Epidural steroid injections

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Epidural steroid injections

Anyone ever had one? Got my first yesterday (I'll have a series of three). Kinda scary, but it was a pretty quick process. Hurt like a mofo too.

Side note, my doc was Russian, and as I was laying there facedown with this gigantic needle stuck in my spine all I could think about was Drago killing Apollo. In a fucking exhibition. So senseless...

Re: Epidural steroid injections

He will crush you.

Hope they help. You got spinal pain or delivering a baby?

Comment

Getting the epidural was always the worst part of having a baby for me. Hurts like hell.

Comment

[quote author=samandbendrivemetodrink link=topic=3690.msg42463#msg42463 date=1297794343]
        Getting the epidural was always the worst part of having a baby for me. Hurts like hell.
        [/quote]

Weird. My wife said that was the easiest part of labor. She waited until she was like 7.5cm, so maybe she was just writhing around in enough pain that the epidural was that much more satisfying.

She also gives people epidurals for a living and basically says about half the people are being giant pussies, acting like it's the worst pain in the world, while the other half treats it like it's nothing.

Comment

[quote author=dewarsrocks link=topic=3690.msg42449#msg42449 date=1297793125]
          He will crush you.

Hope they help. You got spinal pain or delivering a baby?
          [/quote]

LOL, no more babies here. I've had lower back problems for the better part of 20 years. I had a compressed fracture of the L4 vertebrae as a teenager, and now I've developed 3 bulging discs, one of which has a tear that leaks fluid from time to time and causes me a tremendous amount of pain. To top that off, the bottom 3 disks are degenerative and drying out at an advanced rate. YAY! I'll be in a wheelchair before I'm 40! LOL.

The doctors say it's not to the point that surgery is required, but I'm sick of hurting every day. Hopefully the shots will give me some relief.

Comment

deere, I've been in a similar boat, though maybe not quite as extreme. I always implore folks with back pain to give pilates a shot. I've always been pretty active but had some pretty terrible back problems for a decade or so. Same with my sis. It really turned us around. Strengthening your core is really the only physical remedy you're going to get. It's to point now that if I have a flare up, I can hop on a ball or machine and get it worked back into shape.

Comment

[img width=400 height=600]http://farm6.static.flickr.com/5056/5449348104_b0ae989cb9_z.jpg[/img]

Comment

[quote author=KingofCarrotFlowers link=topic=3690.msg42474#msg42474 date=1297796575]
                [quote author=samandbendrivemetodrink link=topic=3690.msg42463#msg42463 date=1297794343]
                [/quote]

Weird. My wife said that was the easiest part of labor. She waited until she was like 7.5cm, so maybe she was just writhing around in enough pain that the epidural was that much more satisfying.

She also gives people epidurals for a living and basically says about half the people are being giant pussies, acting like it's the worst pain in the world, while the other half treats it like it's nothing.
                [/quote]

I waited til I was 7cm with my first to get the epidural (with the other two, I asked for it the minute I was admitted). And that first one was still the worst of the three. I have a pretty high tolerance for pain. But all three anesthesiologists have made comments that the area that they stick the needle is "tight" on me and it made it difficult to get the needle in correctly. It took the first guy three times to get it right...I could totally feel him digging around back there with the needle. It was TWO YEARS later when I was at the gym on the stairmaster and I heard this familiar voice behind me. I immediately got the chills and I I knew right away that it was that damn anesthesiologist...I would recognize that voice behind me any day. That is how traumatized the experience left me.

Comment

[quote author=samandbendrivemetodrink link=topic=3690.msg42530#msg42530 date=1297808980]
                  [quote author=KingofCarrotFlowers link=topic=3690.msg42474#msg42474 date=1297796575]
                  [/quote]

[/quote]

I waited til I was 7cm with my first to get the epidural (with the other two, I asked for it the minute I was admitted). And that first one was still the worst of the three. I have a pretty high tolerance for pain. But all three anesthesiologists have made comments that the area that they stick the needle is "tight" on me and it made it difficult to get the needle in correctly. It took the first guy three times to get it right...I could totally feel him digging around back there with the needle. It was TWO YEARS later when I was at the gym on the stairmaster and I heard this familiar voice behind me. I immediately got the chills and I I knew right away that it was that damn anesthesiologist...I would recognize that voice behind me any day. That is how traumatized the experience left me.
                  [/quote]

This post is chock full of win. :devil:

Comment

[quote author=sweaterbydarwin link=topic=3690.msg42523#msg42523 date=1297806567]
                    deere, I've been in a similar boat, though maybe not quite as extreme. I always implore folks with back pain to give pilates a shot. I've always been pretty active but had some pretty terrible back problems for a decade or so. Same with my sis. It really turned us around. Strengthening your core is really the only physical remedy you're going to get. It's to point now that if I have a flare up, I can hop on a ball or machine and get it worked back into shape.
                    [/quote]

I'll try anything. The wife is trying to get me to try yoga. I may look into it.

Comment

Seek out a place that has the pilates reformers. Flexibility is likely only part of the issue. The reformer adds resistance as well. I'd be willing to bet that if you devoted yourself to dropping a few extra pounds and engaging in some strengthening exercises, you would see an pretty dramatic decrease in the amount of pain you have.

Comment

[quote author=thedeerehunter link=topic=3690.msg42620#msg42620 date=1297824738]
                        [quote author=samandbendrivemetodrink link=topic=3690.msg42530#msg42530 date=1297808980]
                        [/quote]

[/quote]

[/quote]

[/quote]

Perv.

Comment

[quote author=samandbendrivemetodrink link=topic=3690.msg42636#msg42636 date=1297835004]
                          [quote author=thedeerehunter link=topic=3690.msg42620#msg42620 date=1297824738]
                          [/quote]

[/quote]

[/quote]

[/quote]

Perv.
                          [/quote]

And you wouldn't want me any other way. :shades:

Comment

I had an epidural when I was 20 when I had surgery to repair a hernia. The hernia made my nuts hurt, but the epidural wasn't anything.

Also, you just posted the other day how you were 35 and not afraid of anything, now I hear you're gonna be in a wheel chair. You are a liar.

Comment

[quote author=Milo Minderbinder link=topic=3690.msg42665#msg42665 date=1297874172]
                              I had an epidural when I was 20 when I had surgery to repair a hernia. The hernia made my nuts hurt, but the epidural wasn't anything.

Also, you just posted the other day how you were 35 and not afraid of anything, now I hear you're gonna be in a wheel chair. You are a liar.
                              [/quote]

Exactly what did I lie about?

Comment

Working...
                              X