to read and complete 5 chapters and knowledge reviews before class starts

She's excited about it, but is this too short notice? admittedly I haven't leafed through the materials yet, but she'll be at work till ~6

also has to watch a DVD and learn how to read a dive chart...is this possible?

also, any other hints and tips? they're going to do their "jump" (I don't know what this is) at a lake...she'd rather do it in Florida...haha

have you seen your average scuba person? You aren't facking cave diving.

Comment

I have no experience with it...and the dude running the show made it seem like it was rocket surgery

just wanted some confirmation from someone with experience

that said...you have any experience with poseidon?

Comment

poseidon here in Tulsa, that is...not the god of the sea

Comment

Find shark week online.

Watch it.

Stay away from sharks.

Class over.

Comment

nope but it's been around forever so they obviously have not killed anyone. In all honesty, I have never scuba'd but my general line of thinking is if they can teach it to you in a resort pool, how hard can it be?

are you for scuba?

Comment

never been either, and I'm not gonna be in the class this time around...but like I said, that guy made it seem like it was rocket surgery

but I didn't know if she could bs it or not...they supposedly have quizzes and shit

Comment

I went to a 30 minute class in the Cayman Islands, then you had to "test out" once you got in the water, then you went on the tour.

Comment

Originally posted by Joe Norris View Post
                  The GF's mom just signed them up for a class and it's tomorrow at 8am

She went and picked up the materials and was told to read and complete 5 chapters and knowledge reviews before class starts

She's excited about it, but is this too short notice? admittedly I haven't leafed through the materials yet, but she'll be at work till ~6

also has to watch a DVD and learn how to read a dive chart...is this possible?

also, any other hints and tips? they're going to do their "jump" (I don't know what this is) at a lake...she'd rather do it in Florida...haha
                  The dive chart isn't terribly difficult to learn/understand even though it appears complicated at first glance. Basically, it describes how long a diver can stay at certain depths and if safety stops are required (it's recommended to always stop for 3 minutes at 15 ft. even when doing no-decompression dives, which most all recreational divers do). Once the basics of dive physiology and physics are understood, the chart makes plenty of sense even though there are a shit-ton of numbers on it.

Well, her "jump" sounds like her first certification/open water dive. It's good to get that out of the way before the actual dive trip so she can practice and be more confident, plus the dive instructors at the resort or whatever may go through a checklist with her or even a "practice" dive.

Comment

Really the only reason to read through the books is to have yourself accustom to the equipment before you ever enter the water. It helps some people so that they don't freak out as much. I liked having done all the course work so that I knew what I was doing the first time I entered the pool. I felt like a natural the first time I breathed underwater but some people in my class had a hell of a time. They were also losers. Tell your gf to not be a loser.

Comment

Working...
                    X