Life of an iPhone?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Life of an iPhone?

*Note that this thread is not for iPhone haters. I don't want to hear your shit.

How long can one reasonably expect an iPhone to last? I've had my 3G for 20 months. It's been crapping out on me A LOT lately.

Something happened earlier today (maybe I spilled some diet coke on it while furiously rocking a stroller back and forth). Now I can't bring it back to life. This saddens me.

Should I be happy with my 20 months and trade her in?

Fwiw, when I just googled "apple stores in Kauai" my search yielded "Banana Joe's Fruit Stand". I miss civilization.

FWIW, I've had my 3G for 2 1/2 years and it's doing fine. I will go to the 4 when this one craps out, but it's doing ok so far.

Comment

Part of it depends on usage. With my outrageous texting my 3GS lasted about 18 months and the screen lock button went out.

Comment

Get an Android phone.

Comment

I am pretty sure I am laying her to rest for good this time. She's never been down this long. Maybe I'll send her out into the Pacific in style. I'm strangely sad about this. R.I.P. Dazzle (that was her name. Deal with it).

Comment

Originally posted by samandbendrivemetodrink View Post
            (that was her name. Deal with it).
            here ya go...

Comment

Oob, you forgot '/end thread'.

Comment

I'm still rock in a 3g as an iPod...doesn't handle 4.0 too well

Comment

Horrible timing....go with the 3GS for $49 if you can get it. Hopefully (for Apple, that is) the iPhone 5 this summer will fix the flaws of the iPhone 4.

Comment

spilling diet coke all over your phone doesnt mean it's crapping out. That means you broke it...

Comment

Originally posted by KVN638 View Post
                      spilling diet coke all over your phone doesnt mean it's crapping out. That means you broke it...
                      I realize that. BUT it had been shorting out on me and doing funny things for the last few months. There have been lots of times I have had to sync it up or let it lay dormant for a bit to get it to work again. I think it was on its last legs anyway.

Comment

My Blackberry is 5 years old. Still works great and built like a fucking tank. Yeah, you all wish you were as awesome as me what with my cutting-edge ways and endless income.

Comment

This is what I have done since iPhone3G.

Go buy the new one on launch day, re-up your contract (the iPhone one gives you a 12 month upgrade instead of 24 months) and then jailbreak and sell your old one on eBay. Almost all of the time you can get more than what you just bought the new phone for on Ebay with the old phone.

Example. Let's say the new iPhone is $300 with a re-up of the contract. Do it, sell iPhone4 on Ebay. After the new one comes out iPhone4 will STILL be worth $500-600 jailbroken (and unlocked if possible).

Now this doesn't help you since yours is crapping out. What I would suggest is buy a cheapo iPhone 3g on ebay to get you to July when the new ones come out and then start the cycle.

Comment

get a used one off ebay or craigslist to tide you over until the new ones come out.

Comment

I appreciate everyone's good business sense here. But I don't have the time nor motivation to buy a used one online. I NEED MY PHONE NOW!!!!

The good news is I did find an AT&T store here. It's way out of the way of where we are staying but I'll get my husband to humor me and make a trip out there tomorrow.

Does anyone know if they will be able to salvage all my old photos and contacts on a phone that is water-logged? It has been a week since I synched it and I have taken quite a few pictures on our trip when I didn't have my regular camera on me.

Comment

Working...
                              X